U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2008, 01:36 PM

4,793 posts, read 9,811,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
San Francisco. It's easy to tell because 80% of the people there constantly remind you "I GOT RID OF MY CAR AND IT FELT SO GOOD OMG!" Not-having-a-car is the new not-having-a-TV.
LOL so true! That's a very Brooklyn thing too.

Last edited by lammius; 06-16-2008 at 01:56 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 03:19 PM

12,873 posts, read 19,552,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Big cities, good transit: NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, Washington, Cleveland, San Francisco

Medium cities, good transit: Portland, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Milwaukee, New Orleans
If I were 25-30 again, the cities that were highlighted would be at the top of my list.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:06 PM

242 posts, read 574,794 times
San Francisco's transportation is great and you can use a website to see how long it will take the bus to come which is better than the bus schedule.

However, the cool things are the transportation may be offset by how expensive groceries are here.

But you can always afford the $45 month passes which allows you to ride everything that moves in SF (except the old fashioned cable cars which you get a $4 discount off of).

Please post later and tell us where you chose!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:34 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,538,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Big cities, good transit: NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, Washington, Cleveland, San Francisco

Medium cities, good transit: Portland, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Milwaukee, New Orleans
You have Seattle in the list of medium cities but Cleveland in the list of big cities.....

Old 06-27-2008, 05:50 PM

313 posts, read 897,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7035683216 View Post

But you can always afford the $45 month passes which allows you to ride everything that moves in SF (except the old fashioned cable cars which you get a $4 discount off of).
Last time I checked the cable car ride is free with the $45 MUNI monthly pass

Old 06-27-2008, 06:28 PM

343 posts, read 589,948 times
As long as we're not talking about just big cities, any place you can walk everywhere. Boulder, CO would be one. As far as big cities go, New York, San Francisco, and Portland come readily to mind.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:52 AM

7,728 posts, read 8,895,571 times
New York City.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 9 days ago)

70,022 posts, read 60,539,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
As long as we're not talking about just big cities, any place you can walk everywhere. Boulder, CO would be one. As far as big cities go, New York, San Francisco, and Portland come readily to mind.
Boulder is also part of the RTD, Regional Transportation District. It is quite extensive. I would agree with Denver/Boulder being one of the best.

The Regional Transportation District Home Page

Old 06-28-2008, 10:38 AM

343 posts, read 589,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Boulder is also part of the RTD, Regional Transportation District. It is quite extensive. I would agree with Denver/Boulder being one of the best.

The Regional Transportation District Home Page
Yeah, for a city of it's size, the public transit in Denver IS quite extensive. Still, most residents drive cars and commutes can be long and congested. BO CO is a great biking/walking/bus city, though it is hardly in the same size category as Denver.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 9 days ago)

70,022 posts, read 60,539,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
Yeah, for a city of it's size, the public transit in Denver IS quite extensive. Still, most residents drive cars and commutes can be long and congested. BO CO is a great biking/walking/bus city, though it is hardly in the same size category as Denver.
It's true that most residents of Denver drive cars. The last time I looked up stats on this, almost every city except NY has over 50% of its residents driving to work. Denver is quite walkable and bikeable, should you choose to do so. It's relatively flat in the city, and the weather is decent for walking probably 335 days/yr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.