Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:52 PM

186 posts, read 637,498 times

Advertisements

sorry, I did mean continent...was thinking England when typing country....My mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 11:53 PM

353 posts, read 1,701,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Ok, I'm going to give the, "raise the price" people some credit because I think I understand what at least some of them are getting at.

As Americans, we hate change. We love to consume. Overall, we're not really into reusing, recycling, or conserving - although in recent times SOME of us are getting a bit better at the idea of it all. We've been putzing along for decades with very cheap prices of gas, with very large guzzling cars, and allowed the Middle East to control our traveling consumption mentality along the way.

Let's be honest - Americans do not change unless they are forced to change. C'mon... people even refuse to use the dollar coins every time they try to come out with them. Why? Because they keep printing the paper bills and don't force people to switch to the coins. Hell, if we can't get the hang of using a dollar coin, I mean, geez.

Ok, so now gas prices go nuts. Suddenly - we see change. People are going out and trading in the huge SUVs for more fuel efficient models of cars. People are asking for Hybrids, and asking for Hydrogen and other fuel-source vehicles to be built NOW. People are staying at home more and not hitting the malls 3 times a week to buy made-in-China junk they don't really need. They're telling their kids they need to cut down the 8 exracurricular activities they're used to being taxied around for, and only pick one or two now (gasp - the concept!). Recent reports say that more people rode public transit so far this year than have done it since 1957! Even our "Bubba" Governor here in Georgia who has publicly stated in the past that he could care less about transit, has just recently started setting money aside to start a commuter rail system in the Atlanta area (yes, hell hath frozen over). Heck, people are even starting to ask about solar panels for their homes and wind energy as they get mad and now WANT to ween our country from the ball-grip the Middle East has had us in.

This is NOT bad. The longer the gas prices stay high, the more people will break their bad consumer habits, and start to think in a new, and yes better, way. The higher the gas prices get, the quicker they think differently and change those habits. Then, AFTER they've adopted their new way of life, if the prices drop, they KEEP those good habits and basically say, "screw off" to the Middle East for good.

Ok Ok, yes, there is a domino effect and it's not good. Jobs are being lost, tourism gets hurt (except maybe more localized tourism spots as people stay closer to home). Restaurants and stores hurt because people use their old "blow-it money" on gas now... I agree. There are definately a lot of pains involved and there will be casualties. My personal opinion is that I hope prices stay up for a while longer. Not forever. Not for years. Just long enough to get most of us off our lazy mental asses and start permanently changing our consumer/consumption/wasteful habits, and for us to have alternate fuel vehicles available in mass production for the public. I understand both sides - both have valid points.
This is a leftest rant that makes no economic sense. You claim that we don't recycle enough? Your agenda has been revealed as an environmentalist elitist, and that is where the problem with this country, and yes, this gas problem lies. Yes, Americans love to consume. If you haven't realized it, our economy is a based on consumption. The more people consume the more money there is passed along into everyone's pockets. And no, it's not going to be the dollar coin. It is not a sin that we Americans have rejected the Dollar coin. That is an issue for another day and your use of it as a comparison is merely a platitude.

Why do you think the middle east has this influence on us? Because of big environmental wackos who won't let us drill for our own oil, build damns for hydroelectric power, convert shale and coal to oil and now want to start regulating carbon dioxide! Yes, I know that we shouldn't rely solely on oil and try to move to newer fuels, but that is a ten year goal. I am worried about today and tomorrow! WE NEED OIL TODAY. We can make all the goals we want to for breaking this dependence on oil but it will not happen overnight. It won't happen fast enough if action is not done NOW.

Furthermore you suggest that we need to change our ways as if it will affect the middle east and the price of oil. It won't do a darn thing. That will just free up more oil for them to sell to China and India, and the cost of foreign oil will continue to rise. For every gallon we don't use, India and China will use 2!

For you to say that you want prices to stay high tells me that you are invested in the failure of the American economy. We are headed to the crapper and the only way to fix it is to lower the price of oil, not to punish us "bad consuming gluttonous Americans", forcing us to change and accept a lower standard of living.

You want people to embrace this new BETTER way of life that you have in mind. People have already reduced their use of gas as much as they can and the more money we reallocate out of our budgets from "fun" money to gas hurts everyone.

