U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:21 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,733,389 times

Advertisements

Only in the fact that a lot of idiots like hating on places they've never actually visited, or just happened to drive through on the Interstate. For some reason, I can't imagine, people like taking potshots at the South, even when their only experience with the place is watching old reruns of The Dukes of Hazzard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 03:59 PM

521 posts, read 1,491,544 times
City-Data has made me feel alot better!
Mainly because more than half of those that have something negative to say about Los Angeles (where I will be moving to in a few years) and San Diego (where I have been and living now) dont have a single clue about what they are talking about!
Most of them are self-absorbed jerks who have never even been to Southern California and generalize it. They will never see this area, whether its Los Angeles or San Diego, for what it truly is and they are missing out! I dont care much about the ignorant, snobby, yuppies.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:03 PM

34,689 posts, read 33,690,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI View Post
I've been reading and posting on city-data for a few months and was wondering what effect this site has on others' opinions of where they live.
Overall, the site seems to make me feel less positive about my city (Richmond, VA). Not just because of the criticisms in the General US forum (criticisms that are sometimes well deserved) but also because of the attitudes and opinion in the Richmond forum.
The site seems to emphasize how incompatible my city and I are (or at least others from my city posting on this site).
Anyone else experienced this?
This is the most interesting question I have seen on these boards. Will be up front and say I despise the sub-forums for each state. It has made the general state forums feel like leftovers. The more sub forums added, the more "small potatoes" the general state forums become. I think that's a shame. Also, my town seems to be glommed in with the nearest big city in one of the sub forums and I resent that since I don't give a rat's patootey about what happens in that big city.

It hasn't made me feel better or worse about where I live but I am less tolerant of CD newbies who don't care about anything except cheap and pretty before they move and whine about what they want and don't have after they move.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:33 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,453,292 times
Worse, at first, till I realized that most people who badmouth Texas and Houston in particular have never even visited, or only drove through once on the interstate and figured they'd had it all figured out. I really love the ones who visit one particular region or town in Texas and assume all of Texas is like that one, single place, when in reality there are nuances to the people, the culture, the topography, etc. in a given area; these things vary throughout the state. West Texas is as foreign to me as it is to someone from Queens!

Old 10-17-2008, 05:42 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,162,598 times
Agree with Houstoner. At first I was defensive about my home state, until I realized that most of those making the comments were either from the SE corner around Detroit or were equating the entire state of Michigan with that area. Then it became clear that most haven't been here, or if they have, not further than that crappy corner of the state. If that was the only view I had of this state I would think it was a forlorn hell-hole as well. There are nice areas down there, but those are not the areas that are seen driving through or on a long layover at the airport. After coming to that conclusion... Bahhhh, let 'em think that, it will keep everybody away from the beauty and quiet side I live on.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:39 PM

56 posts, read 172,959 times
well I love Wisconsin and compared to the other forums.. the Wisconsin folk are polite and helpful
So it's made me realize how much better Wisconsin is than the rest of the nation.. sorry if that sounds arrogant but I love where I live and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.. LOL. Go Badgers! Go Pack!!

Another thing I've noticed.. you can't treat these forums as absolute truth. You can find some useful information, sure, but only after you've sifted through the biases and haters.. A lot of these forums tend to attract whiners, complainers, and malcontents in general.. as in, people who genuinely have nothing better to do all day than to type complaints into a computer. I feel like telling them- "Gee, if you hate where you live SO much, then sell all your possessions, including your expensive computer, and move your butt out!" LOL. But who is gonna do that? So.. yeah.

Have a nice day

Old 10-18-2008, 01:30 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,878,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
City-Data has made me feel alot better!
Mainly because more than half of those that have something negative to say about Los Angeles (where I will be moving to in a few years) and San Diego (where I have been and living now) dont have a single clue about what they are talking about!
Most of them are self-absorbed jerks who have never even been to Southern California and generalize it. They will never see this area, whether its Los Angeles or San Diego, for what it truly is and they are missing out! I dont care much about the ignorant, snobby, yuppies.
You are talking about yourself here (the don't have a clue part) since you have never been outside of california yet you hate on every place outside of california. Most people who talk down on LA do know what they are talking about. Most are people who became discouraged by the massive amount of problems there.

On the flip side, I am even happier about Houston than before because of all the many 1000's of wonderful people I have met in person, none of them feels like the bitter haters that we sometimes encounter on cd

Old 10-18-2008, 01:46 PM

1,123 posts, read 168,712 times
Lord, if I took a look at the Memphis site before living here I would probally be afraid of leaving the airport.
What I learned when I waitressed many years back....
Bad food or service and they WILL tell 100 folks. Good food or service they might tell 3.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:17 PM

521 posts, read 1,491,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
You are talking about yourself here (the don't have a clue part) since you have never been outside of california yet you hate on every place outside of california. Most people who talk down on LA do know what they are talking about. Most are people who became discouraged by the massive amount of problems there.
Dude, you are such an idiot. Please post some examples of when Im outrightedly make unprovoked flaming comments on wherever your talking about. Also, I doubt many people will agree with your ass. On the other hand, I have constantly seen you as nothing more than a troll, Ive seen people label you as a troll, and have had people agree with me that you are one of the top trolls around (FutureCop being #1 which I put on ignore). Its people like you that make this forum particularly unpleasant hostile place.

Further, just comes to show how little you know about me, yet make these comments out of fear of reprisal. Did you know that I lived in Salt Lake City for almost 10 years? Houston and Miami for almost a year and a half? And two summers in DC. As well as the various places Ive visited such as Seattle, Denver, Phoenix, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, etc., all which I stay away from making generalized opinions since my knowledge of life there consists of living in the Mariott and going on pubcrawls. In fact, I would probably give those cities a high rating based on how drunk I was able to get.
So excuse me if I should happen to say that I didnt like living in Houston very much, and absolutely hated living in SLC. But I think I can make those comments having lived there for a while and experiencing day to day life there.

Most people here who talk down LA do not know what they are talking about. I think that comment alone discredits you alone. Anyone who has paid any attention on what goes on here know that people base their opinions not on first hand knowledge but that they've heard from other people. You should know this first hand out of everyone else based on what people say about Houston. But then again, according to you, everything everyone says about Houston is Bulls*#@, yet what they say about LA is true.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:45 PM

1,123 posts, read 168,712 times
Wow, someone has some serious issues with Memphis. I'm sorry your time here was so miserable.

I have to make the most of where I live.
I in no way shape or form think it is the best place to live or raise children.... I also don't know where that would be.
But I don't have the money to buy 1,000 acres somewhere with no humidity, no mosquitoes as big as busses, or has too many cold days.
To only allow people with outstanding character, strong work ethic, and live is good attitude to move in.
I just have to be thankful that most of my friends ,extended family,and aquaintances are in good health, have a job that pays the bills, allows us to get together at least once a month for dinner, take vacations, and buy our neccessities. They also make me proud when we participate in fundraisers for childrens and/or animial charites, people in need of money for medical expences, support the troops type events, and more.

I enjoyed myself when I lived in CA and MS. I had a blast on my vacations,road trips, or work trips to parts of CA NV UT CO WY NM TX KS OK AZ MO LA AL GA FL NC VI WV KY PA MA ME IN and OH. AND
I look forward to going back and seeing the parts that I missed and the other states I haven't had the honor to vist.
MAYBE when I am done, I can then be objective enought to then pic the paradise of MY dreams.

And that's all I have to say about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or