Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:27 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,617,266 times

Advertisements

Unstable, I see that you agree with AmazonQueen. Why don't MD and VA is in between the Northeast and the Southeast and it touches the Atlantic Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 08:01 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,717,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
First of all I think PA, NY, and NJ are just the Northeast and nothing else. I am aware that some call those states the Mid-Atlantic but looking at the 1st or 2nd map on here you'll understand better what I was talking about when I said that the Mid-Atlantic was a blend of Northern & Southern culture (DE, MD, VA, and some NC) or states that were at one time at least 75% Southern. New York never had any type of down south culture and that's what I meant. I think Billiams' comment of MD leaning mostly to the Northeast is correct (obviously) because not many there claim the South but some parts of MD do claim it and that's mostly the southern or western part (I say this because I know a guy from W MD who claims the south).
i agree with you.
Although most Western Marylanders consider themselves Appalachian. My family from Garret County (the furthest west county in MD) identifies with the north more than the south though. What part of Western Maryland is your friend from?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:06 PM

389 posts, read 1,092,449 times
This thread kind of reminds me of a light bulb joke.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
i agree with you.
Although most Western Marylanders consider themselves Appalachian. My family from Garret County (the furthest west county in MD) identifies with the north more than the south though. What part of Western Maryland is your friend from?
He didn't give me the town name (I probably forgot it) but he did say he lived close to the border of West Virginia. His mother has a rural sounding accent and all that stuff. I'm looking at a map right now and the way he described it to me I would say that he's from the Oakland area or furthur south of that. He did tell me that MD's unwritten rule is the DC and Bmore areas are North and everything else is the South.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
He didn't give me the town name (I probably forgot it) but he did say he lived close to the border of West Virginia. His mother has a rural sounding accent and all that stuff. I'm looking at a map right now and the way he described it to me I would say that he's from the Oakland area or furthur south of that. He did tell me that MD's unwritten rule is the DC and Bmore areas are North and everything else is the South.
Interesting. Strange he considers himself southern. the Unwritten rule thing ive never heard of. I feel that Baltimore/Washington is Northern and all the areas in between extending westward to Hagerstown, and eastward to Elkton. Than most of the eastern shore and southern Maryland is southern. And Than western Maryland is appalachian, and doesn't belong to the north or south. My Family from Garrett County thinks this way too.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:25 PM

Yeah, MD's strange like that (not an insult) but that's unique.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:19 PM

416 posts, read 710,432 times
Everyone has a right to their opinion, certainly, and someone in NoVA who says they do not live in the South is welcome to say that. I just want to be clear that people who say that are arguing with the U.S. Census bureau.

Quote:
Unstable, I see that you agree with AmazonQueen. Why don't MD and VA is in between the Northeast and the Southeast and it touches the Atlantic Coast.
This is easy, let me just flip back to page one of this thread. Maryland and Virginia are in the South Atlantic. As I said before, these are established definitions - arbitrary designations - that were set long ago and maintained as they are in order to improve record keeping. They need not correspond to either modern geography (with the addition of Florida) or the opinion of a given group of people (those mentioned above). They are a Census Designation - a law unto themselves.

The bitterness with which some people in the upper parts of the South insist that they are not in the South smacks of a major inferiority complex, and it's totally uncalled for. As I said, I go to school here and it's a great place - the South is geographically large and culturally diverse. But it isn't the Mid Atlantic. It just isn't.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:53 PM

Which "upper Southerns" are you talking about?

Old 11-11-2008, 04:46 PM

416 posts, read 710,432 times
MD, DE, DC, NoVA, etc. This thread started as a spin-off of the MD/DE thread.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
The bitterness with which some people in the upper parts of the South insist that they are not in the South smacks of a major inferiority complex, and it's totally uncalled for. As I said, I go to school here and it's a great place - the South is geographically large and culturally diverse. But it isn't the Mid Atlantic. It just isn't.
How rude of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.