U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 09:13 AM

32,377 posts, read 55,190,768 times

Advertisements

Probably Tucson.

I dont need amenities the way I used to and as far as big city living, after the Bay Area, New York, Sao Paulo, London and Bangalore, India-a change of pace might do me some good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 11:23 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,429,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Tucson, hands down:[list][*]Superior climate, especially during the monsoon season. If you have never experienced a monsoon rain in Tucson you are truly missing out on life!
What am I missing? Some lightning, mild winds, rainfall that floods the streets with raging torrents of filthy water? No thanks.

If you want real thunderstorms, head to TX, OK, KS, etc. Tucson's monsoons are childsplay. Dirty, dusty, weak childsplay.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:52 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,725,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
What am I missing? Some lightning, mild winds, rainfall that floods the streets with raging torrents of filthy water? No thanks.

If you want real thunderstorms, head to TX, OK, KS, etc. Tucson's monsoons are childsplay. Dirty, dusty, weak childsplay.
It's the desert fragrance that fills the air right after it rains. Sorry, you're not going to get smells quite like that in the Great Plains states (I could care less how much lightning and hail and tornadoes they get). And the incredible colors in the sky. And the way the mountains look when wet. My point is that Tucson experiences this season much more intensely than Phoenix. Phoenix will often get very humid and windy, with a lot of dust blowing around, but no rain and no cooling effect. Maybe you need to book a flight to TUS next month and experience what I'm talking about???

Old 07-04-2008, 11:52 AM

41 posts, read 108,337 times
this should of been a pole, because pheonix is outvoted 20 to none!

hate both cities with a passion, because i cant stand the heat, but i still go with Tucson because it starts with a T... Ha!

vision-quest

Old 07-04-2008, 10:51 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,051,324 times
Ehh...I'd pick Phoenix. There's significantly more to do and the neighborhoods are nicer (Scottsdale, etc.).

Phoenix is slightly hotter, but I don't think it matters too much. Once you get over 105, it all feels the same - hot.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:00 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,652,927 times
Definitely Tucson. Better outdoor recreation opportunities and a smaller city with a more laid back vibe. Plus, Tucson has a quicker escape to cool weather in the summer -- a drive to the top of Mt. Lemmon will take under an hour and the temperature a the top is usually a good 30-40 degrees cooler than the valley floor.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:35 AM

147 posts, read 339,047 times
I don't know if this counts, but Phoenix metro? Phoenix has some great things, but I prefer the suburbs, most of which are huge cities just by themselves. Phoenix is nice, but Tempe, Scottsdale, and Mesa have some exceptional parts that make them unique and fun. Tucson just isn't what I want right now, besides my job is now in Phoenix. Now if you want really, REALLY nice, check out Paradise Valley! Of course, the rich of the rich call that place home, so of course it is.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:03 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,051,324 times
^Exactly. If I were to live in AZ, it would definitely be Scottsdale or Tempe.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:12 PM

345 posts, read 384,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Lets see... do you take the Hellspawn, never-ending, blast furnace heat in PHX, coupled with a few decent burbs and a bunch of crappy ones, with more amenties than Tucson? Or do you take shady old Tucson, which is a bit cooler and less white-collar, that has less to do and isnt very appealing in most areas.

Hmmm. Tough call.

My answer? Shoot me in the face with a bazooka. lol

I could handle a place like North Scottsdale or Carefree, maybe even a little Fountain Hills or Cave Creek thrown in, thats about it. I also wouldnt mind Jerome or Winslow, but definitely NOT Phoenix OR Tucson... gag me with a spoon.
Funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.