U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greatest influence on the U.S.A.
New York City 62 36.05%
Los Angeles 63 36.63%
Chicago 4 2.33%
Boston 3 1.74%
Milwaukee 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
Portland, OR 0 0%
San Fransisco 1 0.58%
San Diego 0 0%
Denver 0 0%
Phoenix 0 0%
Houston 9 5.23%
Dallas/Fort Worth 5 2.91%
Philadelphia 3 1.74%
Pittsburgh 2 1.16%
Detroit 5 2.91%
Minneapolis/St. paul 0 0%
Other Nation 6 3.49%
other (please state) 9 5.23%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:46 AM

304 posts, read 829,091 times

Advertisements

L.A obviously

you mean theres other cities in the u.s? i kid i kid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 09:30 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,178,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
3 people said Houston?!
Now it's up to 5.

Probably has to do with the energy industry, space program, and huge medical center. Home to many of the world's "firsts" in those categories, so not as surprising as it may seem.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:52 PM

L.A>>>

city of dreams baby

nothin like it

Old 06-22-2008, 04:32 AM

263 posts, read 733,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
LA is obviously going to come in first here because of Hollywood. But when you say "influence" people think kids and immaturities while New York provides an economic and political influence, which is more important.

My vote goes to NYC. This country's well-being comes before movies.
Usually this country's "well being" is ruined financially by New York and has to be saved by the movies. Los Angeles is much more than kids and 'immaturities', whatever that means. You think there is no economic and political influence eminating from the largest city in the largest state in the nation? Puhleeeeeze! Back to school for you

Old 06-22-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
Usually this country's "well being" is ruined financially by New York and has to be saved by the movies. Los Angeles is much more than kids and 'immaturities', whatever that means. You think there is no economic and political influence eminating from the largest city in the largest state in the nation? Puhleeeeeze! Back to school for you
Game.Set.Match!

im sure Americans are just sitting home after work watching the stock market right? It would would be crazy to think they tune in to prime time television! haha

Old 06-22-2008, 10:00 AM

980 posts, read 2,909,355 times
I'm Suprised, that there are only 2 votes for Chicago.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:56 AM

47 posts, read 127,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I'm kind of curious to hear the explanation behind the Detroit vote.....

I don't mean that in a rude way, I'm just wondering...
Well Detroit may be sinking now, but they've had a lot of influence on American politics. Detroit has always been at the forefront of American auto policy . It's the largest city in a major swing state. Most of all Detroit has been instrumental in the destruction of any regulations or policies that would damage it's economy and any city that can make itself that important deserves my vote.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
I'm Suprised, that there are only 2 votes for Chicago.
your suprised, yet your from chicago.

same thing i was saying in the san diego thread, no one cares about it other than you midwesterners in illinois

i guess youll never undertstand

Old 06-22-2008, 02:09 PM

980 posts, read 2,909,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
your suprised, yet your from chicago.

same thing i was saying in the san diego thread, no one cares about it other than you midwesterners in illinois

i guess youll never undertstand
I wish not to break any forum rules, so I won't go crazy on you. At the same time, as the OP of this thread I find your comments have no purpose. In fact stay in LA and don't ever visit Chicago. We don't need people like you here.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:26 PM

334 posts, read 1,261,347 times
Only 2 votes for Detroit? The city was the "arsenal of democracy" during WWII, building the bombers, jeeps, weapons, etc. that helped the allies defeat the nazi's. Arsenal of Democracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's something that's acutally important unlike L.A.'s hollywood culture that has helped our society so much(ya right).

Detroit not only put the world on wheels, but Henry ford started the $5 a day wage, and the modern assembly line. These two things alone had a huge influence on the average working american.

The city influenced the 60's and 70's music era with the motown sound(Marvin gaye, temptations, Supremes, Four tops, Jackson five, etc.), and the 80's with the birth of techno music. The 90's and present with Kid rock, Eminem, White strips, Madonna, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.