U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 02:24 PM

774 posts, read 1,697,987 times

Advertisements

No. I absolutely love this place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 05:04 PM

144 posts, read 499,804 times
I don't like my current town, and CD doesn't change that. I am counting down the days until my husband starts applying for transfers (5 weeks and 3 days!)

However, another city I do love, KC...is always misrepresented. There are a lot of really cool things about KC (Though I am partial, as I grew up there). Poor people all across the world think people from KC are all farmers or something. They think it is a small town. However, there are some great urban areas around the city. Also, many people don't realize KC is in TWO states, though mostly MO. My aunt from KC was traveling and someone on the west coast asked her if they had running water in KC.

That being said, I don't mind it. There are many people that know all those great things and the other people have no idea what they are missing out on. Depending on who you are, KC is a pretty cool place.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:30 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,342,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If anything it's made me defend this place more so, especially from Northern Californians with their BS anti-SoCal mindset, and love and appreciate it more too.
The anti SoCal mindset is not BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Worse. I never realized until I started posting here just how many people dislike Scranton. Maybe they're all just jealous because they don't have "The Office?"
Not jealous, just annoyed. I used to participate in the General US Forums until it got to the point where it seemed as if every other post mentioned Scranton or Omaha. Now I cringe every time I read the word, Scranton. Uh, it just sounds gross.

I almost never see Maine come up in any of the forums except for the Maine forum, which is good, but, most Mainers seem to live in happyville all the time and tend to ignore anything negative about this state. So I guess that participating in the Maine forum has changed my perspective of this state.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:31 PM

6,867 posts, read 12,820,089 times
I read negative comments about my city everyday on here but it still doesn't change my opinion about my city. Most of the people making negative comments probably have never been to the places they trash on.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:33 PM

56,709 posts, read 81,038,544 times
I'd say better. There is a site based off of the city I live in.com and the negativity is bad on the forums there. This is a different deal though due to having a more balanced attitude towards things. That's as far as my city is concerned.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:29 PM

20,856 posts, read 35,987,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajo View Post
I don't like my current town, and CD doesn't change that. I am counting down the days until my husband starts applying for transfers (5 weeks and 3 days!)

However, another city I do love, KC...is always misrepresented. There are a lot of really cool things about KC (Though I am partial, as I grew up there). Poor people all across the world think people from KC are all farmers or something. They think it is a small town. However, there are some great urban areas around the city. Also, many people don't realize KC is in TWO states, though mostly MO. My aunt from KC was traveling and someone on the west coast asked her if they had running water in KC.

That being said, I don't mind it. There are many people that know all those great things and the other people have no idea what they are missing out on. Depending on who you are, KC is a pretty cool place.
I lived in the KC metro for over 20 years, and am so glad I finally left. The state line is a huge barrier for cooperation for the entire metro itself because of the enormous sprawl problem. KC will likely never build light rail, and will continue to fall behind its other peer cities. The only advantages KC has is a fairly decent economy (by Midwest/Plains standards) a low COL, and a central location for direct flights across the US.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:20 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,666,881 times
Neither.

I choose where I live because of what I think, not what other people think. Home is home.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:16 AM

1,516 posts, read 6,154,977 times
Great post. Best post I've ever read. Has made me feel terribly worse! And reading the other cities' posts have compounded that!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:52 AM

973 posts, read 2,974,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI View Post
I've been reading and posting on city-data for a few months and was wondering what effect this site has on others' opinions of where they live.
Overall, the site seems to make me feel less positive about my city (Richmond, VA). Not just because of the criticisms in the General US forum (criticisms that are sometimes well deserved) but also because of the attitudes and opinion in the Richmond forum.
The site seems to emphasize how incompatible my city and I are (or at least others from my city posting on this site).
Anyone else experienced this?
When I hear negative information regarding the criminal element, it makes me more apprehensive. Hearing anything negative about something or someplace tends to color your opinion to a degree.

There's a saying that I like..........."Ignorance is bliss!"

Old 10-17-2008, 08:06 AM

5,656 posts, read 7,458,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI View Post
I've been reading and posting on city-data for a few months and was wondering what effect this site has on others' opinions of where they live.
Overall, the site seems to make me feel less positive about my city (Richmond, VA). Not just because of the criticisms in the General US forum (criticisms that are sometimes well deserved) but also because of the attitudes and opinion in the Richmond forum.
The site seems to emphasize how incompatible my city and I are (or at least others from my city posting on this site).
Anyone else experienced this?
I do not feel less positive about where I live; however, I feel the forum shows other peoples' ignorance about where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or