U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 12:13 PM

195 posts, read 583,604 times

Advertisements

The gas price in the United States should be increased! This is because people here are so dependence here, people drive 24/7!! Why not taking more the buses or trains to work or to school as they do for example in Europe? Driving too much cause global warming + exhaust fumes.
OK, I understand that the transportation system in the U.S is worser than what it is in Europe, but it should be much better!
Plus it's not fair that Europe has much more expensive gas price than here in the U.S. For example, In Sweden, 1 liter of gas cost 14 SEK (Which is about $2 US dollars for 1 liter, or around $7 to 8 dollars per gallon). So it's double of the price of what it cost in the U.S.
SO INCREASE THE GAS PRICE MORE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 12:19 PM

595 posts, read 2,531,153 times
Yeah, OK. This idea is gonna go over well...

Old 06-17-2008, 12:43 PM

186 posts, read 572,722 times
Um...Europe is not as large of a country, thus cities/towns are closer together. Another, many in the United States live in rural areas. Last time I checked, there are no buses, no trains, no public transportation to speak of in these areas. These people have to drive. What are they suppose to do; stop driving? I don't pity Europe for having such high gas prices, but because they have high prices, we should too?

I don't like our gas prices as they are, and while I do encourage public transportation, it simply is not feasable for a large percentage of Americans. I do agree that public transporation should be a high priority in cities, though. But for those living in rural areas, what do they do; move to the city and give up their farms, etc?

Old 06-17-2008, 02:18 PM

11 posts, read 23,568 times
not every city has a good mass transit system. try living in los angeles and getting around on a bus.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:20 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,705,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
The gas price in the United States should be increased! This is because people here are so dependence here, people drive 24/7!! Why not taking more the buses or trains to work or to school as they do for example in Europe? Driving too much cause global warming + exhaust fumes.
OK, I understand that the transportation system in the U.S is worser than what it is in Europe, but it should be much better!
Plus it's not fair that Europe has much more expensive gas price than here in the U.S. For example, In Sweden, 1 liter of gas cost 14 SEK (Which is about $2 US dollars for 1 liter, or around $7 to 8 dollars per gallon). So it's double of the price of what it cost in the U.S.
SO INCREASE THE GAS PRICE MORE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
the first bold sentence doesn't even make sense, the second has improper grammar, and worser? go back to school kid

ok as for the statement as a whole, higher gas prices also equal higher prices on EVERYTHING, how does the everything in the stores get there? Cargo Planes, in some cases Cargo Ships, Freight Trains, and Freight Trucks. And what do all of those things use? Gas, and sure maybe it doesn't affect you because your what? 12? but those of us who drive are affected by it, and the only reason they don't drive as much in Europe is because everything is crammed in together, here I'll show you population density comparisons

the United States just so you know

Europe

Old 06-17-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loboABQ View Post
Um...Europe is not as large of a country, thus cities/towns are closer together.
You mean Europe is not a large Continent?

Old 06-17-2008, 04:50 PM

After doing some digging on your profile I found a few things NJ

Moving to Canada, why? They use METRIC SYSTEM!!!
Your moving to Canada simply because they use the metric system? Seriously?

You also said you were 17 and a half, why add the half? what are you really? 12?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:08 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,722,899 times
LOL, maybe he's been SNIFFING the gas?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
LOL, maybe he's been SNIFFING the gas?
Probably

Old 06-17-2008, 06:33 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,043,716 times
People who suggest increasing the gas prices are likely either teenagers living at home with their parents so they have no worries or they have no idea how the economy works. This economy is on the verge of collapse because of $4 gas. People no longer have disposable income to spend at the mall or at restaurants so those places are starting to drop like flies. Some may think thats good, but remember all the jobs that are being lost. As retailers go, manufacturers are next, and its just a domino effect. Don't forget the tourist industry. Higher gas prices are NOT a good thing. Its in our nation's best intrest for them to get down into the $2.50-$3 level. High enough that everybody isn't rushing out to buy a Hummer but low enough that people still have some disposable income.

Edit: Just checked his profile and it looks like hes a high school kid. You have no right to wish for higher gas prices when mommy and daddy supply all your needs on a silver platter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.