U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:13 AM

769 posts, read 2,013,370 times

Advertisements

Ranters probably make up 3/5 of all the posts on the U.S. forums. Good Lord! And if that wasn't bad enough the people all seem to fall into the same category: themselves, their parents, or their spouse got a job in that city and they've been hating the city from day one. And their rants are not original at all; they always put down the same nitpicks:
1. I hate the traffic.
2. I hate the weather.
3. The people are unfriendly.
4. The customer service people at the local stores are rude or unfriendly.
5. I've lived in Boston, New York, Denver, Milwaukee, and I've traveled over every entire inch of this planet and I've never seen so many [insert noun here:_________ i.e. bums, illegal immigrants, gang-bangers, rude drivers, prostitutes, liberals, conservatives, etc.] in my entire life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I've lived in CA, NV, OR, WA, IL, NJ, GA and Europe. I will say that Nevada is by far the most disgusting place I've lived because of how calloused many people are. (My friend who moved to LV is finally starting to see this, after 4 years). But I will say that Puget Sound WA is the worst on the aloofness scale. For some reason, Portland is a little better, actually having met some nice Oregonians who went down to CA for school or had a good job experience there, though my work situation was better in SEA than PDX.
robertpolygot is a guy I've seen way too many times on the forums. He's a guy whose job kicks him around from place to place, far away from his beloved Sacramento; he seems to hold a hated for Seattle and the entire state of Nevada more than the President of Iran hates Israel. He's just one of many people who gripe on the forum of the place they hate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaklin View Post
I can't wait to get the heck out of Minnesota. Ever since I moved here, I've run into nothing but rude people who don't say "thank you" when you hold the door open and don't say "bless you" when you sneeze. Driving in Minnesota is terrible. Outside of the cities it seems like every road is two lanes. People here drive like complete jerks, constantly speeding and riding your tail even when you are driving 5-10 mph above the speed limit, and then passing on a shoulder or in the middle of a rural town as a little old lady attempts to cross the street.
kayakin's husband got a job in MN. She's hated MN from day one. Not really because of the weather but because the people don't say "bless you" when she sneezes, because there are too many Wal-Marts, and because the drivers in MN are worse than drivers in California.

And then we have needrain. Her husband moved to Vegas for work and she's been hating it ever since. She's only made ten posts but half of them bash Vegas on the Vegas forum. She even bashes Vegas on the Christian forum when asked, "What is the best place to live for Christians?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by needrain View Post
Definitely not Las Vegas. I want desperately to get out of here. The Lord may move us. We haven't had any criminals problems personally. But, I feel creeped out here. The city does the most outlandish things. I don't even know where to start. How bout gay/ /transgender pride month at the Library with event for the little library children to go to. That was 2 days ago. It a constant bombardment of sick things like that that make me want to leave.
There are sooooooo Americans who hate places in America because they had to relocate there due to their own work or their relative's work, and now they are stuck there, miserable, and unflinching in their hatred and criticism. It would be nice if these people had different things to say but these rants are more of less the same thing over and over. I wonder if there is a template for city data forum ranters. Here is what a typical rant looks like (*ahem*):

"I had to move to Baltimore because my wife got a job there. I'm sick of this place! The people here drive like they are on cocaine. The traffic is horrible. Main Street has a billboard that shows a woman in a bikini and my four year old son was actually looking at it!!!! The weather here is horrible. I want to live in a place where there are all 4 seasons again. The people here are rude. The cashier at Target didn't want to put money in my hand becuase she saw me picking my nose and eating my boogers so she put the money on the counter. I hate these people! My neigbors are such jerks. After moving in I sat inside my house and waited for people to come over with homemade pies and welcome to the neighborhood signs but no one cared. It doesn't matter if they are too busy, stressed out, or private people. Don't these self-centered sickos understand that whenever a new person moves into the neighborhood they should stop what they are doing, cancel all appointments they have for the day, and spend time getting to know me?????!!!!!!!!! I said hello to my next door neighbor and he just grunted at me. GOD ALL 5,600,000 people in the state of Maryland are rude because my neighbor grunted at me. I was beginning to think that it was me until I took a vacation to Knoxville and met some reeeeally friendly people. The people there were so friendly. They opened the door for me, they rolled out the red carpet, I got phone numbers almost every minute, the waiters at the restaurant wiped my mouth for me, and I had over a dozen people begging me to sign a contract allowing them to write my life story. But when I got back to Baltimore it was even worse. I tripped on the sidewalk, skinned my knee and no one rushed to telephone the paramedics for me. DON'T THESE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT THEY MUST ACCOMODATE EVERY NEW PERSON WHO LIVES IN THE CITY!!!! I WOULD SELL MY MATERNAL GRANDMOTHER TO LEAVE THIS PLACE! I HATE IT HERE. I AM SO FREAKING MISERABLE!"

And here is my all-time most favorite quote from the ranters on city data forums:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitst View Post
And I have always been a fun sociable person.
Congratulations people, you've figured out the problem, it is not you it is the city and the entire state that has the problem. You have done nothing wrong to deserve this. If the traffic is bad it is all the other people's fault. Nevermind the fact that there are millions of people who are trying to get to work, it is THEIR fault for making YOU late. If the weather is bad then gripe about it. And yes, everyone should stop what the are doing and be friendly to you. No, you're not wasting their time. People all over the world keep their daily planners free just in case some random new guy wants to hang out or be friends or he needs you to stop what you're doing and come fix his tires. Sheesh. I had one new guy to MN ask me to be study buddies for class, I was cool with it until I found out he wanted me to tutor him and always keep my schedule open for when he needed me. He probably hates MN because I wouldn't take the time out of my day to do things for such a "fun, sociable person" like him.

