U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:25 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,225,310 times

Advertisements

I know there are nice and bad people everywhere, but many places generally seem to be "stratified," if you will, in terms of having more nice than cantankerous folks, and vice versa.

I work in sales and customer service, so I encounter all kinds of people on a daily basis. I can tell you the types of people that generally tend to represent the various states, all states being in no particular order:

Nice: Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, Georgia, California, Michigan, South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Illinois (downstate and Chicago area alike)

Mix of both: North Carolina, Alabama, Arizona, Ohio, New York (mix of very nice and not mean but just crazy), Missouri, Indiana

Urking me: Wisconsin, Connecticut, New Jersey, Iowa, Massachusetts, West Virginia (I guess it's Appalachian hardcore)

Also, regardless of state, the redneck and trashy folks crowds are often the most cantankerous and hardest to work with. They spout the most attitude and universally seem to be very unhappy, no matter if the person is from Somerset, KY or Brooklyn, NY.

Wealthier folks, on the other hand, usually mind their own business and don't give me much trouble to be honest. Some are friendly and some aren't, but few are outright ugly.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-15-2008 at 10:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 12:53 AM

16,729 posts, read 23,151,705 times
I work with the public often and my experiences are just opposite of yours. Those from the South have been the rudest, most ignorant people I have ever had to deal with. I know I'm probably going to get attacked for saying this, but it's so accurate in my opinion.

Many people I have dealt with from Virginia, Tennessee, the Carolinas, Georgia, etc have been incredibly rude, demanding and have unreasonable high expectations. Some have been very short, others complain (it seems) for the sake of complaining - or because they simply don't understand how things work. I'm not insulting their intelligence, I'm just stating that the regional differences in doing things must irk them. It does seem like they dislike dealing with CT folks, and they make it very known even when we bend over backwards to accommodate their needs. If genuine southern friendliness were real, it would stick with them wherever they go. I guess stereotypes mean nothing!

Don't get me wrong, every state has rude people. But don't claim to be the birth of friendliness when the better half of them act foolishly when traveling.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:29 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,452,346 times
I work in retail and I was just thinking the other day why so many of my rude customers are out of staters, its usually the ones from back east who arnt as polite, its just in the way they talk to you, and the rudest customer I have ever seen was from the South.

no insulting here

Old 06-24-2008, 05:05 AM

5,721 posts, read 9,085,203 times
Very interesting topic. Yes, I have worked with the public for years and it is a real challenge in some places.

Back in the mid 1990's I worked for BMG Music in Indianapolis in the Call Center. I literally kept track of the location of virtually every rude phone call I took during my stint there and I can still recall where the rudest people were. California, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Florida and Missouri topped the list. Not necessarily in that order.

Currently I am in Kansas City and still deal with the public. They still don't disappoint! The rudest people here have been in offices. I've been sexually harassed, bullied and even dealt with outright hostile and threatening people at times. I've also had women tell me they don't want to go out with me and I have not even asked them out. Talk about brain damaged. The members of the Medical community run a distant second to the office people here.

I dealt with the public extensively in Connecticut and had nowhere near the trouble there that I've had out here. To JCM1986. I suspect the bad people that irk you from Connecticut are probably transplants from other states. Most of the natives are pretty down to earth and reasonably civil. Over the years I've rarely had a problem with people from the south though I've never really had to deal with them in a face to face manner in the work place, it has always been on the telephone.

I've also noted a different manner between telephone customers and customers that you meet face to face. In Missouri, when dealing with people on the telephone I found them to be more respectful than in person. The same can be said for the eastern Kansas area. In contrast when dealing with customers in New York, they can be a pain in the neck on the telephone but in person, they are more civil.

Agreed that wealthier folks are less of a problem. Usually it is the shallow, pretentious yuppie types (wannabee's) that are the worst followed by low income chumps that cause the most trouble. Old money is secure and confident and knows who and what they are and usually exude less of an attitude than the yuppies and low income chumps.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:33 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,947,519 times
I used to work for the Rally's complaint line years ago. The rudest ones "I" dealt with were always from Michigan. That is not saying much though, the not so rude ones probably didn't bother to call in

Old 06-24-2008, 05:34 AM

22,554 posts, read 47,332,356 times
I worked for a national call center, and I found that Texans were the nicest and Californians were sarcastic. That's a generalization, but for the most part, it was true. However, the customer's were buying expensive products, so it wasn't a true cross-section of the country.

I've worked customer service for years at different companies. Taking into account all socio-economic backgrounds, the Appalchian people are the toughest to deal with, including the spillover to parts of the midwest. They just seem so hostile with an attitude that everyone owes them something. Very rude.

