U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:12 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,452,346 times

Advertisements

Why do so many people all move to the same city like Raleigh,Phoenix,Atlanta,Las Vegas and so on ,do they like to follow everyone else, I wonder why people dont pick some of the un-popular cities to live in,there are so many other nice places to live in this country than the same ol hot spots.

I know most people on here have nothing good to say about some of these places but yet they are growing so fast, in places like Phoenix and Atlanta something is attracting them all, maybe jobs I guess but dosent anyone I wonder hate all that sprawl and traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 01:31 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,350,632 times
People follow jobs and money.

When jobs and money leave Phoenix and Atlanta and Raleigh, the people will leave right behind them.

People like to make a living.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:59 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,630,657 times
I've wondered about this myself. The only things that makes sense is jobs and careers. I prefer much more out of the way places that people haven't discovered and hopefully never will.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:59 AM

839 posts, read 2,538,470 times
Smile Don't forget Houston and Dallas

2 of the 3 fastest growing metros 2000-2007 are in TEXAS.Atlanta was the fastest. People are moving here in droves. In Houston the outskirts of town look like one enormous construction site with thousands of homes under construction at the same time.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:09 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,200,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
2 Of The 3 Fastest Growing Metros 2000-2007 Are In Texas.atlanta Was The Fastest. People Are Moving Here In Droves. In Houston The Outskirts Of Town Look Like One Enormous Construction Site With Thousands Of Homes Under Construction At The Same Time.

Awesome!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:16 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,703,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
In Houston the outskirts of town look like one enormous construction site with thousands of homes under construction at the same time.
In Omaha, our outskirts have really slowed in their growth. Instead, most of it is developing Downtown in condo towers or renovating old buildings into condos.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:04 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,224,515 times
Since around 1979, the metro Atlanta area has been adding from a low of 55,000 to a high of 150,000 people per year, every year, into the area. When I moved here in 1984 the metro population was only just reaching 2 million people. Today, there are 5.1 million.

Funny thing is, while our economy is relatively strong (compared to others), and likewise the job market is diverse, you still here a number of, "So, this is it??", comments from people AFTER they move here.

Atlanta is an extremely "hyped-up" city by corporate headhunters, relocation services, realtors, etc. It is also touted as being "the place" for professional blacks to move to by various black publications and headhunters as well. Since the 1996 Olympics, Atlanta got on the map with International people as well, and the numbers of foreign residents has taken a large upswing since then, too.

Once here, they find the reality of Atlanta... that there are lots of jobs, but not a lot of WELL PAYING jobs in specialized fields. That there is a LOT of congestion, traffic, sprawl, smog, and crime. That certain types of cultural ammenities are lacking, and public transit is somewhat stagnent. It's certainly not Detroit or anything, but it's not the golden promised land that many think it will be for them. Atlanta is an excellent example of how well thought out marketing can cause masses of people to migrate.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,649,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
People follow jobs and money.

When jobs and money leave Phoenix and Atlanta and Raleigh, the people will leave right behind them.

People like to make a living.
Agreed. I think jobs and money are paramount. Secondary considerations include weather/climate. Minneapolis and Charlotte both have good economies, but I think part of the reason that Charlotte is growing faster is due to the much more mild climate.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:20 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Why do so many people all move to the same city like Raleigh,Phoenix,Atlanta,Las Vegas and so on ,do they like to follow everyone else
The blind lead the blind. Humans, for the most part, are like a disease. They move and spread to an area until resources are consumed, then they move on. PHX, ATL, Vegas, etc, are just the current hosts for this plague.

Sorry, had to use that great Matrix quote there.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:25 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Minneapolis and Charlotte both have good economies, but I think part of the reason that Charlotte is growing faster is due to the much more mild climate.
Milder? I dont consider hurricanes and drenching summer heat/humidity "mild". It might be milder than MPLS in winter, Id agree with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or