U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:06 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,157,019 times

Advertisements

Both have very high standards of living. Both have lots of wealthy people. Neither is the wealthiest of its own state, though. I think Forbes ranked Howard County higher than Montgomery and Bergen came in 4th or 5th in New Jersey.

Both have tacky strip mall corridors (Routes 4 and 17 in Bergen, Rockville Pike in Montgomery)

Bergen has NJ Transit connections to NYC
Montgomery has MARC and Metro connections to DC

Both are expensive places to live.

I think I would lean toward Bergen, however. I love the little village centers in northern Bergen County. Westwood, Oradell, Glen Rock, Ridgewood, etc. More intimiate settings than places like Bethesda, Silver Spring, Kensington, Wheaton, etc.

But really overall I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 10:14 AM

697 posts, read 2,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soho111 View Post
Why yes, I suppose I am classified as one.
No offense, but judging from your posts (in both content and grammar), I find that hard to believe.

I don't really care anyways.

I do find it interesting that you feel a place with a lower income per capita is much more wealthier because of a few more millionaires.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:55 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,217,898 times
Bergen County is pretty wealthy, but it's not the wealthiest county in New Jersey (It's actually in fourth place). Morris, Somerset, and Hunterdon counties are way wealthier than Bergen. In my opinion, they are nicer too (Bergen is overrated). If I had to pick a favorite, it would have to be Hunterdon; it's beautiful. I can't really comment on Montgomery County, MD. I've only driven thorough it (but I did like what I saw).

Per Capita Income (2000):
Somerset County, NJ: $37,970
Morris County, NJ: $36,964
Hunterdon County, NJ: $36,370
Bergen County, NJ: $33,638

Median Household Income (2000):
Hunterdon County, NJ: $79,888
Morris County, NJ: $77,340
Somerset County, NJ: $76,933
Bergen County, NJ:$65,241

Last edited by Busch Boy; 06-12-2008 at 01:08 PM..

Old 06-12-2008, 03:22 PM

149 posts, read 154,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
No offense, but judging from your posts (in both content and grammar), I find that hard to believe.

I don't really care anyways.

I do find it interesting that you feel a place with a lower income per capita is much more wealthier because of a few more millionaires.
You know, that would be pretty unfortunate if I held the opinion of someone such as yourself to a higher of, I don't know... a common streetwalker. If it's any of your business, I come from plenty of money and it's a pity I don't come across as a "millionaire" on city-data seeing I so desperately seek your acceptance and the rest of your fabulous Montgomery County-Maryland set. You see, I'm just a mere 21 year old Columbia student so please excuse my apparent pauperism!

In any case, I'm still sticking to my opinion that Montgomery County and the rest of "exclusive" Maryland is nothing more than a big yawn inducing, dead end, try-hard suburbia ! Get over it!

Old 06-12-2008, 03:34 PM

162 posts, read 218,689 times
Ouch..

Old 06-12-2008, 03:39 PM

697 posts, read 2,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soho111 View Post
You know, that would be pretty unfortunate if I held the opinion of someone such as yourself to a higher of, I don't know... a common streetwalker. If it's any of your business, I come from plenty of money and it's a pity I don't come across as a "millionaire" on city-data seeing I so desperately seek your acceptance and the rest of your fabulous Montgomery County-Maryland set. You see, I'm just a mere 21 year old Columbia student so please excuse my apparent pauperism!

In any case, I'm still sticking to my opinion that Montgomery County and the rest of "exclusive" Maryland is nothing more than a big yawn inducing, dead end, try-hard suburbia ! Get over it!
Yawn. Like I said, I don't really care who you are. You are just another faceless poster on a message board.

I don't really live in Montgomery County, nor do I wish to "represent" it. And I agree with you that if I had to choose, it probably would be Bergen since it is closer to NYC. I was just correcting what I thought was blatant misinformation.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:36 PM

845 posts, read 2,481,176 times
I would say Montgomery County because I lived there as a kid and it's not in New Jersey.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:36 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,323,692 times
I can't speak for Bergen county, but Montgomery county is very suburban. However there are some really nice and young cities there like Bethesda and Silver Spring which are really good, but if you don't live in those cities, it's very much just suburbia (not all of it, but most). i don't know what you really like though so, if you like suburbia, Montgomery county would be nice

Old 06-13-2008, 09:27 AM

4,953 posts, read 8,539,933 times
Parts of Montgomery County are more urban than Bergen County in my opinion. Does Bergen have any areas (CBD) like Bethesda & Silver Spring?

Old 06-13-2008, 09:47 AM

54 posts, read 123,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Income per Capita

Montgomery County, MD - $35,684

Bergen County, NJ - $33,638

Personal per Capita Income

Montgomery County, MD - $59,953

Bergen County, NJ - $56,725

Median Household Income (2006)

Montgomery County, MD - $87,624

Bergen County, NJ - under $80,449 (didn't rank in top 20 for 2006)

Highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There is a difference between income and wealth. Montgomery County may have a higher income but Bergen is very old money wealthy.

Maryland is not wealthy. Rich maybe, but wealthy no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.