U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:15 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,651,818 times

Advertisements

nyc; just stay away from the g train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 08:34 AM

3,717 posts, read 4,375,697 times
New York, San Franisco, Miami and Honolulu are great for someoe who doesnt want to drive

Old 12-26-2009, 03:53 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,552,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Basically everything you just talked about is how it is in Boston too. Anytime I try to go into the city to visit friends, it's the biggest pain in the ass if I try to drive.

Boston's definitely a city that you can get along just fine without a car. In fact, if I were going to live in any of the central neighborhoods like the North End, South End, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, or Fenway, I wouldn't even consider having a car. The same goes for much of Brookline, Allston, and Brighton.
yeah I figured as much, but don't have the in person experience to say it.
Another thing to mention about at least the northern cities is that the suburban rail is generally expansive as well as the inner city, so even if you are commuting out of the city, you don't need a car.
sf for instance is pretty damn good inside the city and very walkable, probably more so with the compact neighborhoods, but getting out of the city without a car is definitely harder. and out late night might limit you to a cab, but i know nyc/chicago for instance have 24 hour subway. makes a diff if you are coming home late or trying to catch a redeye train early.
miami was mentioned as getting out of the city, utterly impossible w/o a car.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:25 PM

5,857 posts, read 14,041,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
New York, San Franisco, Miami and Honolulu are great for someoe who doesnt want to drive
Miami??? Since when?

Old 12-26-2009, 08:20 PM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Miami??? Since when?
I know, in the same breath with NYC, and not mentioned are Boston, Philadelphia and Chicago...umm, ok.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:01 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,533,280 times
New York, Chicago, DC, Boston, Philly, San Francisco, and Baltimore are the best cities to be in without a car. It is so easy to get anywhere using their rails and buses, and they are all very walkable as well.

Minneapolis, LA, Pittsburgh, Denver, Seattle, Milwaukee, and Portland all have good public transportation and some walkable neighborhoods that will definitely make living without a car a viable option. Atlanta and Houston may not be very walkable in a lot of areas, but they have extensive public transportation that, if you lived in the right neighborhood, you'd be fine without a car.

Last edited by jayp1188; 12-27-2009 at 09:16 AM..

Old 12-27-2009, 10:46 AM

22,101 posts, read 23,627,108 times
I think a lot of us are missing the "warmer part of the country" bit. Boston, Chicago, and several others probably aren't all that much warmer than Columbus.

How about New Orleans? It'll be cheap and there are walkable neighborhoods for you to live in.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:52 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,956,143 times
I'd say the more densely populated a city is, the priority for a car becomes less of an issue.

New York City
Jersey City
San Francisco
Philadelphia

Just to name a few.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:35 PM

1,345 posts, read 3,767,175 times
New York would probably be the best. Chicago, DC, and San Francisco would be second in my opinion. They all have rail. Chicago has a great bus system, DC is very small and has the second most used rail system in the country behind NYC, and SF is also small with an alright rail. I'm sure Boston and maybe Philly would be pretty good too, but I'm not familiar enough with these cities to say much.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:49 AM

316 posts, read 772,870 times
probably 1,2,and 3 in cost of living- - but NY, SF.& Boston are the easiest to get around with a car.-
- Love all 3 - if I had the dough and I was (much) younger- I think thats where you would find me -in one of those cities-
I always was more of an urban guy so its not a streech- as long as a short ride could get me in the mountains,country, or a beach on week-ends

OhToDream-
ceffo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.