Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greatest influence on the U.S.A.
New York City 63 36.21%
Los Angeles 64 36.78%
Chicago 4 2.30%
Boston 3 1.72%
Milwaukee 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
Portland, OR 0 0%
San Fransisco 1 0.57%
San Diego 0 0%
Denver 0 0%
Phoenix 0 0%
Houston 9 5.17%
Dallas/Fort Worth 5 2.87%
Philadelphia 3 1.72%
Pittsburgh 2 1.15%
Detroit 5 2.87%
Minneapolis/St. paul 0 0%
Other Nation 6 3.45%
other (please state) 9 5.17%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:17 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times

Advertisements

Good point, missionhome. This isn't a best city thread. This thread is solely asking which city influences the thoughts and behaviors of American citizens the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:19 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Best city is very different than influential. This isn't about what is best. San Francisco for example often tops the lists of one of the best cities to live in America, yet I wouldn't call it the most influential. Influential does not mean best and best does not mean influential.
Exactly! I agree

Old 06-16-2008, 07:26 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,251 times
Best city is very different than influential, is a very Correct statment!! If I asked someone in England what city they think of when I say United States, NYC would probably be more common.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:27 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
First of all i'm not from Los Angeles,and maybe their are lots of people in here from L.A,because it's their way of defending their city from people like you,because as well all know,New Yorkers enjoy bashing other cities,especially the cities that can potentially take the top spot.

L.A is not really that far behind from NYC,but NYC has the tendency to continue adding other cities from other states into it's metro to also help keep it ahead.

L.A is not inferior to NYC...L.A was once just a small town,but it took less than 100 years for L.A to leap forward to become the 2nd largest U.S City with the 2nd Largest Economy,not to mention it also became the Most Influential City in this Country...L.A achieved all this within a relatively short period of time.

Sorry but not everyone thinks NYC is the Best,and most people in L.A usually just go about their business without NYC on their minds at all.

Oh and one more thing,even if NYC does surpass L.A on the polls here,I still think L.A is the Better City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soho111 View Post
Correction, New YorkER.

Honestly, I don't even know why I care. I'm probably just bored because the semester is over and I'm 2,000 miles away from NYC. Funny, New Yorkers seem to be in their own world on the New York section and I seem to be the only NYC resident here,..this general forum seems to be filled with desperate Los Angelenos. I guess New Yorkers really don't give a crap about anywhere else.

Give it up! You guys are levels below The City.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:28 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,345,812 times
China and all that cheap junk we buy of theirs. There are dollar stores, Wallmart/ Walgreens...who sell clothing and toys, also hospital ER's who treat peolpe hurt by the worst of the stuff, this all creates jobs in the U.S.
Also to control the population, "One baby per family", some leave dead babies inthe street, mostly girls, they have helped furhter the lack of respect for life that is so prevelent in this country.

There are more examples of their influence in our lives if you care to ponder.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:36 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
Sorry but not everyone thinks NYC is the Best,and most people in L.A usually just go about their business without NYC on their minds at all.
That goes both ways. In fact, most people in the U.S. don't have either city on their minds ever. I think it's silly to assume Jim Smith of Boboville Arkansas can't even wash his dishes without thinking about how great LA or NYC are. It doesn't happen.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:45 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
That goes both ways. In fact, most people in the U.S. don't have either city on their minds ever. I think it's silly to assume Jim Smith of Boboville Arkansas can't even wash his dishes without thinking about how great LA or NYC are. It doesn't happen.
True. When we lived in Beeville Texas (yes that was its name, talk about small town USA) nobody really thought about LA or NYC. Everybody talked about San Antonio (the nearest big city) and then Houston and Dallas like they were the capital of planet earth. I think culture of the nearest big cities has the most effect on area cities like Beeville. Our neighbors in Beeville were right, he said, "You folks are nice and all, I just don't see you comin from the city and living in little Beeville. We see folks like you come in and they are always gone within two years. I give you 1.5."
-Well, he was almost right, we were out in 1 year.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:47 PM

389 posts, read 1,095,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
What are you talking about? Everytime I do the dishes I have Billy Joel's "New York State of Mind" and Randy Newman's "I Love LA" playing on an endless loop. I thought that was the norm?

Old 06-16-2008, 08:09 PM

149 posts, read 200,954 times
Quote:
First of all i'm not from Los Angeles,and maybe their are lots of people in here from L.A,because it's their way of defending their city from people like you,because as well all know,New Yorkers enjoy bashing other cities,especially the cities that can potentially take the top spot.
Take top spot? Keep dreaming. When is the last time you've heard a New Yorker bash a city on their level, you know..like London, Tokyo, Paris, and Hong Kong? Uhh, very rarely. I suppose NYers tend to look down on cities far below them that desperately cling for attention like Los Angeles.

Quote:
L.A is not really that far behind from NYC,but NYC has the tendency to continue adding other cities from other states into it's metro to also help keep it ahead.

Los Angeles is not far from NYC? If I'm not mistaken, New York City's population (per 2006 Census) is 8.2 million and Los Angeles population is 3.8 million. That's a HUGE difference....more than double.

What are you talking about? New York City is New York City. I'm not comparing New York City and Hoboken, New Jersey to Los Angeles and Laguna Niguel, California; I'm comparing the City of New York to the City of Los Angeles. What does metropolitan area have to do with this discussion? By your flawed reasoning, I suppose Los Angeles is better than Paris and London because Los Angeles metro area is larger than Paris unité urbaine or Greater London?

I suppose Mumbai is better than Tokyo and New York because you know Mumbai's city AND metropolitan population is larger.

And besides, NYC's urban area is larger than Los Angeles for a reason. If you didn't flunk basic history or geography, you would know that those cities in New Jersey and Connecticut (Tri-State) are New York's suburbs and should be rightfully added to NYC's CSA. If you were not aware, a very large percentage of them work in New York and to people in the Tri-State, whether they live in Greenwich, CT, Alpine, NJ, or some slummy ghetto in New Jersey, their neighborhoods/towns ARE suburbs of New York City and without New York City, that entire area's population would probably 1/10th of what it is today. Your argument makes no sense.

Quote:
L.A is not inferior to NYC...L.A was once just a small town,but it took less than 100 years for L.A to leap forward to become the 2nd largest U.S City with the 2nd Largest Economy,not to mention it also became the Most Influential City in this Country...L.A achieved all this within a relatively short period of time.
Los Angeles hasn't grown at that rate in ages. New York City now ads more people per year than Los Angeles so nothing will change.

Quote:
When did I say everyone thinks NYC is the best? Please direct me to that post.

Quote:
Oh and one more thing,even if NYC does surpass L.A on the polls here,I still think L.A is the Better City.
Yaaaaaaayy! Good for you!

Last edited by soho111; 06-16-2008 at 08:21 PM..

Old 06-16-2008, 11:34 PM

145 posts, read 508,881 times
soho quit whining dude....you said yourself your 2000 miles away...just stop it it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.