U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:35 AM

316 posts, read 773,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tceffo View Post
probably 1,2,and 3 in cost of living- - but NY, SF.& Boston are the easiest to get around withOUT a car.-
- Love all 3 - if I had the dough and I was (much) younger- I think thats where you would find me -in one of those cities-
I always was more of an urban guy so its not a stretch- as long as a short ride could get me in the mountains,country, or a beach on week-ends

OhToDream-
ceffo
obviously1stpost was stated wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 02:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 14,089,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tceffo View Post
probably 1,2,and 3 in cost of living- - but NY, SF.& Boston are the easiest to get around with a car.-
- Love all 3 - if I had the dough and I was (much) younger- I think thats where you would find me -in one of those cities-
I always was more of an urban guy so its not a streech- as long as a short ride could get me in the mountains,country, or a beach on week-ends

OhToDream-
ceffo
They are very expensive to live in, but remember that you would have no car expenses. No payments, insurance, gas, repairs, tickets, etc.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:53 AM

1,345 posts, read 3,767,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
They are very expensive to live in, but remember that you would have no car expenses. No payments, insurance, gas, repairs, tickets, etc.
Good point. I live in DC which is I think the 3rd most expensive city in the country now behind NYC and SF. I have a car because I'm required to by my job in case I get detailed to another fire house or I need to respond to work for a disaster. However, I never drive anywhere except work. I fill up my gas tank maybe once every three-four weeks. If I didn't need it for my job, my lifestyle wouldn't change at all without having one since I don't use it very often. However, the amount of money that gets saved is ridiculous. Especially because car insurance in a large city will be very high.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:00 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,143,862 times
It is interesting that the OP hasn't posted or replied to this thread since shortly after starting it a 1 1/2 years ago. I wonder where she ended up.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:49 PM

9 posts, read 21,960 times
I live in a suburb of Cleveland... I love it. I can walk to the bank, grocery store, library, post office, park, stores, etc. Yes nov to apr may be miserable weather but i love cold weather. the fall is perfect. good public transportation to downtown and western suburbs etc.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:53 PM

674 posts, read 909,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteak View Post
I live in a suburb of Cleveland... I love it. I can walk to the bank, grocery store, library, post office, park, stores, etc. Yes nov to apr may be miserable weather but i love cold weather. the fall is perfect. good public transportation to downtown and western suburbs etc.
Cleveland is among a few cities with "decent' public transportation. Hardly one of the "best" however.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:01 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times
Its a shame the warmer climate regions have so little in the way of living life without a car. For that matter even finding a reliable bus system could prove difficult. Thankfully some cities in the sunbelt, are starting to acknowledge that fact and doing something about it. Still living in many of these areas basically requires owning a car and will so for decades to come.

I live in Portland and do own a vehicle and live in an area that is promoted in many magazines for this car free type of life. The Pearl District of this city. I chose to keep my vehicle because when I want to leave the city for the day it is here. When I leave Portland this year I will have a vehicle that has little mileage on it and is paid for. Its great to live without a car and I walk and take transit here all the time. I rarely drive. However for me personally it would get very boring living in a contained area year after year, without the wheels to get me out of the city now and then.

One can rent a car but your at the rental car's mercy in this day and age. Believe me when I say have plenty of insurance, because they look for the last renter to blame for a scratch even if you didn't do it. It could very well be an employee or the one that rented after you. I know that for a fact because I work part time for one. Times are rough for the rental car industry and their money is tight.

So I would recommend this city Portland for someone wanting a midsize big city for life without a car. That is if living without a car is their top criteria for a place to live and have few other requirements. Because you have to like where you live. There are many requirements one needs for life in the places they choose to live. Living without a car or not having the need for driving all the time, is a wonderful option to have in the places we live. Just make sure the place you choose to live fills the other needs in your life beyond "Life without a car."

Old 06-07-2011, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,930 times
You said "medium to large cities" but why? I can think of two smaller cities which both easily contend for the title of Heaven on Earth:

1). Santa Cruz, California is compact and largely walkable. The few areas where it's impractical to walk are within easy bussing distance. The climate is year-round-perfect. Rarely is it ever too hot or too cold. Many people never use an air conditioner and even heating isn't needed all that often. It has the benefit of being near San Francisco and all of it's cultural amenities as well as San Jose & Silicon Valley if you need to commute somewhere close by on the bus for work.

2). Key West, Florida is gorgeous and compact. Many residents walk or bus or bike everywhere. The city is flat so bikes make a lot of sense here. The climate is idyllic. The water is swimmable year round. The people are so kind and friendly as well. Miami is close enough for frequent greyhound trips for shopping or cultural amenities (rather far for commuting though, unless you own a helicopter).

If I could afford it, I'd probably have a home in both places.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:53 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,908,387 times
San Jose! A walkable downtown with superb transit and everything is in walking distance.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,776 times
6 years in Chicago, me and hubby, no cars, we use public transportation 100%. No car payments, insurance, gas, maintenance, parking, stickers, traffic, road rage, etc. It's awesome. We are not downtown Chicago, but in what I like to call a 'city-burb', 8 miles west, a wonderful village where walk to everything. Occasionally, we will use car sharing or a cab, but that's very rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.