U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2008, 11:38 PM
 
Location: New Haven, CT
212 posts, read 351,945 times
Reputation: 127

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
No its ok I live here. I know exactly where i live (Maryland, Mid-Atlantic, Northeast). Sorry, But you will not change my mind, there's no point of Arguing with me because you will get nothing done but do yourself harm. If you really feel an imaginary line that may have been relavent in the 1700s/1800s is still the cultural dividing line (I find it strange how someone an inch away from the PA line is full blown Southerner, and someone an inch away from the MD line is exactly like a new englander) i think your mistaken. Now, Get back to your Homework, Your first day of pre school is tomarrow and you don't want to dissapoint mrs. apple!
yea i know where u live (Maryland, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast). sorry, but you will not change my mind, there's no point of arguing with me because u need 2 argue with the censues bureau. the line is relavent even today just accept it! maryland is down south & dc is a southern city. dude just really think if someone leaves va & enters into maryland they are up north in the northeast no buddy doesnt work dat way. maryland is nothing more than a smaller va or nc. pa will always be the gateway to the northeast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2008, 12:41 AM
 
414 posts, read 639,354 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
No Virginia on here? Growing up I thought that Maryland was Northern but then I learned the history, talked to some people from MD on it and some said NEast, some said Southern in geography, and some said neither (Mid-Atlantic along withe VA), so I would say the Mid-Atlantic is pieces of both the North and South. Delaware is Northeastern all the way and Mid-Atlantic. Looking at that map Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, and some parts or North Carolina are in the middle of the Southeast Atlantic states and the Northeast Atlantic states. In my opinion the Mid-Atlantic is a straight up blend of North and South, do y'all know what I'm saying.
So New York is a blend of the North and South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2008, 12:50 AM
 
414 posts, read 639,354 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
I consider the Mid-Atlantic its own region because it has a very different character than the Northeast, which I consider as two "subregions" -- NewYork/NewJersey and New England. The Mid-Atlantic region, which defintely includes Virginia (at least the coastal half) along with MD, DE, DC and even the northeastern NC coast (IMO), has a slightly southern flavor but with much of the culture and affluence that you find in the Northeast. It also has a strong maritime history, traces of which are still apparent today in port cities like Baltimore and Norfolk.
So is New York / New Jersey a "region" or are you just making this up? And what is Pennsylvania? Oh yeah, the Mid-Atlantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollo View Post
THERE U HAVE IT THE MID ATLANTIC
So....NJ NY and PA are in ... New England?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
no no, DC and MD are in the Mid-Atlantic, not south Atlantic, and yes, we are located below an imaginary line that means 0 by todays standards
It's not really imaginary. I can see it right there on the map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
Whoa sound like alotta of people are offended but i been to maryland & besides of baltimore it doenst feel like the northeast feel more like the south even though its in the mid atlantic. mid atlantic means middle states not northeast
You must remember that these names are very old - the Northeast was settled more densely before the South (still is settled more densely), and there was a strong New England bias. What was the "middle" then is not the "middle" now with Florida and more people in the Carolinas and Georgia, but the name has stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Here's where we part company. How many names for the same region are necessary? "Northeast" isn't good enough?

There's such a thing as too much specificity.
Tell that to the people from New England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonQueen View Post
to me the mid atlantic is new jersey, pennslyvannia, and new york. maryland and delaware are southern states and is part of the southeast
Exactly. I fully support this view and as the original poster demonstrated the United States Census Bureau agrees as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2008, 10:13 AM
 
Location: moving again
4,382 posts, read 15,322,815 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
yea i know where u live (Maryland, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast). sorry, but you will not change my mind, there's no point of arguing with me because u need 2 argue with the censues bureau. the line is relavent even today just accept it! maryland is down south & dc is a southern city. dude just really think if someone leaves va & enters into maryland they are up north in the northeast no buddy doesnt work dat way. maryland is nothing more than a smaller va or nc. pa will always be the gateway to the northeast
I'm not trying to change you're stubborn Mind. Im just saying, as a NATIVE Marylander, i know exactly where i live. Assuming you're a boy, its like saying, you're a girl, i know you are a familiar with your body, but nope, you're wrong you're a girl. The census bureau is going by geography! Not culture. don't your get it? Maryland has a lot more in common with Maine than it does Louisiana. If someone leaves VA from the DC area and NW VA, they are ALREADY in the North. Prince Willam county up is the North. This means, that All of Southern Maryland is southern (and s DE). Sorry but you are ignorant to that you arguing with someone who lives here. You can keep going on and on, but you will get nowhere, at all, whatsoever. You keep bringing this subject up for no reason, as if it will do anything. Why do you keep bringing it up, please, tell me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2008, 10:15 AM
 
Location: moving again
4,382 posts, read 15,322,815 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post

It's not really imaginary. I can see it right there on the map.

