U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:56 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 1,017,465 times

Advertisements

I believe there is only five cities where it's easy to live without a car and will break them down into three tiers for efficiency. Personally, I wouldn't even try to live anywhere else without a car.

Tier 1

1. New York City/Hoboken/Jersey City

Tier 2

2. Chicago

Tier 3

3/4/5. Boston, Philadelphia and Washington DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 04:27 PM

160 posts, read 266,982 times
Hah, I feel like NYC is one of the only places in the country where it is genuinely more of a hassle to own a car. Other cities like Chicago, Boston, Philly, San Fran, so on and so forth are also options where you can comfortably live without a car - but as someone that currently owns a car and lives in Philly - I still appreciate it and definitely use it from time to time, though I really don't need to and I do intend to ditch it when I have less furniture to move in the immediate future.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:33 PM

6,851 posts, read 7,797,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydivers-in-reverse View Post
Hah, I feel like NYC is one of the only places in the country where it is genuinely more of a hassle to own a car. Other cities like Chicago, Boston, Philly, San Fran, so on and so forth are also options where you can comfortably live without a car - but as someone that currently owns a car and lives in Philly - I still appreciate it and definitely use it from time to time, though I really don't need to and I do intend to ditch it when I have less furniture to move in the immediate future.
Cars are essential in Houston. When we moved to Philly in January, we took a leap of faith got rid of one, holding onto the other only for weekend get-aways and occasional runs to the big box stores. So far, it's worked out better than we expected. We walk nearly everywhere, and do not miss driving. The only other cites I could imagine going carless in are Boston, NY, DC, Chicago and SF.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 PM

160 posts, read 266,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Cars are essential in Houston. When we moved to Philly in January, we took a leap of faith got rid of one, holding onto the other only for weekend get-aways and occasional runs to the big box stores. So far, it's worked out better than we expected. We walk nearly everywhere, and do not miss driving. The only other cites I could imagine going carless in are Boston, NY, DC, Chicago and SF.

Glad to hear it worked for you guys! I am pretty anxious to get rid of mine, even if it's just for monetary gain, really. The parts of town I frequent, even my semi-sketchy(but hipster infested, so mostly harmless) 'hood, are places I feel pretty comfortable walking or biking around, even at night. However, I do occasionally have to frequent some less desireable parts(I go to Temple ) sometimes well past sundown, so that's really the only time it serves me. I'm in the middle of moving to a different place, so after that, I want to ditch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.