Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:37 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,334,399 times

Advertisements

The post was more of a rant about prices than picking on a certain people. That's why the topic said generalizing. I'm not stupid enough to not realize that there re people in those areas with the same problems. A lot of its my fault and I wont try and place that blame on another. My point was if you look at many areas that aren't seeing high growth they're still very expensive and unobtainable for the average family. Lets take New Hampshire as an example. There's hardly anybody there and prices will make the average family dizzy just looking at them. Its suppose to be a family state but its prices are for the wealthy only. Same with Montana. Tons of land, and if you look at prices there you can see how messed up its housing market is. Supply and demand is just not acceptable for me to agree with. Only in cases like Hawaii. But there should always be as much or more affordable housing than their should wealthy housing. You don't see that in a lot of cities.

Can someone explain to me why housing is even based on people's income in the first place? I mean in the old days if you went to buy a home did the sellers eyes light up and ask you how how much do you make?

Sorry for blaming and generalizing. It was more or less the best way to draw attention. My "personal" habits are not going to land me a house since people love to use a personal beater when they get in to a debate. The reason is very simple. I'm to discouraged to commit to buying a home for the prices they sell at. I don't feel like they're fair prices. I don't feel like people should pay their entire lives to own a home. You can say well you live in a fantasy world not reality. That's true for the most part. I thought life was about making fantasy reality. What else is their to do in life? Just blindly follow niches and societal ladders? Where does that go? So this is why Ohio was big on space. Though most people in the country say what in the heck are you wasting money on that for? What a bunch of losers. That money should be spent on something else.

If you could buy a nice home somewhere out west in a nice community for a hundred thousand dollars I would be working my arse off to do it and get it paid off so I could travel around. The go back home and enjoy it. Most of it in my case is no ones fault but my own. But I was looking at prices overall and not taking it down to one persons ineptness or wits. My problem is I just don't have a lot of hope and will, or ambition because things are so jacked up to me. And I see people in ghettos all over the country that are in the same boat. They might not be the best workers or most ambitious people. But if they were given the opportunity to work for a good amount of money they would do it. if they could get out of the ghetto and buy a nice home they would do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 06:40 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,334,399 times
And I never said Northern California shouldn't have park land. I said it has more land that isn't park land than the entire state of Ohio and its costs are still staggering. There could be a city in northern California that is kept in line for the lower and middle class to move to. But for some reason ideas like that are only for losers. Austin Texas is getting really expensive and there is nothing but excessive amounts of land around it. Do you want me to change my city title back to Dayton so I don't make Tampa look bad? Anyways I said I was done with the topic because I don't live in the real world. I stick to what I think the world should be like. Yea that's a big problem. Its not like I even know why I have deep depression. Im a big loser that has amounted to nothing. Not fit to befriend, marry, or be. But what about the people who aren't they are struggling? That's where im coming from. Come on. How many people would want to move to Durango Colorado if it was affordable. I see no reason why many places shouldn't be. The entire area of Sedona Arizona is for wealthy only. Its just not in me to feel that the US should have places that are cut off the the lower and middle class. That's why so many ghettos permeate. It institutionalizes people. I guess the overall attitude is that if the people aren't wealthy they're going to bring down the area.

Last edited by the_pines; 09-21-2007 at 07:01 AM..

Old 09-21-2007, 07:23 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,469,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
They should have to go down with their ship. They have caused housing all over the entire country to be so unrealistic it is causing millions of families to not even be able to purchase a home or rent a home anywhere halfway descent. Same goes for the northeasterns. It caused people to blindly start inflating housing all over the US trying to get rich off the next poor sucker they can dupe into twnety more years of his life paying on something he will never own. they dont think of the longterm damage its doing. They're all about monetary value and will screw up your state bad. It didnt work in Ca and now they all want to jump ship to cause the next inflation boom. Thats what they do go from one place to another looking down on folks and taking advantage of people. Like termites that destroy homes. They cause rapid inflation. They cause once setttled an stable areas to crush the lower income folks with an iron grip.

Northeasterns and Californians we thank you for inflating housing markets so bad that people can pay their life away for small boxes and manufactured homes.
We are the reason this country is so powerful. Economically, financially, in business, entertainment, etc. We influence the world.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:30 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,469,555 times
Quote:
Well for starters all of Ohio has seen major price jacks in the last ten years. It is use to being one of the most affordable-balanced-stable states in the US. Despite being know as the center of the rust-belt there were still a ton of jobs and affordable housing in nice neighborhoods. But the northeast keeps pecking away at Ohios jobs(Connecticut and Mass are leechers) and prices are going way up and job wages are not. I was use to seeing different architectual homes everywhere I looked there. Now you get a whole bunch of cheap mass produced housing that has a tenth of the character and costs two times its worth. Every since SoCals markets started mass inflating their housing so people could get rich and move somwhere else the entire western US has doubled its cost of housing in the last ten or fifteen years.

Every since the northeast started doing it spread to the midwest including Ohio. Ohio use to offer good bang for your buck. Its easily the most accessible state in which you can Now the greed has spread there too. After all that time where Ohioans kept things relative to their ACTUAL worth they have begun to inflate everything because of neighboring areas real estate markets. Since job wages never went up at all and there are less jobs the economy is at a snails pace now.
The Norhteast isn't spreading to the Midwest. And if it weren't for the Northeast, Cleveland wouldn't be nearly the size it is now due to all the trade that came out of the Northeast back in the day with trains and the Erie Canal.

