Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:45 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,602,793 times

Advertisements

US State Census & City Census Resources :: City Census :: State Census

This is how the government classifies the different states. I suppose this is the only thing that really counts, now doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 08:55 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,005,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post

This is how the government classifies the different states. I suppose this is the only thing that really counts, now doesn't it?
I don't know, they have Arkansas and Louisiana as Southwest.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:26 AM

32,770 posts, read 35,991,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I don't know, they have Arkansas and Louisiana as Southwest.
It is west of the Southeast, but Southwest doesn't seem the most apt name or description. I like South Central.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:16 PM

290 posts, read 1,155,414 times
Quote:

Wow, nice! Virginia and Maryland made the Mid-Atlantic region..And this is the US census, final say right here..So the South officially starts at North Carolina now, and the confederate crazy people of VA and MD, you guys arent even true southerners anymore, consider the move down south, I encourage it

Old 03-26-2009, 05:43 PM

66 posts, read 304,753 times
Actually this is how the census classifies the regions:

File:Census Regions and Divisions.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania are the Midatlantic, and its a subregion of the Northeast.

But the fact is that there are lots of definitions for the Mid-Atlantic. Depends on your source. Mid-Atlantic States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've always thought of Maryland and Delaware as part of the Mid-Atlantic and Virginia being the start of the South but thats just me. DC is its own thing, not even a state.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:03 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,341,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
I consider the Mid-Atlantic its own region because it has a very different character than the Northeast, which I consider as two "subregions" -- NewYork/NewJersey and New England. The Mid-Atlantic region, which defintely includes Virginia (at least the coastal half) along with MD, DE, DC and even the northeastern NC coast (IMO), has a slightly southern flavor but with much of the culture and affluence that you find in the Northeast. It also has a strong maritime history, traces of which are still apparent today in port cities like Baltimore and Norfolk.
North Carolina and Virginia are not Northeastern, they are definitely Southern. There is very strong Southern culture and dialect in both of these states. They have a very different feel from Maryland and Delaware at least to me. I would say the Mid-Atlantic is composed of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, D.C., Northern Virginia, and New York. To me it is the southern Northeast. The Northeast can be broken up into two regions...the Mid-Atlantic and New England. Both noticeably different regions, but with more similarities than differences.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,602,793 times
That census classified NY as Northeast. If you really think about it, that does make sense. The state of NY is not just the NYC area. It's a big state. Northern NY borders Canada, so how could it be a Mid-Atlantic state?

Old 03-27-2009, 08:32 PM

290 posts, read 1,155,414 times
Quote:
That census classified NY as Northeast. If you really think about it, that does make sense. The state of NY is not just the NYC area. It's a big state. Northern NY borders Canada, so how could it be a Mid-Atlantic state?
exactly..these people are idiots..

Old 03-27-2009, 09:19 PM

9,103 posts, read 13,122,048 times
Default Does the MID-Atlantic really touch Canada?

Quote:
Its hard for me to think of most of New York as part of the Mid-Atlantic. As I said before on other threads we mostly use Northeast to describe NY. Different parts of New York look more like parts of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Maine or even Ontario than warmer Delaware or Virginia. Still I don't mind a connection to Virginia - one of my top 5 favorite states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.