Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:36 PM

97 posts, read 766,328 times

Advertisements

Do you consider the Mid-Atlantic as a sub-region of the Northeast, or do you consider the Mid-Atlantic as a region of it's own? Just curious.

I personally classify the Mid-Atlantic as a subregion of the Northeast.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/5/59/600px-Census_Regions_and_Divisions.PNG (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 10:37 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
I agree...subregion of north east.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:49 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
yes, definitely the northeast

i personally consider MD & DC as part of the northeast as well..

Old 06-14-2008, 09:58 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
I've always considered it a region of it's own...not the NE, but not the South either.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:06 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
I live in the Mid-Atlantic. Maryland, DE, and DC are not the south, they are Mid-Atlantic. I sometimes consider it a subregion of the NE and sometimes a region of it's own. It depends

Old 06-14-2008, 11:37 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
yes, definitely the northeast

i personally consider MD & DC as part of the northeast as well..
Yea me too....along with Delaware.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:06 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
No Virginia on here? Growing up I thought that Maryland was Northern but then I learned the history, talked to some people from MD on it and some said NEast, some said Southern in geography, and some said neither (Mid-Atlantic along withe VA), so I would say the Mid-Atlantic is pieces of both the North and South. Delaware is Northeastern all the way and Mid-Atlantic. Looking at that map Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, and some parts or North Carolina are in the middle of the Southeast Atlantic states and the Northeast Atlantic states. In my opinion the Mid-Atlantic is a straight up blend of North and South, do y'all know what I'm saying.

Last edited by David Alleyne; 06-14-2008 at 05:07 PM..

Old 06-14-2008, 04:15 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
No Virginia on here? Growing up I thought that Maryland was Northern but then I learned the history, talked to some people from MD on it and some said NEast, some said Southern in geography, and some said neither (Mid-Atlantic along withe VA), so I would say Mid-Atlantic or peices of both the North and South. Deleware is Northeastern all the way and Mid-Atlantic. Looking at that map Maryland, Virginia, Deleware, and some parts or North Carolina are in the middle of the Southeast Atlantic states and the Northeast Atlantic states. In my opinion the Mid-Atlantic is a straight up blen of North and South, do y'all know what I'm saying.
I get what you're saying and i agree. However Delaware is definantly not Fully Northeastern, its got some very southern characteristics and many people say they live in the south from there. The Delmarva Peninsula is really confusing on what they are, north or south. Maryland is definanlty a mix of N and S although looking at a map, it definantly imo doesn't look southern. Virginia is mostly southern with the Northern Part being very northern. To me, the Mid Atlantic is NOVA, DC, MD, DE, eastern WV, and Parts of southern PA and Jersey. But that's just me, The Map given at the top is completely different

Old 06-14-2008, 04:18 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,349,028 times
I consider the Mid-Atlantic its own region because it has a very different character than the Northeast, which I consider as two "subregions" -- NewYork/NewJersey and New England. The Mid-Atlantic region, which defintely includes Virginia (at least the coastal half) along with MD, DE, DC and even the northeastern NC coast (IMO), has a slightly southern flavor but with much of the culture and affluence that you find in the Northeast. It also has a strong maritime history, traces of which are still apparent today in port cities like Baltimore and Norfolk.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:38 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
I consider the Mid-Atlantic its own region because it has a very different character than the Northeast, which I consider as two "subregions" -- NewYork/NewJersey and New England. The Mid-Atlantic region, which defintely includes Virginia (at least the coastal half) along with MD, DE, DC and even the northeastern NC coast (IMO), has a slightly southern flavor but with much of the culture and affluence that you find in the Northeast. It also has a strong maritime history, traces of which are still apparent today in port cities like Baltimore and Norfolk.
I couldn't have said it any better, you and I share the same exact views (you're a better speller than I though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.