U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 02:37 PM

4,908 posts, read 12,522,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

Detroit, Philly, Newark....war zones are probably far from boring
I believe I've had to chastise you before on your slow-witted erroneous comments pertaining to Philadelphia. How someone can be so ignorant and clueless with the world at their fingertips is beyond me. If Philadlephia is a war zone then so are approximately 40 other major US cities that rank above them in the most dangerous US city category.

America's Safest (and Most Dangerous) Cities

Philadelphia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 03:08 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,049,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
People do take seriously what I have to say on the subject of Omaha. The problem is we have a couple of people that are artificially inflating the importance of Omaha as a cultural mecca, financial center and economic powerhouse as it relates to much larger and more important metropolitan areas. I don't think any of the people that are taking you and Go NE to task are going to claim that Omaha is a dying back water whose better days are behind it. On the contrary, I've stated it is an up and coming city and seems to have a decent future. But to constantly harp about how allegedly great it is and then Go NE claiming that someone said "NYC has nothing on Omaha" is not only absurd but bordering on the insane. You need to be taken to task for some of these statements and in fact, Go NE has just been exposed by someone in the "Cities with the Brightest Future" string.

Actually it was me who said "manhattan's got nothing on Omaha," but that is an actual quote from a man I rang up at the department store I work at after he's just moved to the city with his mother, and I've heard at least one New Yorker claim we don't know "how lucky we are" after he left Omaha after spending a week. Before the trip mind you he was badmouthing Omaha left and right.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:28 PM

5,721 posts, read 9,086,134 times
The people that I have encountered over the years that bad mouth Omaha have done it after visiting or living there. I've never heard of anyone bad mouthing the place without at least visiting first. As far as the guy from NY is concerned I suspect he'll regain full use of his mental faculties after a few months once he realizes Omaha cannot match NY in the areas of culture and entertainment.

Again, I am not saying it is a bad place. But it is going to be decades before the place can truly start to compete with bigger, more established metro areas. That simple.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:31 PM

Nice to see Hartford finally made it off the Top 25 most dangerous cities.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:58 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,049,995 times
Quote:
The people that I have encountered over the years that bad mouth Omaha have done it after visiting or living there. I've never heard of anyone bad mouthing the place without at least visiting first. As far as the guy from NY is concerned I suspect he'll regain full use of his mental faculties after a few months once he realizes Omaha cannot match NY in the areas of culture and entertainment.

Again, I am not saying it is a bad place. But it is going to be decades before the place can truly start to compete with bigger, more established metro areas. That simple.
Actually, I disagree to a certain extent. I've never heard of more than one visitor (not resident, I think most people find it easy to get tired of anyplace after a while) who badmouthed Omaha after the fact. Most are really complimentary.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:19 PM

Unfortunately that has not been the case in my world. Aside from my Father's brother in Connecticut, most everyone I've met and talked to about Omaha that has either visited or lived there does not have a great deal of positive things to say about it.

I know that when I lived there they used to pour raw untreated sewage into the river just south of downtown. Local TV actually gave warnings to people during newscasts to avoid going into the water below an area just south of downtown because some sewage treatment plant was dumping untreated waste into the river. I think it was just below the Veterans Memorial Bridge. I hope they are not doing that today.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:26 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,703,819 times
Quote:

But it is going to be decades before the place can truly start to compete with bigger, more established metro areas. That simple.
20 maybe? In the Omaha World Herald a while back, economists, census takers, and other significant people from all over the country estimated that by 2028, Omaha would have a metro of 2 million. I don't know if that includes
Lincoln, which puts us to a metro of 1.2 million or if it doesn't its around 830,000.

And by the way, High school, who cares really?

Old 06-23-2008, 03:27 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,453,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
20 maybe? In the Omaha World Herald a while back, economists, census takers, and other significant people from all over the country estimated that by 2028, Omaha would have a metro of 2 million. I don't know if that includes
Lincoln, which puts us to a metro of 1.2 million or if it doesn't its around 830,000.

And by the way, High school, who cares really?

you sure want your population to explode dont you, I think you and the other from Omaha done invited everyone that is thinking of relocating

Old 06-23-2008, 06:59 AM

It won't explode all that much except with people moving in from adjacent states. Many people that move there from other areas of the country are not likely to settle there once they discover the "culture shock" of the area. That certainly has been the case for me in this region. Being from Connecticut I've found both Kansas City and Omaha to be in another world separate of New England. Everything from the climate to the culture and mentality of the people is more or less the exact opposite of the Northeast. I've got a friend from Alabama that has said the same thing when comparing it to the South. To put it in a diplomatic light, Missouri, Nebraska and much of Kansas is an acquired taste for many.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:48 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
you sure want your population to explode dont you, I think you and the other from Omaha done invited everyone that is thinking of relocating
I told you, our news paper said that, the Omaha World Herald is our newpaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or