U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2009, 11:47 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,263,628 times
Reputation: 2781

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Slavery might be over, but sometimes there are certain attitudes embedded in people that get passed down.
Also, the institution of slavery has deep, far-reaching effects on its victims that don't simply disappear within a few years...more like in a few generations. Slavery has a legacy still present in American society and is at least partially responsible for many of the social issues evident throughout black communities.

 
Old 04-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 7 days ago)
 
47,973 posts, read 45,435,742 times
Reputation: 15308
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Also, the institution of slavery has deep, far-reaching effects on its victims that don't simply disappear within a few years...more like in a few generations. Slavery has a legacy still present in American society and is at least partially responsible for many of the social issues evident throughout black communities.
I think this is one statement few people in our society want to believe.
 
Old 04-09-2009, 12:42 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,263,628 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I think this is one statement few people in our society want to believe.
They may not admit to believing it...but deep down they know it's true. In the same way it takes multiple generations to overcome the effects of slavery, it also takes multiple generations to overcome racism and prejudice...they become less prevalent as the older generations die off, and their children have a more enlightened view of the world.
 
Old 04-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 7 days ago)
 
47,973 posts, read 45,435,742 times
Reputation: 15308
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
They may not admit to believing it...but deep down they know it's true. In the same way it takes multiple generations to overcome the effects of slavery, it also takes multiple generations to overcome racism and prejudice...they become less prevalent as the older generations die off, and their children have a more enlightened view of the world.
Racial prejudice isn't just a southern thing either. The difference is the history.
 
Old 04-09-2009, 01:11 PM
 
7,901 posts, read 8,893,013 times
Reputation: 3192
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
It's the demographics.

Enough with the bs arguments of poverty, lower rates of education, and lack of investment. It's race, people.


Race per se is not the issue.

That a certain segment of our population was treated disparately (to seriously understate it), causing members of that "race" to be disadvantaged culturally and economically, is the real issue. That's what I assume people mean by the effects of slavery (and subsequent discrimination).

Those people could have been from any race and the effects would have been the same, so race isn't the issue.
 
Old 04-09-2009, 01:13 PM
 
7,901 posts, read 8,893,013 times
Reputation: 3192
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Slavery might be over, but sometimes there are certain attitudes embedded in people that get passed down.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but that is awfully vague. If you mean that because of the history of slavery that blacks have been disadvantaged in various ways since then, and that this leads them to occupy a lower socioeconomic and educational level than they should (because of continuing discrimination), then that makes sense to me. I guess I just wanted someone to articulate it before the racists did their "thing."
 
Old 04-09-2009, 01:14 PM
 
7,901 posts, read 8,893,013 times
Reputation: 3192
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I think this is one statement few people in our society want to believe.


I don't think it is so few. I think a lot of people realize this.

There are, of course, people that want it to not be about that, but about race per se, but we all know about them.
 
Old 04-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 7 days ago)
 
47,973 posts, read 45,435,742 times
Reputation: 15308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but that is awfully vague. If you mean that because of the history of slavery that blacks have been disadvantaged in various ways since then, and that this leads them to occupy a lower socioeconomic and educational level than they should (because of continuing discrimination), then that makes sense to me. I guess I just wanted someone to articulate it before the racists did their "thing."

What I meant to say was that while the institution of slavery is over, some attitudes were still present. There were people who had attitudes of superiority. Such attitudes were getting passed down from one generation to another and sometimes these attitudes were often manifested in such ways as violence. Other things that were by-products of the institution of slavery were the fact that most blacks couldn't read. It was illegal to teach slaves to read, so when the slaves were free, they had no money, no skills, no way to survive. In some cases, desperation led to bad actions. I should have said more.
 
Old 04-09-2009, 01:56 PM
 
925 posts, read 2,290,556 times
Reputation: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Also, the institution of slavery has deep, far-reaching effects on its victims that don't simply disappear within a few years...more like in a few generations. Slavery has a legacy still present in American society and is at least partially responsible for many of the social issues evident throughout black communities.
So why don't we provide reparations and institutionalized discrimination, such as Affirmative Action, not to mention all kinds of government programs.
Let's hear it, "gib me dat" hand open, arm outstretched.
 
Old 04-09-2009, 02:00 PM
 
925 posts, read 2,290,556 times
Reputation: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Race per se is not the issue.

That a certain segment of our population was treated disparately (to seriously understate it), causing members of that "race" to be disadvantaged culturally and economically, is the real issue. That's what I assume people mean by the effects of slavery (and subsequent discrimination).

Those people could have been from any race and the effects would have been the same, so race isn't the issue.
Race IS the biggest issue.

Blacks have the lowest average IQ. This corresponds with the smallest cranial size.
All black nations are third world.
There have been very few inventions from blacks.

The Irish were discriminated against, so were the Jews. So were many other segments of society. Do you see these other groups having difficulty? No.

Studies even show that whites of low-socioeconomic status outperform upper income blacks on IQ tests, college graduation rates, and they also tend to have lower crime rates.

Are you that blind to see the reality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top