Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:42 AM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Stamford, CT. Home to General Electric. They bring good things to light.
Good one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 08:46 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Good one!
Thanks! This truly is an illuminating thread.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:12 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Europe will NOT get the next two unannounced games. One tops. But Africa and South America will get at least one of those.
Africa has almost no chance to host the Olympics anytime soon.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:30 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
Default Hotlanta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Did you really? Well, then you must like to eat at chain restaurants, since you claim that's all we have here.
Uh, I don't recall saying that Atlanta only had chain restaurants. The only time I mentioned food was when I said I loved it.

However, the place is one big soulless office park. That can't be denied. Ok, with the exception of a couple of in-town neighborhoods, which could actually be found anywhere. Atlanta. I just don't get it. General Sherman is, was, and will always be my hero. Long live Savannah! He spared it 'cause it's beautiful.

Last edited by creepsinc; 06-16-2008 at 10:23 PM..

Old 06-16-2008, 09:32 PM

Also, I like Decatur. The international market is great. Well, I guess that's in Avondale Estates or something. I forgot, it's been a long time. For all I know, Atlanta could be wonderful now, I haven't been back in at least 5 years.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:57 PM

Here's the deal. Once upon a time, this nation was an industrial powerhouse. Eventually, like everything does, that fell apart. Meet The Rust Belt. However, I don't see any new cities being built, which means these things will go in cycles. Currently hip, happening places like Seattle, Portland, Austin, Charlotte, Atlanta and anywhere else that was built on paper wealth are just one or two natural/financial disasters away from being the new Rust Belt. Next 30 years? Detroit (when it's done purging itself), Pittsburgh (already starting), Cleveland, Buffalo, and anywhere else with emerging new industries and lots of empty Victorians. Just watch. NYC, Chicago, Boston, D.C., S.F., etc aren't going anywhere, obviously. The Sun Belt is a flash in the pan though, in the big scheme of things. L.A., as always, isn't a real city and thus is not included in any of my projections.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:45 PM

18 posts, read 37,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Here's the deal. Once upon a time, this nation was an industrial powerhouse. Eventually, like everything does, that fell apart. Meet The Rust Belt. However, I don't see any new cities being built, which means these things will go in cycles. Currently hip, happening places like Seattle, Portland, Austin, Charlotte, Atlanta and anywhere else that was built on paper wealth are just one or two natural/financial disasters away from being the new Rust Belt. Next 30 years? Detroit (when it's done purging itself), Pittsburgh (already starting), Cleveland, Buffalo, and anywhere else with emerging new industries and lots of empty Victorians. Just watch. NYC, Chicago, Boston, D.C., S.F., etc aren't going anywhere, obviously. The Sun Belt is a flash in the pan though, in the big scheme of things. L.A., as always, isn't a real city and thus is not included in any of my projections.
Houston should remain viable with the port. With rising energy costs though, residents are gonna have to start working closer to home.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:44 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
When you say: "NYC, Chicago, Boston, D.C., S.F., etc aren't going anywhere, obviously." do you mean they are staying at the top or staying where they are as they get passed up?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:11 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,368 times
Omaha is in a huge period of growth. I met a man who moved here from New York the other day, and he said, "Manhattan's got nothing on Omaha," and while I doubt that feeling is shared by everyone, Omaha's low cost of living, and shortest commute time in the country make it easy to live in, while the downtown attractions make it fun to live in. It's a win-win situation, and as long as people see that, there's no end in sight for this city's development.

Sioux Falls, SD is a great city. It is forward thinking, and while right now it's still a small city, I definately see it up and coming. The city is beautiful and the residents are dedicanted to growth. I only see good things in this city's future.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
When you say: "NYC, Chicago, Boston, D.C., S.F., etc aren't going anywhere, obviously." do you mean they are staying at the top or staying where they are as they get passed up?
I mean that status-wise, they're pretty much at the pinnacle. They're not going to turn into ghost towns, but I don't think they can get any "hotter", so to speak. I guess DC doesn't really belong on the list, but it's like two separate cities anyway. I didn't include Houston because I've never been there and I talk enough sh*t on Austin. I guess I'm referring mostly to the trendy "it" cities of the present. It can't last. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I see the Rust Belt cities coming back in a big way in the next 5-10 years.

Also, I would never talk trash on Omaha or Kansas City or Des Moines or any other 2nd or 3rd tier Midwestern city. I'm sure they're perfectly pleasant places to live, though not for me. I save all my ire for places like Seattle and Atlanta. Places where I've lived and have personally experienced over a period of years. They don't live up to their hype and are basically places to climb the corporate ladder and live in overpriced McMansions and sit in traffic. Sure, Seattle is in a beautiful location, but it'd be more beautiful without the bland, soulless city that somebody dropped in the middle of it.

Last edited by creepsinc; 06-17-2008 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: adding stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.