U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greatest influence on the U.S.A.
New York City 62 36.05%
Los Angeles 63 36.63%
Chicago 4 2.33%
Boston 3 1.74%
Milwaukee 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
Portland, OR 0 0%
San Fransisco 1 0.58%
San Diego 0 0%
Denver 0 0%
Phoenix 0 0%
Houston 9 5.23%
Dallas/Fort Worth 5 2.91%
Philadelphia 3 1.74%
Pittsburgh 2 1.16%
Detroit 5 2.91%
Minneapolis/St. paul 0 0%
Other Nation 6 3.49%
other (please state) 9 5.23%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 01:08 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,051,324 times

Advertisements

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, I'm going to express my answer to the question calmly.

First of all - I don't know whether the poll results are legit or not. It's not my place to say. However, I highly doubt that LADIVERSE can be held responsible for LA's current victory. I don't think he could have possibly created that many new e-mail addresses and registered them all on city-data in the span of 30 minutes.

Now, the reasoning behind my voting:

I voted for LA. But I don't necessarily think that LA is a better city than NYC. I simply think that the average American city is more reflective of LA than NYC. Wide, sprawling cities are becoming much more common than super-urban dense cities - it's a nationwide trend. And lets face it, there really is no other place even remotely similar to NYC.

I also have learned (through higher education, mind you), that the only kind of media that actually influences human behavior and the way we think is entertainment - which is definitely more centered in Hollywood (although there is some in NYC). NYC's media industry is more oriented around the news, and the news really doesn't influence the way people think...it only tells them what kinds of topics they should be thinking about.

Although I personally think that LA has slightly more influence, I will gladly acknowledge that both cities are significant. No bashing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:41 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,894,255 times
The greatest influence on the USA is not a city, it is the country and good, honest, hard working people. If cities were the only things America had, it wouldn't have much.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:05 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,429,074 times
Who in the flying flick voted L.A. over NYC? Oh my....

Old 06-16-2008, 02:21 PM

162 posts, read 218,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Now that we've gotten that out of the way, I'm going to express my answer to the question calmly.

First of all - I don't know whether the poll results are legit or not. It's not my place to say. However, I highly doubt that LADIVERSE can be held responsible for LA's current victory. I don't think he could have possibly created that many new e-mail addresses and registered them all on city-data in the span of 30 minutes.

Now, the reasoning behind my voting:

I voted for LA. But I don't necessarily think that LA is a better city than NYC. I simply think that the average American city is more reflective of LA than NYC. Wide, sprawling cities are becoming much more common than super-urban dense cities - it's a nationwide trend. And lets face it, there really is no other place even remotely similar to NYC.

I also have learned (through higher education, mind you), that the only kind of media that actually influences human behavior and the way we think is entertainment - which is definitely more centered in Hollywood (although there is some in NYC). NYC's media industry is more oriented around the news, and the news really doesn't influence the way people think...it only tells them what kinds of topics they should be thinking about.

Although I personally think that LA has slightly more influence, I will gladly acknowledge that both cities are significant. No bashing here.
Yea, I knew this was rigged by a troll. I remember LA trailing behind NYC with less than 10 votes then all of a sudden LA was at 30. I could care less, just saying.....

Honestly, I think they are both EQUALLY influential...I don't know why people take this stuff so seriously! I much prefer NYC to LA (not even a contest in my book) but I like LA is pretty decent too!

Old 06-16-2008, 02:57 PM

145 posts, read 465,752 times
la's winning...must be a troll right

Old 06-16-2008, 04:40 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,010,644 times
I dunno, the New Yorker's seem pretty insecure due to LA being ahead! Who cares which is more influential? Does it really matter? This thread exists solely to stir up drama! Not that I'm against threads like this... but just be sure to see it for what it really is.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:00 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,991,443 times
That's what I notice about some New Yorkers from the (City)...They think that NYC is the Center of the Universe and that no one could possibly be better than them in anything ,then they get all paranoid when they find out that L.A is ahead in the polls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
I dunno, the New Yorker's seem pretty insecure due to LA being ahead! Who cares which is more influential? Does it really matter? This thread exists solely to stir up drama! Not that I'm against threads like this... but just be sure to see it for what it really is.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:29 PM

149 posts, read 154,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
That's what I notice about some New Yorkers from the (City)...They think that NYC is the Center of the Universe and that no one could possibly be better than them in anything ,then they get all paranoid when they find out that L.A is ahead in the polls.
Los Angeles ahead in polls? What polls?

Do you mean this?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...w-york-13.html

or perhaps this?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...eles-area.html

This?
http://www.travelandleisure.com/worl...cfm?cat=cities

Maybe this?
Harris Interactive | The Harris Poll - New York City Most Popular Place People Would Choose to Live

I'm confused here. Where is this fabulous poll?

Last edited by soho111; 06-16-2008 at 05:55 PM..

Old 06-16-2008, 05:31 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,051,324 times
I knew there was a possibility of the poll being rigged (maybe it was, maybe it wasn't).

But I still don't think it was one person. Creating 30 new e-mail addresses and registering them all would take a long time.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:35 PM

149 posts, read 154,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Correction, New YorkER.

Honestly, I don't even know why I care. I'm probably just bored because the semester is over and I'm 2,000 miles away from NYC. Funny, New Yorkers seem to be in their own world on the New York section and I seem to be the only NYC resident here,..this general forum seems to be filled with desperate Los Angelenos. I guess New Yorkers really don't give a crap about anywhere else.

Give it up! You guys are levels below The City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.