U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 11:02 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,653,153 times

Advertisements

Best and Worst Cities for Your Job - BusinessWeek

Interesting. Though these things aren't always entirely accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 11:24 PM

2,024 posts, read 3,774,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post

Some of the things about that article bothered me. There were a few variations of engineers and construction workers but no mention of teachers or lawyers and I'm pretty sure there are more teachers and lawyers than there are doctors. So that kind of irked me. Also, it seemed like for New York they only counted the cost of living in Manhattan when a lot of people who work in New York live in the other boroughs and the suburbs. Plus, it's hard to calculate certain things like whether a person will give up world class cuisine and cultural opportunities for a McMansion. Also, in New York, San Francisco, and Boston a lot of people can get away with having no car which saves a lot of money. Houston was pretty much the winner across the board but the weather and traffic are pretty bad so the trade-offs aren't all worth it for some people. Those quibbles aside, it was an interesting read especially when taken with a grain of salt. Thanks for posting.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:50 AM

362 posts, read 941,315 times
When has Charlotte been a top 25 metro?

Old 06-16-2008, 06:11 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,650,182 times
It seems like every other job lists the top three cities as: Charlotte, Houston, Dallas (with the occasional Atlanta or Pittsburgh thrown in), while the worst three tend to be: San Francisco, New York City, Washington DC. OF COURSE, when you factor in cost of living (and the resulting adjusted salary) the cities with low costs of living and low median home prices will beat out the country's "world class" (and absurdly expensive) cities.

And to answer the point about no lawyers being on the list...I would say No. 1 best place would be DC and No. 2 would be New York. With every other city a distant third.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:31 AM

2,024 posts, read 3,774,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
It seems like every other job lists the top three cities as: Charlotte, Houston, Dallas (with the occasional Atlanta or Pittsburgh thrown in), while the worst three tend to be: San Francisco, New York City, Washington DC. OF COURSE, when you factor in cost of living (and the resulting adjusted salary) the cities with low costs of living and low median home prices will beat out the country's "world class" (and absurdly expensive) cities.

And to answer the point about no lawyers being on the list...I would say No. 1 best place would be DC and No. 2 would be New York. With every other city a distant third.
That's what I figured. It seems most corporate law firms are headquartered in those two cities and L.A. and San Francisco. That probably would have screwed up the author's southern city love-fest though.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:14 AM

11,879 posts, read 32,908,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post

This is an interesting list, and I appreciate your posting it.

However, it's limited to only the 25 largest metro areas in the country which means popular cities such as Austin, Nashville, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, and Columbus aren't included. To me, that instantly makes this survey bogus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.