Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:27 PM

23,310 posts, read 43,763,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Atlanta. I just don't get it.
It doesn't get you, either.
Oh, well, I guess for now we can only aspire to be as great as Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 07:30 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,713,667 times
^ I agree! Pittsburgh is a very good model that Atlanta SHOULD follow. Nice, Pedestrian friendly, dense city with great old and interesting neighborhoods . I don't see why you gotta bash it? Its a really nice city

Old 06-17-2008, 08:39 PM

9,866 posts, read 14,195,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Atlanta has a nice climate and good pro-business government, but the downtown area still needs a lot of work. It feels very dead compared to DC, Boston, and Chicago, and even Buckhead/Midtown feel more like overgrown suburbs with chain restaurants than urban neighborhoods.

Overall, it's not a bad place, but Atlanta needs more museums and fewer minivans to become a truly world class city.
Amen--I agree with that. Atlanta's got a way to go in order to "infill" these quiet/almost dead areas surrounding downtown. I think they are building towards that, but as you mentioned--Atlanta has nothing on Boston, Chicago, DC, or even Philly in terms of inner-city true neighborhoods & 24/7 activity.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:44 PM

9,866 posts, read 14,195,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
Omaha is in a huge period of growth. I met a man who moved here from New York the other day, and he said, "Manhattan's got nothing on Omaha," .
Uhm. What was this guy smokin?? Yeah, Omaha's got some cornfields Manhattan can't touch.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:02 PM

23,310 posts, read 43,763,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
^ I agree! Pittsburgh is a very good model that Atlanta SHOULD follow. Nice, Pedestrian friendly, dense city with great old and interesting neighborhoods . I don't see why you gotta bash it? Its a really nice city
Oh, I see...I should sit here, shut up and watch my town get trashed over and over by people that don't have a clue about it. Didn't know how this worked.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:24 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,653,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh, I see...I should sit here, shut up and watch my town get trashed over and over by people that don't have a clue about it. Didn't know how this worked.
Some people practically say thats what I should do, and don't worry, I love Atlanta just like you, my aunt lives in Duluth.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

^ wow I'm sorry. I honestly didn't mean anything by it. i didn't try to deny you of you're opinion or make you 'shut up'. I just think Pittsburgh is a nice city that shouldn't be bashed. thats all. I mean, you should totally stick up for you're city but not by trashing others. Sorry dude, i wasn't trying to be rude or pushy or anything.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:04 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,272,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Uhm. What was this guy smokin?? Yeah, Omaha's got some cornfields Manhattan can't touch.
while I've already stated that I doubt many people in NY agree with that,I can see his point. No bogged down roads, no smog, fewer rude people, a close knit community, less insignificant feeling on a city-wide level, safer to walk down the street, without sacraficing city-life or urban feel. The big difference is the number of people, and landmarks, we still have plenty to do, and are consistanly getting better. I'd live in Omaha over NY anyday.

BTW. Omaha's a city, not cornfields, I'm increasingly enraged at that stereotype.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:38 PM

^ way to throw out like every NY stereotype. He Was likely joking around.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:38 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,207,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
"Manhattan's got nothing on Omaha,"
Are you sure he didn't mean Manhattan, Kansas??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.