U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:05 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,324,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
On average, Southern cities have much higher rates of crime than northern cities. On an absolute level, the crime is less, but that's because Southern cities are smaller, on average.

Look up the per capita murder rates of American cities and you'll find most of the highest are Southern. Off the top of my head, based on recollection, in the top cities for murder rates you'll find:

New Orleans,
Memphis,
Birmingham,
Richmond,
and Washington DC.
Except DC is the North

Really i think the north and south are about even on crime imo

Old 06-19-2008, 03:19 PM

5,522 posts, read 12,289,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Except DC is the North

Really i think the north and south are about even on crime imo
It may be your opinion, but the facts (at least for murder) do not support it.

Ideas & Trends: Southern Curse; Why America's Murder Rate Is So High - New York Times

Old 06-19-2008, 03:41 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,324,812 times
Quote:

Ideas & Trends: Southern Curse; Why America's Murder Rate Is So High - New York Times
well, number 1 that's just murder. i believe we're speaking of crime in general. and 2, i was just speaking based on personal experiences and how safe i felt in each cities. not very accurate, i know

Old 06-19-2008, 03:47 PM

40,114 posts, read 24,362,017 times
The South may have a higher murder rate than the North, but the article in the New York Times does nothing to explain why. The various professors with their pet theories sound like a group of doctors diagnosing a patient as suffering from zebra-itis when it's a simple case of measles. Poverty and the availability of weapons are the practical explanations. People may argue that guns are available in the North, but people in the rural south have them to hand, they have them in the gun racks in the backs of their pick-ups, they have them in the glove compartments in their cars. Poverty magnifies the issues and conflicts people find themselves in. When day to day life is a struggle, the difference of opinion at the local bar, the threat of losing your wife to another man, the damage to your car in a small traffic accident becomes a potential life-altering event, and people lash out to have a sense of control. Even as parts of the South have prospered economically, much of the prosperity ends up in the hands of people who have moved to the South while people who are born there continue to struggle. If there is a cultural component, I don't think it really has so much to do with honor, as it does with the impact that living in a more violent environment has on people. If the murder and crimes against people rates are higher in the South, it stands to reason that people from the South would be more sensitive to potential risks.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:07 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,923,412 times
Quote:

Interesting article from The NY Times and that death before dishonor code was there when I was in middle school. I remember some of my classmates telling me that their parents actually encouraged them not to back down from a fight and that if they get beat down they have to keep going back until they win a bout (males and females). Forest Park was crazy because it was better to handle the problem right then and there rather have it linger for a whole year because if you're a punk word will get around. I use to have that "Spartan" outlook but I have grown out of it, cowards stay alive.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:42 PM

208 posts, read 540,564 times
Top 101 cities with the highest number of murders in 2006 per 10,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data (population 50,000+)

These are just the top 10 courtesy of City-Data.com

[LEFT]1. Gary, IN (housing, pop. 97,715): 4.83

2. Detroit, MI (housing, pop. 871,121): 4.73

3. Flint, MI (housing, pop. 117,068): 4.57

4. Birmingham, AL (housing, pop. 229,424): 4.45

5. Baltimore, MD (housing, pop. 631,366): 4.33

6. Saginaw, MI (housing, pop. 57,523): 4.12

7. Richmond, CA (housing, pop. 102,120): 4.07

8. Compton, CA (housing, pop. 95,701): 4.04

9. Camden, NJ (housing, pop. 79,318): 4.00

10. Richmond, VA (housing, pop. 192,913): 3.88[/LEFT]

Old 06-19-2008, 04:50 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,378,103 times
most of those are northern bombed out former industrial centers. Only a small fraction of the whole population actually lives in those depressed areas, around 1.5% of the midwest/north lives within those cities listed above.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:48 PM

3,133 posts, read 8,336,452 times
On another site we are tracking murders in various cities. Many cities, like Detroit, will not release data even to the media and that's why cities of high crime and murders are missing from the list. Other PDs, like Atlanta, are very slow at updating their crime statistics. Little Rock PD is current to 2005, for instance. Murders from '07-'06-'05 are (mostly) from FBI data which is horribly off to the low side. Cleveland had 134 murders in 2007 and the FBI reports this as 90. - Click the top of the graphic to expand it for legibility.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m151/Smoker_03/combo615.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-19-2008, 11:52 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,752,019 times
Much emphasis on cities here but how about rural areas? After moving to Kentucky from Illinois I'm under the impression that rural Kentucky is much more violent than rural Illinois.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:38 AM

7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
Few southern cities are really known for crime, the only ones being New Orleans and Miami. New Orleans has a lot of poverty. Miami has a high number of illegals and its proximity to Latin America make it a center for drugs and organized crime. Many places in Texas close to the border (if you count Texas as southern which not everyone does) a lot of the crime also centers around drug dealing and illegal immigration/smuggling.

Northern and Rust Belt cities are MUCH more known for crime. Philadelphia, Detroit, Cleveland are synonomous crime, not to mention the COUNTLESS New Jersey cities famous for crime, poverty and abandonment. Chicago (a Midwestern city rathern a northern one) has a brighter image, but it too has serious gang problems in many neibhorhoods. If you count Baltimore and DC as northern they are also quite crime-filled. Boston also has a reputation for its tough street culture, made famous in movies like The Departed and Gone Baby Gone and Good Will Hunting.

Besides the South is not really known for its cities. The image of the South is predominantly rural and laid-back and small town, regardless of whether that is how most southerners live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.