U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:01 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,866,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Not-having-a-car is the new not-having-a-TV.
Haha, isn't that the truth, if I had a nickel for every self-righteous hipster I've heard declare 'I don't have a car', I could probably afford to buy a Hummer (and pay for the gas). I've lived in Chicago without a car since before it was trendy not to have one and doing so has become much easier with the introduction of Zip Car and IGO, so plan to keep it that way even now that I make enough money to be able to afford one (I just love the hourly car rental system and use it about once a month). However, I absolutely maintain that the best city to live without a car in the US is New York City (specifically, Manhattan), that is, if you can afford the insane rents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 01:08 PM

263 posts, read 801,471 times
Default They aren't free with the Monthly pass....

Maybe you mean the light rail muni trains. However, I wonder how many people really get ticketed for riding the cable cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevcy View Post
Last time I checked the cable car ride is free with the $45 MUNI monthly pass

Old 06-29-2008, 01:12 PM

Wink What makes them self-righteous???

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Haha, isn't that the truth, if I had a nickel for every self-righteous hipster I've heard declare 'I don't have a car', I could probably afford to buy a Hummer (and pay for the gas). I've lived in Chicago without a car since before it was trendy not to have one and doing so has become much easier with the introduction of Zip Car and IGO, so plan to keep it that way even now that I make enough money to be able to afford one (I just love the hourly car rental system and use it about once a month). However, I absolutely maintain that the best city to live without a car in the US is New York City (specifically, Manhattan), that is, if you can afford the insane rents.

I wonder if people think I am a self-righteous hipster since I decided to sell my car years ago. There were several reasons behind my decision, but why on earth is that self-righteous??? If you don't have a car, and someone invites you to the far suburbs, what is wrong with declining by saying that is too far for me since I don't drive.

Could you be reading into their statement?

Old 06-29-2008, 01:25 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,202,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7035683216 View Post
I wonder if people think I am a self-righteous hipster since I decided to sell my car years ago. There were several reasons behind my decision, but why on earth is that self-righteous??? If you don't have a car, and someone invites you to the far suburbs, what is wrong with declining by saying that is too far for me since I don't drive.

Could you be reading into their statement?
It's self righteous if you talk about it constantly to show how indie you are

Old 06-29-2008, 03:56 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,866,572 times
It is self righteous an annoying if you are like this guy.

Area Man Constantly Mentioning He Doesn't Own A Television | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

(I haven't owned a car for most of my adult life, I just don't think it is necessary to make a big deal about it)

Old 06-29-2008, 11:07 PM

504 posts, read 1,260,418 times
San Francisco is great. I'm one of those that happily sold my van when I moved here a couple of years ago. Muni buses and trains run very frequently and take you anywhere in town. I mostly walk everywhere. Portland is a great city for walking and transit. Seattle's traffic is almost as bad as LA's. Seattle has a good transit system but they crawl along the streets with the rest of the traffic. San Francisco's climate is great, too.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:33 PM

I guess, I can't be self righteous since I don't know what indie is. But I hope that I can get hip enough to learn the lingo :-( So I know when the hippies are around me. LOL.

Oh well, for the most part no one thinks that I am cool when I don't have a car, they just feel sorry for me lugging groceries up these hills and carrying my laundry to the laundry. But thanks for the info guys! (or gals!)

Old 07-01-2008, 10:15 AM

312 posts, read 981,162 times
Probably New York City... public transportation is excellent there.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:58 PM

210 posts, read 1,063,583 times
I would say Manhattan (not all of NYC) because honestly if your living in Staten Island your gonna need your car. San Fran is also good.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:25 PM

76 posts, read 233,979 times
Right now Chicago would be better since the weather here is very good!@
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.