U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 11:51 AM

387 posts, read 368,402 times

Advertisements

The chances of the Rust Belt ever recovering are next to nothing. If it wasnít for all the deindustrialization in the first place then the Rust Belt would be doing a whole lot better now than itís actually. Donít think gentrification will work, because that only benefits the more privileged and just makes neighborhoods more expensive. As you know the better days of this country are behind us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 11:58 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
^ what exactly is "rust belt" though? Central areas of Detroit and Cleveland. The cities of Flint, Youngstown and some other smaller industrial areas.

It's confusing when people say "rust belt" like it's some region or widespread area. I mean even the suburbs of Cleveland and Detroit which are right outside the city aren't "rust belt". It mainly represents areas within those cities or select areas outside of them.

It's a very finite list of places and neighborhoods that are being spoken about.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:02 PM

6,633 posts, read 8,324,180 times
I don't have anything to add, I just hate the term "Rustbelt" though.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:10 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,675,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ what exactly is "rust belt" though? Central areas of Detroit and Cleveland. The cities of Flint, Youngstown and some other smaller industrial areas.

It's confusing when people say "rust belt" like it's some region or widespread area. I mean even the suburbs of Cleveland and Detroit which are right outside the city aren't "rust belt". It mainly represents areas within those cities or select areas outside of them.

It's a very finite list of places and neighborhoods that are being spoken about.
Pittsburgh is the opposite. Inner city Pittsburgh is not rust best. The out lying industrial areas are the definition on rust belt.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:52 AM

160 posts, read 81,077 times
I always thought rust belt meant the northern part of the Midwest that gets those freakishly cold winters with heavy snow/ice that requires so much salt laid down that everyone's cars rust out in five years. Am I incorrect?

Old 10-04-2017, 08:17 AM

56,609 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomofo View Post
I always thought rust belt meant the northern part of the Midwest that gets those freakishly cold winters with heavy snow/ice that requires so much salt laid down that everyone's cars rust out in five years. Am I incorrect?
No, it refers to neighborhoods/cities/areas that suffered deindustrialization.

Something people may not realize about manufacturing in the United States is that manufacturing employment peaked in 1979. So, since then, there have been policy aspects and the US business tax rates in comparison to other countries have played a part in why the "Rust Belt" is the way it is, in parts.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:43 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

I live in northeast TN. My hometown is a heavy manufacturing town that has really taken it on the chin in the last twenty years or so.

No one would consider upper east TN Rust Belt, but we have a lot more in common with Flint than Nashville.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:06 AM

1,703 posts, read 1,365,459 times
Honestly, I don't know. There's been a huge cultural shift and society is essentially stuck in a cycle that feeds itself -- in the post-manufacturing age, companies increasingly want to be in dense, highly educated areas with decent mass transit systems and high ranking schools. So what begins to happen is the same cities/metro areas attract the top notch companies making it impossible for other cities to compete because they don't have the very thing that is causing companies to not want to relocate there to begin with.

Until the rust belt is able to re-attract large, well paying jobs I don't see how they can rebound. Everything all goes back to jobs, once you can bring in jobs and good companies, the people will follow.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:45 AM

7,704 posts, read 4,564,490 times
We can’t even agree on what the Rust Belt is. Boston, Philadelphia and Baltimore saw population declines similar to Chicago’s, but no one calls those Rust Belt cities. I’d say every northeastern city below the second-tier (DC, BOS, PHI) could reasonably be described as rustbelt.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:45 AM

56,609 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Honestly, I don't know. There's been a huge cultural shift and society is essentially stuck in a cycle that feeds itself -- in the post-manufacturing age, companies increasingly want to be in dense, highly educated areas with decent mass transit systems and high ranking schools. So what begins to happen is the same cities/metro areas attract the top notch companies making it impossible for other cities to compete because they don't have the very thing that is causing companies to not want to relocate there to begin with.

Until the rust belt is able to re-attract large, well paying jobs I don't see how they can rebound. Everything all goes back to jobs, once you can bring in jobs and good companies, the people will follow.
Another part of the problem is that there are jobs in these areas, but what you'll find is a mismatch of skills/labor within a portion of the current population for said job openings in these areas.

Some "Rust Belt" areas actually have some of the things mentioned in the first part of the post, to a degree, but said areas can also be stereotyped. So, people assume what is actually in these areas without considering educational institutions/area school districts, possible public transportation options and other social institutions. Basically, image or perception of marketability comes into play as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.