U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 06:19 PM

521 posts, read 1,495,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
So excuse me if I should happen to say that I didnt like living in Houston very much...
And whats even more, Ive gotten emails saying that sweetclimber isnt even from Houston but rather, from NY. I wont get into that though.

But please, dont yall from Houston take this as flaming your city. I just didnt like living in Houston much. After living in lame-city USA (SLC) for a long time, then moving to Miami for a while I thought Miami was great. Im very into laid back areas with hot nightlife areas. Miami was like a big constant party. Then I moved to Houston. The downtown area is not very pedestrian friendly. I didnt like the tunnels which made me feel like I was constantly in a mall. The nightlife was not very crowded. And the beaches....
Just an example of a few of the things I wasnt into. I could understand how some people would like it. Just not for me.

Last edited by wesside; 10-19-2008 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: edit
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 06:53 PM

3,710 posts, read 8,891,897 times
If I didn't know Atlanta better and have my strong opinions and pride in it, this forum would make me think about how boring and insignificant Atlanta is, as well as being as crime-ridden as Detroit. I did have to face reality in that most people don't care about Atlanta outside the South. Like Houston and Dallas, Atlanta gets picked on a lot. In many of the "Atlanta vs other city" polls, Atlanta has lost many of them. I admit that Atlanta is not NYC, L.A., Chicago, or even Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, but the city still has a lot going for it and still is one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. for a reason.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:20 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,048,872 times
CNI,

I can relate. I've been active on several Citi Data Forums, and the one where I live is the one I like the least. Too huge of a consciousness to be Politically Correct, and so serious most of the time. I even tried to lighten things up a bit by making threads to break the solemn "mood" of that whole forum (limited success). But it has not had any impact on how I feel about where I live. I simply find that form boring as hell and focus instead on other ones.

The New York forum has been the best. I like the attitudes on the posts, which are never nasty, but cover an away of topics and I don't sense neuroticiscm. I used it to obtain information before I went to NY recently and it was a valuable source, let me tell you. (And I loved the people of New York, too.)

Old 10-19-2008, 07:39 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,740,664 times
Better and worse. I've never been exposed to so many NYC haters. But I guess it comes natural to hate the greatest.

People hate the Yankees... Because the Yanks have been the most winningest team in baseball history. Same concept with NYC.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:45 PM

15,849 posts, read 30,498,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI View Post
I've been reading and posting on city-data for a few months and was wondering what effect this site has on others' opinions of where they live.
Overall, the site seems to make me feel less positive about my city (Richmond, VA). Not just because of the criticisms in the General US forum (criticisms that are sometimes well deserved) but also because of the attitudes and opinion in the Richmond forum.
The site seems to emphasize how incompatible my city and I are (or at least others from my city posting on this site).
Anyone else experienced this?
I don't know about that, specifically, but I can tell you that reading city-data has really made me feel better about where I live. Reading about all this urban and suburban lifestyle makes me so happy and grateful that I live way out in the country away from it all. I realize that some people prefer the lifestyle of the city, but I am still not clear as to why! LOL

Thank goodness I am a country girl.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-19-2008, 07:48 PM

389 posts, read 990,737 times
Neither. I know how Philly is, so people reiterating what I already know doesn't make me feel better or worse. More like...eh.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:07 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,895,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
Dude, you are such an idiot. Please post some examples of when Im outrightedly make unprovoked flaming comments on wherever your talking about. Also, I doubt many people will agree with your ass. On the other hand, I have constantly seen you as nothing more than a troll, Ive seen people label you as a troll, and have had people agree with me that you are one of the top trolls around (FutureCop being #1 which I put on ignore). Its people like you that make this forum particularly unpleasant hostile place.

Further, just comes to show how little you know about me, yet make these comments out of fear of reprisal. Did you know that I lived in Salt Lake City for almost 10 years? Houston and Miami for almost a year and a half? And two summers in DC. As well as the various places Ive visited such as Seattle, Denver, Phoenix, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, etc., all which I stay away from making generalized opinions since my knowledge of life there consists of living in the Mariott and going on pubcrawls. In fact, I would probably give those cities a high rating based on how drunk I was able to get.
So excuse me if I should happen to say that I didnt like living in Houston very much, and absolutely hated living in SLC. But I think I can make those comments having lived there for a while and experiencing day to day life there.

Most people here who talk down LA do not know what they are talking about. I think that comment alone discredits you alone. Anyone who has paid any attention on what goes on here know that people base their opinions not on first hand knowledge but that they've heard from other people. You should know this first hand out of everyone else based on what people say about Houston. But then again, according to you, everything everyone says about Houston is Bulls*#@, yet what they say about LA is true.
Are you always this angry and bitter son?! I have had so many people on here say that you are a troll. Also, about not being from Houston, someone needs reading comp help. I am from NY, but live currently in Houston. You need to stop ok?

Old 10-19-2008, 08:10 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,048,872 times
Smile Not I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Better and worse. I've never been exposed to so many NYC haters. But I guess it comes natural to hate the greatest.

People hate the Yankees... Because the Yanks have been the most winningest team in baseball history. Same concept with NYC.
Sports mean diddley-squat to me where any state is concerned.

But I just finished 10 days in New York, and I absolutely love its people. They're not the chihuahua-friendly, sugar-coating types, but I found them very responsive and helpful and very charming. Only a couple of times was someone rude to me and they were both bus-drivers (and I put one of 'em in his place).

That trip was supposed to be a one-time only. But several real soggy days slowed me down a lot, so I'm thinking of going back in 2 years to start where I left off.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:20 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,312,645 times
Alot better in that so many have negative views about where they live. I realise that many would gripe about anywhere;buit still some araes seem to have alot of peole with the same additude or problems.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:16 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,730,094 times
Both, I never knew we were famous for being stuck up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or