You can't have it both ways. We need affordable oil NOW for us to be around in 10 years to have a future with alternative energy.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:58 PM

304 posts, read 901,631 times
sorry, but taking the bus/train is associated with being poor in LA thats just the way it is, im not saying thats true but thats why people are embarassed to do it

Old 06-18-2008, 04:16 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,789,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
We are already choosing more fuel efficient vehicles and the auto companies are working on getting cars that run on water. And like I said before, higher gas prices affect everything, even your school supplies when you go back to elementary school this fall.
Awesome! Let's hear it for childish low blows!

By the way, we could have had cars running on water a couple decades ago. Not going into details here, sorry.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:56 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,149,372 times
Perhaps the poster can voluntarily pay extra taxes. I'm sure the governmental body that gets the taxes will have no problem separating him from his money.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:00 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,770,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
This is a leftest rant that makes no economic sense. You claim that we don't recycle enough? Your agenda has been revealed as an environmentalist elitist, and that is where the problem with this country,
I stopped reading at this point. I don't fall for the "leftest", "elitist", and "agenda" crap, sorry. Hurry - you're late for the McCain fund raiser.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,224,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
sorry, but taking the bus/train is associated with being poor in LA thats just the way it is, im not saying thats true but thats why people are embarassed to do it
Being embarrassed to ride the bus or train is ridiculous but as you say, quite true. Apparently those people aren't very confident with themselves to let such a ridiculous thing embarrass them. I remember once many years ago in CA, it was pouring down rain and my mom had to take me to school in a taxi cab because she didn't drive. My dad was at work. I must admit as a twelve year old, I was embarrassed, but I've grown up since then.

I wonder if walking makes people embarrassed as well. I have neighbors who live 500 feet from relatives and either drive to their homes via car, golf cart, 3-wheeler, or riding mower. They may live 1/2 block from their mailbox but do they walk, no, they jump in the car or one of the other gas drinkers. Fat America....this is bizarre to me.

Where I work, people will drive from building to building because they're too lazy to walk. Multiply that times many people in the country and gas prices aren't likely to go down. You just can't fix stupid!!

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 06-18-2008 at 09:24 AM..

Old 06-18-2008, 09:20 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,224,985 times
This OP doesn't need to go back to school for his grammar. He just needs to work on it. His teachers may have talked the same way as I know many who can't speak English properly and they even have Master's degrees. One either knows English or he /she don't (whoops ~ doesn't). It's sad but true.

Here you go.......Us adults should be more compassionate. Is that correct? Of course not. When I was a young teen, I would always say, "I should have went to Susie's house." My mom would kindly correct me and I finally remembered the correct word to use. How many times do adults on this forum use a sentence like that or even better, "It is him who is taller than Bob." Makes one cringe, doesn't it? The young man will improve IF he chooses to do so or he can talk like many adults and never get it right. We all have that same choice. Give the young man a break.

He has a very valid point........People are too dependent on driving everywhere. He may be wiser than many of us.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:38 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,654,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post

Why do you think the middle east has this influence on us? Because of big environmental wackos who won't let us drill for our own oil, build damns for hydroelectric power, convert shale and coal to oil and now want to start regulating carbon dioxide! Yes, I know that we shouldn't rely solely on oil and try to move to newer fuels, but that is a ten year goal. I am worried about today and tomorrow! WE NEED OIL TODAY. We can make all the goals we want to for breaking this dependence on oil but it will not happen overnight. It won't happen fast enough if action is not done NOW.
Well, did you know oil shale costs more to process than you can to sell right now, so gas prices would be even higher.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:21 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,137,552 times
A lot of really sorry economics in here

A quick question - as fuel prices continue to go up, driving with it the prices for everything, coupled with a cooling economy with less discretionary income - there will be a big pinch

oh, by the way, we have this little credit deal going on right now where it's hard for people to obtain money or even pay the debts they currently have - so when these people start defaulting because of their bad consumerism and banks continue to fail - who is going to pick up the pieces?!

look at the recent investment from the Saudis and the Chinese into our financial markets - they've pretty much kept a couple very major players afloat - the last way to rid ourselves of being depended on the middle east is to give them straight control of our lenders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.