Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 03:12 AM

36 posts, read 28,808 times

Advertisements

Thanks for any help that you may be able to offer in advance. I am looking for a city, preferably urbane, but it does not have to be. I also prefer larger cities, educated is a bonus but not a must either. Employment is not a concern, neither are schools, family, geographic location, or dating. Here are some strong wants/preferences:
1. Fashion conscious, I like some flash. A haute sort of environment would be ideal
2. Fit people, strong gym culture...I exercise quite a bit
3. Love diversity, but not a must
4. A large percentage of people who are middle class and above
5. Culture is great (museums, art, symphony) but I really love the outdoors stuff, so I am flexible here. Would rather have hiking over symphony, if I cannot have both
6. Also I cannot do the cold, I lived in Chicago and it was great but I cannot do brutal winters anymore. I am okay with heat, don't like humidity but I know you cannot have everything. I also prefer sun over clouds.
7. I also absolutely love amenities, the more the better

It would be great to hear about cities that may meet these criteria that are on the "come up," so to speak. Here are some areas that fit my criteria but as I said, I'm looking for areas that I may not have already considered. So aside from these places:
1. Miami
2. Dallas
3. Atlanta
4. Southern Cali
5. San Francisco
6. Austin
7. Scottsdale/Phoenix area

If you have any suggestions then let me know. Or if you feel I am looking for Utopia then feel free to say that too. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 05:53 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
You've just described LA or Miami Beach, with an edge to LA in my opinion.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:48 AM

I know, and I love both of those places but I can't move to either. I can only dream... Any other suggestions? Any up and coming cities with that kind of vibe outside of southern cali and miami?

Old 04-24-2015, 10:15 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times
If you cannot afford Los Angeles, Scottsdale or Dallas would be your best bet. The difference is that Dallas has more cultural amenities and Scottsdale has more natural amenities, but both cities are great for shopping and fashion (although, fashion is something that I know nothing about, so I could be wrong).

I also think you might be pleasantly surprised by Salt Lake City. There's great shopping, great hiking, the people are fit, the economy is strong, and it's not nearly as religious/conservative as people stereotype it to be. It gets snow, but it's not as gloomy as Chicago, which makes a huge difference.

Tampa could be worth looking into, but I've never been there, so I cannot really say for sure.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:05 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienasty View Post
I know, and I love both of those places but I can't move to either. I can only dream... Any other suggestions? Any up and coming cities with that kind of vibe outside of southern cali and miami?
Why can't you move there? And please don't call it "Cali." Hope you're not thinking there are no financial options in SoCal.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:39 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
Dallas, Atlanta, San Francisco [well it's constantly cool] all get cold, so strike them from your list.

Personally, there are only 2 cities that fit, Los Angeles or Miami.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:03 PM

Ahh, thanks...Salt Lake City is a great option. Thanks for that idea, it gets cold but it is not overcast. Don't know anything about Tampa, will look into it. Thanks again!!!

Old 04-24-2015, 12:10 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienasty View Post
Ahh, thanks...Salt Lake City is a great option. Thanks for that idea, it gets cold but it is not overcast. Don't know anything about Tampa, will look into it. Thanks again!!!
Tampa doesn't fit your first criteria, it has no flash. It's rather laid back, people dress dumpy/suburban.

SLC is surprising, I can't imagine people there being flashy. Not to mention, it's well cold. It's small. Unless you're an avid skier, why SLC? It completely doesn't match any of your criteria.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:19 PM

Well, let me say that I love SoCal. I have lived and fit right into Santa Monica and West Hollywood. I also like Culver City and Los Feliz. The problem is my profession, it is just too saturated and it would be hard to make a living. This is probably true for other cities, but just not as bad. So I cannot move to the cities on the list I made for that reason as well...not enough work for me.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:31 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
first of all Cali is a city in Colombia.

Second living in Southern California isn't as expensive as most people think... Live within your means and you will find that living in SoCal can be very enjoyable. I own a condo by the beach and sure has hell don't make 6 figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.