U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:10 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,995,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
sounds like a good cincinnatian talking about kentucky .
LOL sure does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 11:45 AM

187 posts, read 477,146 times
I don't believe for one minute this will ever be built. There's no market. Even if it's a mixed use building, there is no market in Philly to swallow a project of this size. However, it's a nice thought and design.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:20 PM

3,667 posts, read 8,768,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
god i hope so....

but i doubt it. i don't think it wants to be really. i think the ACC tower is more to show the world that Philly is still an international player and not just a crime zone. the tower (if built) hopefully will lure a big global corporation away from NYC and spark center city with more retail, restaurants, movie theatre...and draw more residents..

love this rendering (view from the stadiums) although not sure if it should be a little closer to the CC

Philly has a really great skyline. I think it's one of the best in the US. (top 5) As for this being built--I'd say doubtful, especially RIGHT NOW--in this banking and economic fiasco of ours. But, if the financial backers are on board, and the developers can fill the building, it could get built. How much opposition there is to it being built though, is another story. Is there much?

Old 07-02-2008, 02:24 PM

980 posts, read 2,908,334 times
Philadelphia Tower Hopes To Be Biggest In United States

The American Commerce Center, a newly proposed skyscraper in Philadelphia, now hopes to be the biggest in the United States. This is not met without opposition, however.

The American Commerce Center, a newly proposed skyscraper in Philadelphia, plans on becoming the biggest building in the United States. At this time that goal seems higly unlikley. It will be met by strong opposition from both near and far. This does not stop the American Commerce Center's developer from having high hopes about the future.

To the Northeast of Philadelphia, in New York City, a new building is already taking shape. On the site of the World Trade Centers, The Freedom Tower is also looking to be the biggest in the United States. At 1,776 feet, this new tower will already stand taller then the proposed Philadelphia Building. What if this building never is finished? That scenario would not give American Commerce Center the title by default.

At the mouth of the Chicago River, an even bigger building then the Freedom Tower is under construction. The Chicago Spire, set to stand at 2,000 feet would be the biggest building in the United States upon completion. Like it's Philadelphia counterpart, this building also aims for the title, and is much more likley to get it.

There are many other problems working against American Commerce Center. Philadelphia residents worry the tower would be out of scale with the surrounding area. Neighbors say it may block the sun and bring too much traffic. There is also the issue of weather or not to count the antenna on the Sears Tower, which would end the dreams of the Philadelphia building.

Only time will tell if the Philadelphia Tower will be completed, but it's certainly an uphill battle

Last edited by JerichoHW; 07-02-2008 at 03:59 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 02:37 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,148,250 times
Ok problem number one, none of these buildings will be the BIGGEST building in the U.S., simply the tallest.

Problem number two, "...the issue of weather or not to count the antenna...," umm, whether?

Old 07-02-2008, 03:56 PM

hahaha don't hate on me for posting the most recent article on the subject I could find, lol

Old 07-02-2008, 03:58 PM

I find the design for the American Commerce Center to be a really nice one actually. I find it silly that people compare it too the Freedom tower, because it looks unique all on it's own.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:00 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,319,905 times
^^ The design of this tower is very similar to the old design of 1 WTC. That's why its compared, not to the new design

Old 07-02-2008, 04:07 PM

Ohh thanks Billiam, I was wondering where the comparison came from.

I'm sure this video has been seen before, but I can't help but post it

YouTube - Philadelphia announces 1500FT "American Commerce Center"

Old 08-20-2008, 01:14 PM

347 posts, read 1,050,055 times
I believe that this towner would fit in really nicely in the Philadelphia Skyline. The architecture is of landmark quality and would bring a lot of recongnition to Philadelphia. Also, a large city like Philadlephia should be able to find tenants to fill it. I hope this tower is built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or