U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities would you most like to live in?
Chicago 25 22.94%
Dallas 3 2.75%
Boston 19 17.43%
Houston 10 9.17%
Providence 3 2.75%
Seattle 14 12.84%
Phoenix 3 2.75%
Denver 8 7.34%
San Diego 24 22.02%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 06:07 PM

4,973 posts, read 7,641,227 times

Advertisements

I pick my city, San Diego. It doesn't have the architecture of Chicago or Boston (honestly I think St. Louis beats 'em both for that) or the beautiful mountains nearby like Denver or Seattle but honestly there are few big cities so delightfully easy to live in and enjoy than San Diego. Great urban neighborhoods, canyons, the beautiful Pacific Ocean (of course) a compact and easy to explore downtown on the bay and despite its reputation as culturally lacking (and it of course doesn't stand up to the handful of top cities in this regards) it nonetheless has plenty of great museums, parks, neighborhood/civic festivals and events. I'm enjoying plenty of ballet, symphony, opera and theatre along with being able to walk downtown from my house to the ball games or watch college basketball in the winter so it suits me just fine, all with being a super safe city. And you can't beat the recreational activities available in our near perfect climate.

I haven't been but have a sense about Dallas and Houston- fairly happening big cities with some great culture, sports and real friendly folks inhabiting them, but the infamous views of forever parking lots of Houston just turn me off (and I can't stand humidity) and they both are famously spread out and car centric. I don't doubt I would have a good time in either city (from what I know it seems I would like Ft. Worth better by its described layout) but not to live there. Providence is supposed to be a great looking and happening city for its size.

The others I've all been to and genuinely enjoy to visit, but they each have for me some if not fatal, very undesirable aspects that would weigh heavily against me living there. Chicago- the weather and crime. Boston- the weather and the famously provincial and often frosty attitudes of its residents. Seattle- the drizzle and gray (I love rain but not 9 mos of drizzle) also, the "Seattle Chill" does have some merit to its legend. Phoenix- no way! Actually I like the old parts but too spread out- the nice, new areas remind me of Orange County (in its suburban antiseptic way) and four months out of the year it is basically unlivable.

Now Denver I could live in, reminds me a lot of San Diego actually, but I would miss the ocean and don't think there is as happening and beautiful village-like historic neighborhood directly adjacent downtown as mine to replicate the near perfection I have here, so I'll stay here in happy San Diego thank you very much. Boulder is pretty damn near perfection though.

Last edited by T. Damon; 06-25-2013 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 01:32 AM

494 posts, read 676,148 times
Chicago with Boston a close 2nd. I like a bigger city ( which Chicago has ) and i enjoy winter and snow as well so yeah. Then with Boston i like the historic value etc. Besides that ofcourse all of my family lives along the eastcoast and in this region. Seattle would be my 3rd pick followed by San Diego and Providence. Phoenix is at the bottom as i could not take the miserable summers there. Dallas would not be much better either especially being in tornado alley. Houston has a ton going for it ( growth/jobs ) so yeah it is slightly ranked higher but not by much as the high heat and horrible humidity would suck as well as living with the constant threat of a major hurricane. Denver has never really interested me or cause me to have much against it either and thus i am meh on it.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:03 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,525,952 times
Out of those, Seattle. Denver being a close second, and San Diego being a far third.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:46 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,134,749 times
Houston, because i enjoy the monsoon thunderstorm and humidity, warm weather, palm trees, and it looks pretty diverse. It has close access to beautiful Gulf beaches and New Orleans. The one thing I think I'd hate about it is the sprawl and the smog that comes with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.