U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:48 AM

122 posts, read 298,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler445 View Post
i think the higher population density in northern cities make them easier for police to patrol because it is a smaller land area than the spread out slums that occupy miles and miles of land in southern cities

miles and miles of slums? Where I live...we don't have slums...

I think your just being horrid sounds like your just being mean...

Why do people seem to think that poverty is unique only to certain areas of the country? You're going to find poor, crime ridden areas all across the United States. Period. I've never felt unsafe here, but then again, I don't use or sell drugs, I don't hang with those who do, I'm not a thief or a murderer, and I don't know any...

Old 07-05-2008, 02:23 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,915,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
Are you serious? You think ATl is the only crime ridden southern city? Besides Atlanta try Houston, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Memphis, Miami, Birmingham, Jackson, Baltimore (which I consider southern), Little Rock, Richmond, and basically any other major southern city. Also Detroit is considered in the midwest not north.
LMBO!!! How you can say that Detroit is not in the North is beyond me. Plus, Baltimore is most definitely not a Southern city, I don't know what kind of criteria you are using to say that Baltimore is the south. Maryland today is definitely more of a Northeastern state than a Southern one, having much more in common with Pennsylvania than Virginia. Baltimore is very similar in feel to Philadelphia, and definitely is a Northeastern city by today's standards. As a side note, the Midwest is composed of Kansas, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio. I would say that the Midwest can be effectively classified as a section of the North Central United States.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:05 PM

4 posts, read 11,232 times
I'll just say from experience, at least from the southern point of view. The cultures that are prominent here are still a little behind the times. There are STILL families, thinking, that dont support higher education. Graduating from highschool without a kid is considered a great accomplishment unfortunately. Schools do not have the funding for some reason to provide the education and quality of teachers students need. Geographically.....Im not even going to go there other than you better be a very independent and somewhat experienced young adult to up and move hours away from the family and town you most likely were born in...to further your education...that is if your not a parent by then and then your choices are locally. Um....one of the lands of agriculture. Plenty of land and weather for crops and also a major supply of meth ingredients and numerous places to cook the stuff nowhere near anyones range of smell. Meth is rampant in my area and readily available at a dirt cheap price. Its amazing, who all is involved in it. Scary rather. Ah...lets not forget this place isnt too big on "UNION". Thats another story....small towns, black holes that keep you here for several reasons....leads to job opportunities that are not based on racial discrimination....but who your family is, is another story as to what is "available" to you. In regards to northern states, I dont know from experience, but from what Im finding "in general" is that schools, security, and wages are soo much better. For whatever reasons, they just seem to be.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:17 PM

122 posts, read 298,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Options_08 View Post
I'll just say from experience, at least from the southern point of view. The cultures that are prominent here are still a little behind the times. There are STILL families, thinking, that dont support higher education. Graduating from highschool without a kid is considered a great accomplishment unfortunately. Schools do not have the funding for some reason to provide the education and quality of teachers students need. Geographically.....Im not even going to go there other than you better be a very independent and somewhat experienced young adult to up and move hours away from the family and town you most likely were born in...to further your education...that is if your not a parent by then and then your choices are locally. Um....one of the lands of agriculture. Plenty of land and weather for crops and also a major supply of meth ingredients and numerous places to cook the stuff nowhere near anyones range of smell. Meth is rampant in my area and readily available at a dirt cheap price. Its amazing, who all is involved in it. Scary rather. Ah...lets not forget this place isnt too big on "UNION". Thats another story....small towns, black holes that keep you here for several reasons....leads to job opportunities that are not based on racial discrimination....but who your family is, is another story as to what is "available" to you. In regards to northern states, I dont know from experience, but from what Im finding "in general" is that schools, security, and wages are soo much better. For whatever reasons, they just seem to be.

Good gracious...where on earth do you live?

Old 08-22-2008, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,661 times
Default trigger happy in the South

For myself I have lived in the north for most of my life and now i live in the south and I can tell you that crime is far worst in the south than the north. First of all most persons carry firearms in the south which eventually get in the hands of our children and get to school and kill 20 or more kids . At least the NOrthern folks put metal detectors in schools and the guns don't make it to class. This is a plain simple fact is NOrthern states are always put down for things that are not true, but the fact remains that each time you read the paper, or listen to the news or watch tv, you see children being carried out in hefty bags due to some trigger happy southern kid who woke up mad at the world and wants to prove his manly hood. , so he takes his pops 308 and goes to school and proves he is tough, I feel for the parents of the victims not this lousy excuse for life....

Old 08-22-2008, 08:07 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,460,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by privatepilot61 View Post
For myself I have lived in the north for most of my life and now i live in the south and I can tell you that crime is far worst in the south than the north. First of all most persons carry firearms in the south which eventually get in the hands of our children and get to school and kill 20 or more kids . At least the NOrthern folks put metal detectors in schools and the guns don't make it to class. This is a plain simple fact is NOrthern states are always put down for things that are not true, but the fact remains that each time you read the paper, or listen to the news or watch tv, you see children being carried out in hefty bags due to some trigger happy southern kid who woke up mad at the world and wants to prove his manly hood. , so he takes his pops 308 and goes to school and proves he is tough, I feel for the parents of the victims not this lousy excuse for life....
Huh?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,965,769 times
Quote:
Can we see some stories for this please?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:48 AM

564 posts, read 1,835,170 times
Quote:

I see. So what channel was this on? FX or Lifetime or what?

Old 08-22-2008, 10:19 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,245,982 times
Notable School Shootings in the USA:

School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rare events that seem to be spread pretty evenly throughout the US.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:24 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,965,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Notable School Shootings in the USA:

School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rare events that seem to be spread pretty evenly throughout the US.
I would love to know where that poster got her information from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.