Quote:
You people are insane and should be put on an island somewhere together where you can all take advantage of each other. GREED, GREED, GREED. How will our kids ever make it in a market that outpaces wages by a light year? Oh yea by doing exactly what the people did who made it that way in the first placego to numerous cities within a few hours(Columbus, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, DC, Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, Indianapolis, Chicago, Nashville)..
We're insane... No we're smart, educated, and know how to provide for our family. You have to make money, the more the better. America is based on a strong economy and educated citizens.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:01 AM

374 posts, read 1,849,142 times
Quote:
Well for starters all of Ohio has seen major price jacks in the last ten years. It is use to being one of the most affordable-balanced-stable states in the US. Despite being know as the center of the rust-belt there were still a ton of jobs and affordable housing in nice neighborhoods. But the northeast keeps pecking away at Ohios jobs(Connecticut and Mass are leechers) and prices are going way up and job wages are not. I was use to seeing different architectual homes everywhere I looked there. Now you get a whole bunch of cheap mass produced housing that has a tenth of the character and costs two times its worth. Every since SoCals markets started mass inflating their housing so people could get rich and move somwhere else the entire western US has doubled its cost of housing in the last ten or fifteen years.

Every since the northeast started doing it spread to the midwest including Ohio. Ohio use to offer good bang for your buck. Its easily the most accessible state in which you can go to numerous cities within a few hours(Columbus, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, DC, Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, Indianapolis, Chicago, Nashville). Now the greed has spread there too. After all that time where Ohioans kept things relative to their ACTUAL worth they have begun to inflate everything because of neighboring areas real estate markets. Since job wages never went up at all and there are less jobs the economy is at a snails pace now.

So I wanted to move to Boise, Portland, Spokane or something outwest and earn a living doing a tradeskill. But the prices there are even higher! despite much less people and alot more land availability. I cant count how many times I found homes that were ugly, small and in an average to below average area that were TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS. To me SoCal started all of the wealth flaunting and mass greed driven housing market.

What are our kids going to do if they mess up and dont finish high school? Are we going to all be earning California slave wages in the next ten or fifteen years because rich Californians paved the way to extortion labor? I guess we could all resort to eating bugs and home schooling, taking baths in the rain. Paying two life times on a small homw an barely scathing by with no benefits, medical or dental.

You people are insane and should be put on an island somewhere together where you can all take advantage of each other. GREED, GREED, GREED. How will our kids ever make it in a market that outpaces wages by a light year? Oh yea by doing exactly what the people did who made it that way in the first place.
Did you finish high school? With posts like these, I'm in doubt.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:40 AM

694 posts, read 2,644,109 times
Mr. Pines in life there are winners and there are losers.
I suspect winners don't whine on the forums.
Check your birth certificate to see if there is a line that
says life is fair. Those who make the most correct choices
usually come out ahead. Good luck with your next home purchase.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:03 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,399,563 times
Pines, there are still some parts of the country where you can find a home for a reasonable price. Western Maryland for example, you can find a decent house for under $100.000 easily. And there are other places.....
I agree with you on the point that houses are waaaay overpriced. The materials used in building new homes are carp in my view, chipboard, cheap vinyl siding and everything cheap, cheap, cheap. I would much rather buy and older home any day.
In the "old days" you could have a family with one income and people bought houses and had a car. The difference is now people want BIGGER houses and new cars, preferably two or more.... and the big screen tv etc.
With some research I think it is possible to find an area with a reasonable cost of living. Good luck to you!

Old 09-25-2007, 05:51 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,118,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
So would you propose, some sort of Castroesque movement prohibition solely for Californians?
I know a lot of Texans, particularly in Austin, who wouldn't mind seeing that. We get TONS of Californian transplants here because they've already priced up the markets on the west coast and in the southwestern states, so they're coming here now. Some people here are afraid of the same thing happening here, i.e. Californians plunking down lots of cash for McMansions and triggering house price inflation and yet more sprawl.

I personally don't have a problem with them moving here as long as they don't constantly complain about how Texas isn't like California (thank god). Some of them do and it drives me nuts...I'm like 'if it sucks so much here, then go back to Cali!' That's my only major gripe with them. If California was so great, why'd you leave?

Old 09-25-2007, 07:14 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,492,515 times
I posted on this thread back in January, but here's some more food for thought. Why is it that so many Americans think they have a God-given right to own a home? Many of us who reside in big cities don't assume that we have that right. Especially with housing prices so overly inflated (although they're starting to slide a bit now), renting makes much more sense economically in places like So-Cal. If I ever wanted to own a home, I'd have to move out of L.A. to a much less desirable place, like the San Joaquin Valley! No thanks. I'd rather rent in an area with nice weather and lots of things to do than own somewhere else. Besides, with the comparable salary in other places, I wouldn't be any further ahead than I am right now.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:47 AM

483 posts, read 2,087,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
If I ever wanted to own a home, I'd have to move out of L.A. to a much less desirable place
The only less desirable place than LA doesn't have homes.
They tend to burn down, due to all the fire and brimstone.

Don't even bother disputing that statement - I won't listen. I've lived (if you could call it that) in LA.
Once was too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.