Haha i really hope you're kidding. Please come down here on day, and tell me there is a wall, or a huge red line like on you're map that you see when you cross into Maryland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 05:05 PM
 
Location: New Haven, CT
212 posts, read 351,945 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I'm not trying to change you're stubborn Mind. Im just saying, as a NATIVE Marylander, i know exactly where i live. Assuming you're a boy, its like saying, you're a girl, i know you are a familiar with your body, but nope, you're wrong you're a girl. The census bureau is going by geography! Not culture. don't your get it? Maryland has a lot more in common with Maine than it does Louisiana. If someone leaves VA from the DC area and NW VA, they are ALREADY in the North. Prince Willam county up is the North. This means, that All of Southern Maryland is southern (and s DE). Sorry but you are ignorant to that you arguing with someone who lives here. You can keep going on and on, but you will get nowhere, at all, whatsoever. You keep bringing this subject up for no reason, as if it will do anything. Why do you keep bringing it up, please, tell me.
no u keep this bringing this bullsh*t up. u cant compare maryland to louisiana because louisana is the deep south & the deep south states as everyones knows except u are known as full blown southerners anyway but maryland has more in common with nc & va anyway so who the f*uck are u trying to fool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 05:25 PM
 
Location: New England & The Maritimes
2,116 posts, read 4,202,159 times
Reputation: 1114
IMO mid-atlantic is Fairfield Co to Fairfax Co. Basically, NYC area, Long Island, Jersey, eastern PA, MD, DE. With the addition of areas of VA and CT in the DC and NYC metro areas and the possible exclusion of certain areas of MD and DE.

I don't think mid-atlantic follows state lines because I find it hard to include Pittsburgh or Buffalo and hard not to include NoVA.

That being said, I will ALWAYS tell my friends from Maryland and Northern Virginia that they are southern because they get pissed.

New England is New England. It's pretty damn official. The only argument is whether to include southeast CT, which I would not even though they are technically New England.

Obviously, regional lines are not hard to place because regions usually fade into each other. Billiam brought up that MD has more in common with ME than Louisiana (which it does) but Maryland still has more in common with Louisiana than Maine does because its a gradual. Is Maryland more southern than Maine? of course. Is it more northern than Georgia? of course. Forget cultural distinction, thats just geography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 05:27 PM
 
414 posts, read 639,354 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Haha i really hope you're kidding. Please come down here on day, and tell me there is a wall, or a huge red line like on you're map that you see when you cross into Maryland
I am a student here in the South (Washington, D.C.) and travel back and forth frequently. My point is only that definitions matter and this is a question of definition. Since the 1760s that line, surveyed and then marked on a map, has demarcated the boarder between the North and the South.

As for physical evidence of the line, keep an eye out for one of these: Image:Masondixonmarker.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plenty are still around, although they don't all look the same:
http://static.zooomr.com/images/45739_7380bb660d.jpg
http://www.exploretheline.com/images/tp14.jpg
http://www.dennygibson.com/nr2006/day06/pic09a.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 05:38 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,382 posts, read 15,322,815 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
no u keep this bringing this bullsh*t up. u cant compare maryland to louisiana because louisana is the deep south & the deep south states as everyones knows except u are known as full blown southerners anyway but maryland has more in common with nc & va anyway so who the f*uck are u trying to fool
Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
I am a student here in the South (Washington, D.C.) and travel back and forth frequently. My point is only that definitions matter and this is a question of definition. Since the 1760s that line, surveyed and then marked on a map, has demarcated the boarder between the North and the South.

As for physical evidence of the line, keep an eye out for one of these: Image:Masondixonmarker.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plenty are still around, although they don't all look the same:
http://static.zooomr.com/images/45739_7380bb660d.jpg
http://www.exploretheline.com/images/tp14.jpg
http://www.dennygibson.com/nr2006/day06/pic09a.jpg
In a northerners Mind, you're in the south. In a Southern Eye's your in the North. In a western Marylaner's eye's you're in either. In a Mid Marylander's Eyes you're in the North. In a southern Marylanders eye's you're in the South. In a Northeastern Marylaners eyes youre in the North, In an Eastern Shore Marylaner's eyes your in the south. etc etc it all depends on the person.

The line is very outdated. The Cultural Barier no longer follows that straight, non exsistant in real life line. Ive seen the markers, but they are not all over the place. They're little stones, Not a line of them surrounding the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 06:20 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 4,922,626 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
So New York is a blend of the North and South?
First of all I think PA, NY, and NJ are just the Northeast and nothing else. I am aware that some call those states the Mid-Atlantic but looking at the 1st or 2nd map on here you'll understand better what I was talking about when I said that the Mid-Atlantic was a blend of Northern & Southern culture (DE, MD, VA, and some NC) or states that were at one time at least 75% Southern. New York never had any type of down south culture and that's what I meant. I think Billiams' comment of MD leaning mostly to the Northeast is correct (obviously) because not many there claim the South but some parts of MD do claim it and that's mostly the southern or western part (I say this because I know a guy from W MD who claims the south).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top