Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:07 AM

263 posts, read 798,591 times

Advertisements

L. A. actually became great during the Olympics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 07:23 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times
I forgot to mention Los Angeles. That city has improved a lot in the recent years, and I think it will continue to improve. The crime rate is much lower now than it was about 15 years ago. Los Angeles is becoming more like the New York of the West Coast, with more mass transit available while just recently, you needed a car to get around L.A. The L.A. skyline is also growing, and is having more culture such as the orchestra. Also, L.A. Live has opened up adjacent to Staples Center, which is L.A.'s rival to Times Square in New York.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:58 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coem View Post
I read an article not long ago about what some scientists will think the effects of climate change will have on certain parts of the country 50-75 years from now. They said that both the Southwest and Southeast will become much more dry as well as even more hot. If this is true, then I would predict that cities in the Northeast and Northwest will have a brighter future.
I agree. Those cities with the BRIGHTEST futures are those cities with politicians and policies either planned or being implemented to combat global warming--such as curbing automobile emissions, automobile traffic, restricting highway use, encouraging mass transit (through building/planning more), and planning for smart water useage.

Atlanta is on the BOTTOM of lists from each category above. Atlanta needs to get its act together, or it will definitely be suffering 30 years from now. Portland, Oregon is a very smart city in terms of planning. I'd pick it or a city in the northeast any day over any city in the southeast.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:00 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I forgot to mention Los Angeles. That city has improved a lot in the recent years, and I think it will continue to improve. The crime rate is much lower now than it was about 15 years ago. Los Angeles is becoming more like the New York of the West Coast, with more mass transit available while just recently, you needed a car to get around L.A. The L.A. skyline is also growing, and is having more culture such as the orchestra. Also, L.A. Live has opened up adjacent to Staples Center, which is L.A.'s rival to Times Square in New York.
Yeah, but is LA dealing with their water issues? And if so, how well??? Water is going to be the #1 issue with Los Angeles and its future. Also, the sprawl and traffic are still terrible. LA should start building a much more extensive subway system and encourage useage.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:37 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I agree. Those cities with the BRIGHTEST futures are those cities with politicians and policies either planned or being implemented to combat global warming--such as curbing automobile emissions, automobile traffic, restricting highway use, encouraging mass transit (through building/planning more), and planning for smart water useage.

Atlanta is on the BOTTOM of lists from each category above. Atlanta needs to get its act together, or it will definitely be suffering 30 years from now. Portland, Oregon is a very smart city in terms of planning. I'd pick it or a city in the northeast any day over any city in the southeast.
Cosign. Sustainability is EXTREMELY important now, and autocentric living is clearly going the way of the phonograph.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:47 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
3-4 hours? Any drive over 2 hours requires a flight. 3-4 hours? That's the same drive as L.A. to Vegas.
I think that's a matter of conjecture...I won't fly unless it's a 6 hr+ drive. Atlanta to Savannah is a 4 hr drive, but if you flew there:

You would drive and park at the airport, and check in (1hr)
Have to be there 1 hr before the flight (1 hr)
Fly to Savannah and hope your flight is on time (45 min)
Arrive and wait for bags, get rental car (30-45 min)
Drive to destination (30-45 min)

Hmm...don't see the advantage.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:50 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
LA is too expensive, it does not have a chance. Same for Miami. The only way a city can be competitive in a "global" economy is to have inexpensive resources available for business. California and much of Florida are currently obsolete.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:54 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,628 times
I lived in metro Atlanta for a couple of years. While I think it is a great place, the area suffers from constant bad publicity. There is always some crazy media story coming out of the area that makes the place seem quite disfunctional.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:00 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
What cities do you think have potential to have the brightest future? I would actually pick Atlanta. Many on this board have mentioned that Atlanta will become the next Detroit, but I actually think its going to get better in the long run. There are many new developments being built such as the Midtown Mile and Streets of Buckhead, and the Beltine project is currently in the process. It just needs to expand the public transit more.

Chicago is another city that has had many achievements recently, and could continue to improve in the next decade, especially if they host the 2016 Olympics. Seattle is another city where the future looks good, and maybe Portland and Denver.
what do you mean by "brightest future"? If by design and beauty thats one conversation. Sustainability both economically and socially, thats another.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:17 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
I lived in metro Atlanta for a couple of years. While I think it is a great place, the area suffers from constant bad publicity. There is always some crazy media story coming out of the area that makes the place seem quite disfunctional.
Wow - another prime example hits the media today. Former Atlanta Mayor Bill Campbell (in prison for tax evasion) claims he is a champagne alcoholic, as he tries to get early release. He claimed on earlier accounts that he disliked the taste of alcohol, and only used the beverages to toast on special occasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.