U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 05:03 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,925,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
However Delaware is definantly not Fully Northeastern, its got some very southern characteristics and many people say they live in the south from there. The Delmarva Peninsula is really confusing on what they are, north or south. To me, the Mid Atlantic is NOVA, DC, MD, DE, eastern WV, and Parts of southern PA and Jersey.
I usually don't care about the cultural part of the discussion I'll take a swing at it, MD has some South in it due to its past and some from MD may look to that and hold on to it. I'm not saying you're wrong (that's your territory) but I don't see why people from Delaware would say that they're Southern, because there's nothing there. I guess that DE would have some type of spillover from MD, I'm still learning though. Once again, you live in the region so you'd know more on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 12:42 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,911,780 times
I think the classification of the South is wrong. Maryland and Delaware should be taken out of the South and put in the Northeast in my opinion. They fit in better with Pennsylvania nowadays than Virginia, and their major cities (like Wilmington and Baltimore and D.C.) are definitely Northeastern. While they may not be fully Northeastern as you put it, they definitely are more like Northeastern states than Southern states. I'd call them the Southern Northeast if anything.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:05 PM

210 posts, read 1,064,045 times
A subregion of the Northeast. The Northeast can be broken down into New England, and Mid-Atlantic States

Old 09-06-2008, 03:12 PM

7 posts, read 15,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
A subregion of the Northeast. The Northeast can be broken down into New England, and Mid-Atlantic States

THERE U HAVE IT THE MID ATLANTIC

Old 09-06-2008, 04:23 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,352,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollo View Post
I agree with that.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:29 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,976,731 times
I usually see Mid-Atlantic defined as a subregion of the Northeast, i.e. the states that don't belong to New England. So the Mid-Atlantic would include NY, NJ, PA, MD, and DE.

I suppose the problem with that is that there's a big difference between, say, southern MD and northern NY, whereas New England has more cultural homogeneity. Not to mention that "Mid-Atlantic" is kind of a misnomer, especially for NY, NJ, and PA.

I wish American regions were more well-defined. I'm glad to live in New England, because at least our definition never changes. Of course, you do get the occasional outsider who seems to think that states like NY, NJ, PA, etc. belong to New England, but we always set them straight.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:00 PM

7 posts, read 15,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I think the classification of the South is wrong. Maryland and Delaware should be taken out of the South and put in the Northeast in my opinion. They fit in better with Pennsylvania nowadays than Virginia, and their major cities (like Wilmington and Baltimore and D.C.) are definitely Northeastern. While they may not be fully Northeastern as you put it, they definitely are more like Northeastern states than Southern states. I'd call them the Southern Northeast if anything.
I don't agree with that cause comparing Maryland and Delaware to New York, Connecticut, or Boston is going to far. They are the really southern states but I will classify them as Mid Atlantic states as with Virginia and North Carolina with these states having many northern transplants, northern influence(Raleigh,Durham,Charlotte,Winston Salen,Baltimore,DC,Northern VA) and being in the Middle of the Atlantic coast and PA and NY iare not in the middle of the Atlantic they are just the Northeast

Old 10-01-2008, 05:13 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,442,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
What makes them more like "northeastern states" than "southern states", in your opinion?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:15 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,442,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollo View Post
Virginia and North Carolina are southern to the core.

While, geographically speaking, both states can be classified as southern or mid-Atlantic. Culturally, they are southern.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:04 PM

4 posts, read 7,917 times
to me the mid atlantic is new jersey, pennslyvannia, and new york. maryland and delaware are southern states and is part of the southeast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or