U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:06 AM

11,874 posts, read 32,904,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Atlanta has some of the most beautiful neighborhoods that I've seen in any city:

Ansley Park
Inman Park
Candler Park
Lake Claire
Decatur
Avondale Estates
Emory
Druid Hills
Virginia-Highland
Morningside
Lenox Park
LaVista Park
Buckhead
Brookwood
Sandy Springs
Dunwoody
Roswell
Alpharetta
Duluth

to name a few
Right on. I love how many of Atlanta's inner-city neighborhoods are built around parks and so have the name "Park" in the names of the neighborhood. Unlike cookie-cutter suburban McMansion developments that use the word "park" indiscriminately, Atlanta's city neighborhoods really are built around true-to-God parks. Each is different, each has its own style, and they cover a wide range of housing. But make no bones about it, they are beautiful.

Atlanta is a city of parks, a city built in the middle of a forest. And the homes surrounding those parks were built in the days before air conditioning so they tend to have huge windows and beautifully wide front porches. It's definitely one of the city's strong points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 11:16 AM

15,460 posts, read 25,405,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
True, but that doesnt make those cities good. I think its hilarious that people on these forums will tell you "its great here! We have palm trees, beautiful sunsets, etc, etc". Yeah, so does Baghdad, Iraq.
It's also pretty funny how others are like "we have a bunch of tall buildings and density, life is great here", yeah well so do those polluted, crowded cities in China. Same difference basically......

Old 06-16-2008, 11:26 AM

11,874 posts, read 32,904,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's also pretty funny how others are like "we have a bunch of tall buildings and density, life is great here", yeah well so do those polluted, crowded cities in China. Same difference basically......
You got that right. Those endless pics of Miami in another thread do look a lot like places like Shenzhen, China, with mile upon mile of soulless, bland apartment blocks that would make former Soviet architects proud.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:10 PM

102 posts, read 323,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I've noticed that the forum tends to be a bit...biased. Some cities are dramatically over-hyped, while others are bashed relentlessly. So I though it would be nice to dedicate a thread to the positive aspects of the latter group.

In this tread, say something positive about one of our frequently-bashed cities:
-Los Angeles
-Phoenix
-Dallas
-Detroit
-Gary, Indiana
-Miami
-Orlando
-Atlanta

No place is completely bad. These cities could use some positive recognition too.

(If I forgot a frequently-bashed city, let me know, and I'll add it. These are just the ones I see belittled most often.)
You should have included the whole state of Mississippi.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:39 PM

204 posts, read 670,559 times
-Los Angeles: Weather and good Mexican food
-Phoenix: winter Weather and good Mexican food
-Dallas: It started the "County fair" tradition
-Detroit: I really liked the Ford museum
-Gary, Indiana: Indiana Dunes
-Miami: Excellent beaches
-Orlando: Amusment parks galore
-Atlanta: Feels alot bigger than it actually is, good aquarium, good southern food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or