Once again, generalizations.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:01 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,174,745 times
Back when I used to be on the road for a national company. I found the deep south to be the hardest folks to deal with. Never did find any of that southern hospitality you hear about. I only had to deal with California a bit but found a big difference between folks from southern CA and northern CA, northern being better. But they were slower paced and this is why I think they were easier to deal with. For the mountain states I had to deal with most were pretty good, but Colorado had some real terds in it.

Some of the easiest folks I dealt with, Washington state, midwest area, NY not included. The Dakota's, NE, KS, OK, & Texas was pretty good also.

I dealt with middle class I would say, not the rich and not the poor.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:19 AM

148 posts, read 579,653 times
Default Super YUPPIE's and Poor White Trash are the worst

The worst people on earth are the people who live between Boston and Washington. The best people are in the Midwest and the Mountain States. I find the worst people are poor people who never learned manners and people who want to be a millionaire by the time they were 30.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Nice: Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, Georgia, California, Michigan, South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Illinois (downstate and Chicago area alike)

Mix of both: North Carolina, Alabama, Arizona, Ohio, New York (mix of very nice and not mean but just crazy), Missouri,Indiana

Urking me: Wisconsin, Connecticut, New Jersey, Iowa, Massachusetts, West Virginia (I guess it's Appalachian hardcore)
I'd like to explain a few of my choices.

Kentucky and Tennessee are borderline "nice" and "mix." I'm not real impressed by the Southern hospitality exuded by many people from either state. However, the urban and suburban dwellers, as well as very middle-class rural/small town folks, tend to be nicer than many of the trashy or "by God, Ima dern-tootin' countr' boy (or girl) and the biggest raaaayedneck you ever seen" types. Sheesh!

As for somebody's mention of Appalachia generally being among the worst, I'd have to agree. Kentucky east of I-75, Tennessee east of US 127, southeast Ohio, and all of West Virginia have some self-entitlement "nasties." Where I live in central Kentucky has a lot of transplants from or people who otherwise have strong roots in eastern Ky., so I see it everyday.

Indiana and Ohio are the truest mixed bags. I deal with incredibly kind, wonderful people and arrogant, mannerless brutes from each. More of the kind ones, fortunately, but some of the bad ones are so bad that you remember them.

My exposure to many people and therefore the states they represent is limited. I only work with people from KY, TN, MI, OH, and IN on a more consistent basis.

In terms of individual experiences, not broad generalizations, the nicest individuals I've dealt with have been from, in no particular order, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Ontario, Florida, Michigan, and Texas. The worst individuals I've dealt with have been from Kentucky, Ohio, Alabama, Tennessee, and Germany.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-24-2008 at 08:54 AM..

Old 06-24-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I work with the public often and my experiences are just opposite of yours. Those from the South have been the rudest, most ignorant people I have ever had to deal with.

Some have been very short, others complain (it seems) for the sake of complaining - or because they simply don't understand how things work. ...If genuine southern friendliness were real, it would stick with them wherever they go. I guess stereotypes mean nothing!

Don't get me wrong, every state has rude people. But don't claim to be the birth of friendliness when the better half of them act foolishly when traveling.
I'd say there is probably an approximately equal ratio of nice and not-so-nice people everywhere.

That said, if genuine Southern friendliness were real, it would stick with them. Yes, many do moan, groan, complain, curse at you, etc. just b/c you don't have something simple that they're looking for. I'm sorry this has been your experience and please know that a majority of people here aren't like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Agreed that wealthier folks are less of a problem. Usually it is the shallow, pretentious yuppie types (wannabee's) that are the worst followed by low income chumps that cause the most trouble. Old money is secure and confident and knows who and what they are and usually exude less of an attitude than the yuppies and low income chumps.
Well stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I've worked customer service for years at different companies. Taking into account all socio-economic backgrounds, the Appalchian people are the toughest to deal with, including the spillover to parts of the midwest. They just seem so hostile with an attitude that everyone owes them something. Very rude.

Once again, generalizations.
I've never met a Californian that was mean, but I've met a few surly ones.

As for Appalachia, I agree. I've known plenty of people of Appalachia. I have purposely cut my friendships with them b/c MANY people I've ever met from Appalachia have a nasty attitude while talking on cell phones, in public, or a girl uses very few courtesies like "thank you" when I've taken them on date. Things of that nature. (I know that ditty wasn't related to customer service but I just wanted to point that out.)

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-24-2008 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.