U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:17 AM

208 posts, read 540,745 times

Advertisements

Wonder why Michigan ranks so high. It's not a southern state but alot of its cities are on the most dangerous list according to city-data.com.

There are also quite a few western states in there too. What's the reason for their crime rates?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:26 AM

208 posts, read 540,745 times
Here's a another source.
[SIZE=3]http://www.morganquitno.com/dangsaf07.htm[/SIZE]
1" is Safest, "50" is Most Dangerous

Edited: The list didn't come out right when I tried to paste, but this particular listed 3 western states as the top 3.

But even on this list, the deep south still ranks higher than average.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:50 AM

10,238 posts, read 18,760,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Yeah...this is 2008, not 1808. Maryland is no longer southern along with Missouri. Delaware isn't either.
There are plenty of Marylanders and Missourians who'd dispute your assertion. Personally I consider those states "southernish".

Old 06-20-2008, 12:02 PM

48,235 posts, read 45,529,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Why is there more crime in the southern cities compared to northern cities in the US?
I woudn't say there is "more crime" in the southern cities vs. Northern cities. The difference is that many cities in the South tend to be more spread out and the crimes that occur tend to be more geographically spread out as well. Northern cities are more condensed and crowded and the crime is concentrated in one or two places. The crime rates in some northern cities are very high, but in some southern cities, the chances of you getting shot could be higher because the violent areas aren't really "concentrated in a sense, and you could run into a "bad" pocket.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:38 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,577,600 times
It's all about perception. When I think of a city with high crime, I always think of Northern cities such as Flint, Gary, Detroit, Philadelphia and New York.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:04 PM

According to this month's Harper's Monthly article on the Daniel Boone National Forest there's quite a bit of crime around London Kentucky. Very interesting article, makes me want to avoid the woods and not because of ticks.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:06 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,577,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
According to this month's Harper's Monthly there's quite a bit of crime around London Kentucky.
Funny...

Old 06-20-2008, 04:16 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,123,607 times
Quote:
According to some data I found giving the muder rate of all states in 2006 all 11 of the states that were in the Confederacy are in the top 23 states for murder rates. Missouri and Maryland are in there too making 13 southern or border states in the top 23.

Kentucky, Delaware and West Virginia, all border states, were somewhat more civilized.
Well, Irishtom, your general disdain and contempt for the South is pretty much a matter of record. The only thing I can say is that you are not terribly missed down here!

But neither here nor there, and not necessarily replying directly to you -- although in some cases it does -- I do want to make a few points directly or indirectly related to the general topic....

For one, the "murder rate" of any given place does not necessarily translate into how dangerous a place is to live. And definitely not how "civilized" it might or might not be.

Sukwoo noted earlier (and correctly) the "honor culture" which had always existed in the South. (Which I am going to define -- for my point -- as generally the Old Confederate states plus Kentucky, West Virginia and Oklahoma.) I hasten to add, by the way, I am NOT implying that Sukwoo will support anything which follows. Almost certainly not in fact. Only that I agree very much with the premise...which might or might not draw opposite conclusions!

Anyway, far as murder rate goes, it is statistically true that the rate is higher in Southern states. The thing is, "murder" has degrees in legal terms. It can range anywhere from voluntary manslaughter to First degree (Capital) murder.

Many of the killings which take place in the Southern states are of the type the average person has little to fear in terms of personal safety as involves the "killer".

Most can be traced to encounters in, say, a bar, in which there is no way to retreat without disgracing oneself. And yeah, lovers triangles. Or where it comes down to where there is little doubt a family member is in danger (i.e. your daughter or wife being stalked) and the law can do nothing about it. Or defend their homes and property. Or etc. etc. It is within an understood social code, so to speak.

Point is, the people who commit THIS type killing are not really to be feared in the sense they are going to harm "you" personally. Almost always most express remorse and wish it had not been the way it was and/or happened. As individuals, they are the type who will help you out on the highway when your car breaks down, or loan you a garden hose.

This very fact is, IMHO, a good reason why stranger on stranger crimes (when taking into account the politically incorrect demographic factors) are, if not actually less, at least no different, in Southern states/cities as compared to the northern/far western counterparts.

To put is another way, "civilized" can mean different things in different cultures. And invariably, it will involve a value judgement to some degree. Down Here, being civilized is just taken for granted. And borne out totally by the fact so many from other regions are moving in droves down here...

Last edited by TexasReb; 06-20-2008 at 04:59 PM..

Old 06-20-2008, 04:45 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,327,934 times
Quote:
There are plenty of Marylanders and Missourians who'd dispute your assertion. Personally I consider those states "southernish".
But more people in Maryland at least don't think the way you do.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:34 PM

Hey TexReb, good post. Thoughtful and informative. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.