That's it. Does anybody have any comments on why Americans bash other American cities and states so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 09:28 AM

2,349 posts, read 3,930,693 times
Maybe there is an element of truth in everything? I mean when so many people call a duck a duck, quite possibly it may be a duck?

Maybe our society, that for years was for the most part driven by rampant consumerism and any means in which to gather more material things has developed a flaw within it?

Perhaps many are coming to light to understand that having material things in itself does not make one happy and are realizing that America is all but 100% oriented around people buying things?

Not saying I agree or disagree, just raising questions.

Ever wonder why we have so many society ills in a country that supposely has so much economic and social opportunity?

Old 06-19-2008, 09:45 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,279,088 times
Meh. Different regions have different attitudes and ways with dealing with people. It's called "culture shock". Also, there are differences between urban, suburban, and rural. So you have to take into consideration not only where you are moving, but how developed it is as well.

Some places have people more outspoken than others and some are very welcoming of strangers (which is uncomfortable for people who come from places where everyone minds their own business) and so on.

Just go with the flow.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:33 AM

4,126 posts, read 4,471,259 times
I can understand to a point. Many people were dragged kicking and screaming to a new locale so they take on the prisoner mentality.
Over 20 years ago, I moved to Oakland, CA because that's where my wife wanted to live. At first I really hated it and to be quite honest, I never fully warmed up to Oakland but I did at least try to make the best of a bad situation. I discovered that Oakland has a magnificent park system. Since it's right on the San Francisco Bay the kayaking and sailing opportunities are endless. What's the best about Oakland is that you can get anything you want. Need a potters wheel? No problem. Need a new Yacht? No Problem. There's even a Toyota plant just down the road.

Even with all of the good, at some level I've always felt a bit resentful and like I was trapped here. I can understand the attitudes to an extent but unless people try to make the best of it, they'll be nothing but miserable. If you really hate a place then leave if you're able. If you're not able for whatever reason, you need to seek out the good and focus on that. Just for the record, I don't like the climate here and I never have. I just deal with it. The ocean is cold in Northern California and I really don't like that so I wear a wetsuit. I adapted to my surroundings because my surroundings aren't going to adapt to me.

Also, I suspect that a very substantial percentage of the posters on this board are 15 or under. That would account for a lot of the whines.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:00 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,057,369 times
I think half the people on here need to get out more.

My favorite is when people think that their own homecity is THE best city in the world, and as such, it is THE right city for everyone. And no other city is as good of a suggestion as theirs.

I also find it annoying that, according to many on here, any city that doesn't have the density and the diversity of NYC is automatically garbage.

It's ridiculous. Every city has something special about it and no city deserves to be bashed relentlessly. Pointing out the negatives of a place is fine...that's what this forum is for. But tearing a city to shreds just because you personally don't like it? That's completely uncalled for.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:12 PM

485 posts, read 1,773,707 times
I, for one, think this is hilarious...and true. I'm tired of a guy in particular who constantly posts negative stuff pointed at newcomers to my area particularly (and he himself is a newcomer who doesn't have a job or ties to the area, so we all don't know why he just doesn't leave). All are full of gross generalizations.

Also love the anti-Seattle people who talk about how mean everyone is in Seattle, yet someone else will post about how their neighborhood just had a street-wide BBQ...I guess that person found the ONLY street of nice people in the area.

There are two different types of posts...those for fun, and those from people who are sincerely seeking info. The fun ones are...fun! Yes, make fun a city for something, get a good laugh, add your vote to a silly poll... But the bashers should just SHUT IT when someone is really asking a informational question. Answering a person who is asking about specific neighborhoods or schools with "don't move here, you'll hate it" isn't doing anyone any good except themselves. Selfish I think.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:27 PM

30,266 posts, read 67,435,389 times
Thankfully most of the largest "Debbie Downers" on the Northeastern Pennsylvania sub-forum have bowed out after being overpowered by we overzealous cheerleaders, but the scars still do remain. The more venom people spew out about an area, the less likely it will be to attract new talent, hence it will continue to wither. I can say from reading these forums that judging by the amount of negativity you would never be able to get me to move to certain cities. Then again, most people on this forum wet their pants over places like Lake Norman, Cary or Apex, NC, and you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to a McMansion-dominated community like one of those.

I seem to notice that more often than not people bash an area because they are suffering economically. Perhaps it's not the fault of "the area" that they can't find a job?

Old 06-19-2008, 10:42 PM

2,349 posts, read 3,930,693 times
Or it might be some areas just suck, that is possible you know.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:18 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,057,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Or it might be some areas just suck, that is possible you know.
Every area is right for someone.

But even if you do genuinely believe that a city sucks, you can still be polite about it. There's no need to bash relentlessly.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:43 AM

769 posts, read 2,013,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Every area is right for someone.

But even if you do genuinely believe that a city sucks, you can still be polite about it. There's no need to bash relentlessly.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or