U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 11:33 AM

87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
You know what bugs me? When you see someone who is overweight, and they are eating their fast food when they are driving, stuffing that hamburger in their face. Why can't they just wait till they get home?
Don't the overweight have to eat their meals, too? Maybe this person is on his/her way to an appointment. Don't be so judgemental.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:44 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,952,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Don't the overweight have to eat their meals, too? Maybe this person is on his/her way to an appointment. Don't be so judgemental.
Sure they need to eat but do they really need that Steak and Shake burger?!

Old 06-29-2008, 01:46 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,904,816 times
Quote:
Sure they need to eat but do they really need that Steak and Shake burger?!
Ask them and you'll get a very unhelpful answer

Old 06-29-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Ask them and you'll get a very unhelpful answer

ROFL, well, I'm not "that" bold!

Old 06-29-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
ROFL, well, I'm not "that" bold!
Why not? You're telling them what you think via the WWW! A plain hamburger, whether from Steak "n Shake, McD's or your own grill, is not *that* bad. Do you have no vices yourself?

Old 06-29-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Why not? You're telling them what you think via the WWW! A plain hamburger, whether from Steak "n Shake, McD's or your own grill, is not *that* bad. Do you have no vices yourself?
Oh my gosh, move along and leave me be. The point of the thread is "Americans are FAT" and yes, stuffing your face with fast food while you drive is a reason for it. Why are you so defensive?

Old 06-29-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Oh my gosh, move along and leave me be. The point of the thread is "Americans are FAT" and yes, stuffing your face with fast food while you drive is a reason for it. Why are you so defensive?
This must be "diagnose a poster with mental illness" day on CD. It's happening all over the place to a lot of posters. Someone disagrees, and they have "insecurity", etc.

From the Steak n Shake website:

Steak 'n Shake Nutritional Information (http://www.steaknshake.com/nutritional_info/index.asp?p=10 - broken link)

The Original Double 1 sandwich 350 (calories).

Such a sandwich is well within the limits for a normal adult whose caloric requirement is 2000 cal/day. I read an article in, I believe the American Journal of Nursing or some other peer-reviewed journal about an experiment about people's perceptions of the obese. This was before the media-diagnosed "obesity epidemic", a term that is not used in professional literature. Anyway, overweight people observed eating in public were judged much more harshly than non-overweight people. Some people forget that the obese still have to eat, just like everyone else.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
This must be "diagnose a poster with mental illness" day on CD. It's happening all over the place to a lot of posters. Someone disagrees, and they have "insecurity", etc.

From the Steak n Shake website:

Steak 'n Shake Nutritional Information (http://www.steaknshake.com/nutritional_info/index.asp?p=10 - broken link)

The Original Double 1 sandwich 350 (calories).

Such a sandwich is well within the limits for a normal adult whose caloric requirement is 2000 cal/day. I read an article in, I believe the American Journal of Nursing or some other peer-reviewed journal about an experiment about people's perceptions of the obese. This was before the media-diagnosed "obesity epidemic", a term that is not used in professional literature. Anyway, overweight people observed eating in public were judged much more harshly than non-overweight people. Some people forget that the obese still have to eat, just like everyone else.
ROFL, well I guess I feel a bit honored that you are following me around quoting me today. Thanks for the news on Steak and Shake, I was merely using that as an example but appreciate the research you did on my behalf!
By the way, both my parents are obese and I have never been mean spirited towards an obese person. Again, the point of this thread is "Americans are obese" and it could be that fast food is a reason and the lack of control to wait till they are home to eat it another.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
ROFL, well I guess I feel a bit honored that you are following me around quoting me today. Thanks for the news on Steak and Shake, I was merely using that as an example but appreciate the research you did on my behalf!
By the way, both my parents are obese and I have never been mean spirited towards an obese person. Again, the point of this thread is "Americans are obese" and it could be that fast food is a reason and the lack of control to wait till they are home to eat it another.
What do you mean, following you around? I was referring to a number of people over on "Politics and Other Controversies" and I don't think you were even on that thread. Oh, well. As to what it "could be" that is causing obesity, I don't think that is for City-Data posters to decide. Leave it up to the researchers. "Lack of control"? Maybe they just want to eat it while it's hot, like all the rest of us.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:30 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,098,184 times
Quote:
Breeze, I get your point; although, everyone who is obese may not be so due to lack of control. I do think rushing to eat your food (like you do when you eat in the car) is a common element for many overweight people because you don't allow enough time for your brain to register fullness so you tend to overeat (at least I do when I rush with my eating). I also think all of the food additives allowed in our food contributes to how our body digest food and expend energy. In Europe, they appear to be more strict about additives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.