U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 24,314 times

Advertisements

This may sound a little silly, but I have a huge fear of spiders. I just bought a new condo at the top floor of a high-rise. Outside of the windows are GIANT spiders making webs - especially at night.

I am not sure I can live in a place that looks out to huge spiders every night. I need some way to prevent them! Does anyone know of a way I can prevent these spiders around my windows?

If no one has any ideas - is there a better forum someone knows of that I could post this same message? I really need a solution. It's hard for me to sleep knowing they are right there outside my window. (at least they are OUTSIDE right?)

Thanks for the help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 11:55 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,384,130 times
Theyre harmless and actually our friends. Do you want them outside your window, or do you want West Nile Virus-carrying mosquitos and disease-ridden cockroaches around. Simply leave em be, let them do their job of ridding your residence of pesky bugs. Arachnophobia can easily be done away with, and once its gone, youll realize how silly you used to be by being scared of them. Trust me, I was an arachnophobe too, now I keep tarantulas/etc as pets.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:11 AM

74 posts, read 326,866 times
I have to laugh at this! I too, am an arachnophobe, but when I see spiders in my house I try to catch them in a Tupperware container and relocate them outside. I freak out the whole time, but it is slowly helping me with my fear. They are then members of my Spider Relocation Program.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:09 AM

10,238 posts, read 18,740,582 times
Just go out and spritz the things with Black Flag or something like that once in awhile.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:47 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,209,907 times
I have them too, and I don't really like spiders, but if they stay outside then they can do what they want.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:05 AM

3,940 posts, read 13,334,532 times
Tell your maintenance man or groundskeeper about them and let them deal with it!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:11 AM

3,597 posts, read 7,703,015 times
My apartment in Chicago is a friendly home to arachnids. They don't like to get tangled in my bedsheets, and aside from the occasional Why-Are-You-On-My-Clothing-Get-Out-Of-My-Closet incident (to be sure, a harrowing five minutes for everyone involved) they're the only natural force that attacks roaches.

If you're in an apartment building, even a well-maintained one only populated by spotless automatons, you're still going to have the occasional roach scare. Believe me, you're going to want something to ensure a roach-free environment. I've had a free range iguana and a banana spider run loose through my apartment to keep things under control. Despite the myth, actually, the banana spider cleared out roaches like every one was a scratch lotto ticket. When Roscoe died I bought the iguana, Ignacious, and just from his presence I never again saw a roach in my apartment.

We actually should have an "Urban Bug Problem" discussion thread, beyond spiders

Old 06-21-2008, 09:30 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,566,105 times
Don't even try. If you **** them off, they will eat you (and your soul).

Old 06-21-2008, 09:35 AM

3,597 posts, read 7,703,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Don't even try. If you **** them off, they will eat you (and your soul).
Yes, but if she rolls per+awareness I'm pretty sure she can wake up before the Ananasi can burrow.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:58 AM

421 posts, read 603,428 times
It's a myth to think that spiders will control insects. Spiders go where the insects are. The presence of spiders means a persistent insect problem. Also, the spiders will not eat the insects to the point that they all die and they die. My advice is to eat only in the dining room, don't spill food, and don't leave doors open. This will cut back on insects and hence spiders. Of course, this may not work in warmer climates like Texas or Florida, where people's houses are infested with large, disgusting bugs no matter what they do.

That said, I can sympathize with the above posters problem. Last year, outside the bedroom of my second floor apartment a 1 inch spider (which is extremely large by Ohio standards) set up shop. I could not figure out any way to get rid of it. I never opened the window the entire summer, and I hated even cracking open the blinds (especially at night when the street light cast this massive spider shadow all over my bed room). It died once the winter came around, and no spiders have setup shop in that location this year. Sorry, I know this doesn't help much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.