U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:49 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,047,258 times

Advertisements

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine?

What makes you believe that all these deaths will happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 07:50 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,572,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The housing market is just a small piece of the puzzle. We aren't going into a Great Depression because of the housing market. We are going into it because of oil and gas prices. Under our best case scenario, we are looking at a decade of 30-40% unemployment as Americans adjust their standard of living appropriately. Basically a repeat of the Great Depression of not a tad worse. Worst case, and more likely scenario - 150-200 million Americans dead by 2020 and 4 billion dead worldwide. Those who survive will live in hell on earth. This isn't a game - the party is over. Mankind is headed not into another Great Depression but into another Dark Ages.
Wow, you're soooo positive. Can you say exaggerate?? Where do you get such things??

Old 06-21-2008, 07:50 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,038,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Aren't you just a ray of sunshine?

What makes you believe that all these deaths will happen?
Something called 'Peak Oil'. This video will explain it better than I can.

YouTube - You Can Survive Peak Oil -New Energy Crisis, Fuel Shortage 1

Old 06-21-2008, 07:52 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,572,134 times
Quote:
Exactly. People still have jobs. People can still live comfortably. Things are a little bit tight for the average American family, but most people haven't had to make any huge sacrifices. Our lives haven't been affected too dramatically.

Things aren't great, but we have to have hope. We have to try to make things better. If we don't, we're doomed by default.
I agree, you are correct.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:00 PM

bchris:

I've actually read studies that have claimed that there is enough oil in the earth to last thousands of years, and that we just need to find a way to access it.

I'm not so sure this guy is legit, anyway. It sounds like he's just a superstitious old man following the old (Aztec?) myth that the world is going to end in 2012...but with his own special twist. He doesn't strike me as a highly reliable source, but more of a sensationalist.

I mean, if this international emergency is going to take place, I have a feeling that it will take more than 4 years to hit rock bottom. Especially since there's still a wealthy class. That time estimation doesn't make sense to me.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:50 PM

4,126 posts, read 4,462,842 times
We will never run out of oil because as the price continues to rise people just won't be able to buy it. There has to be a break even point in extracting oil. Even if there's a million-year supply of oil, if it takes more energy to get it than it produces it's pretty much worthless. The trick isn't getting it out of the ground, it's getting it out cost effectively.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
bchris:

I've actually read studies that have claimed that there is enough oil in the earth to last thousands of years, and that we just need to find a way to access it.

I'm not so sure this guy is legit, anyway. It sounds like he's just a superstitious old man following the old (Aztec?) myth that the world is going to end in 2012...but with his own special twist. He doesn't strike me as a highly reliable source, but more of a sensationalist.

I mean, if this international emergency is going to take place, I have a feeling that it will take more than 4 years to hit rock bottom. Especially since there's still a wealthy class. That time estimation doesn't make sense to me.
Come to think of it...I'll add this thought: sometimes even the most legitimate of predictions can fall through.

Remember the Y2K scare?

The Y2K scare had a more reasonable basis than theory, yet it still never happened.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:57 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,017,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post
The long term trends are not good. Fewer educated people having offspring. More Third World and domestic underclass people still having kids (often on our taxpayer dime). We are destroying our productive future for innovation by basically subsidizing the least successful of our society. It doesn't make much sense when the middle and even upper classes can't afford to have many kids.

The entire Federal budget within 20 years will have around 70 percent of all revenue collected going for just social programs (social security, medicare, welfare etc.). That leaves very little for infrastructure building, science, research, defense and even service on the exploding national debt.

The gravy train will come to an end. It probably won't be pretty either. Save your money, plan your own retirement and consider moving away from the large metro areas before the "Great Society" welfare checks begin to bounce. I wish I could be more cheerful, but the current trends look very bleak. And the powerful lobby for the AARP will not let us make some needed changes to the SS program before it is too late. We simply don't want to hear the truth. Even when the medicine now would be easier for all of us to handle vs 20 years from now when it is a full-blown crisis. And when 80 million long-lived Baby Boomers retire and overrun the system...

About the only cheerful news I can offer is the fact that the US dollar is becoming worth so little overseas. Eventually, our Rust Belt areas may see manufacturing return simply because our devalued currency makes enterprise here competitive with the rest of the world.
despite the inaccuracy, you could have just came out and blamed immigrants and blacks/hispanics with the underclass/unsuccessful comment. the depression was a bond issue and an issue of commitment of money that isn't real. the national debt, among other figures, isn't a real number, it's part of our economic theory and an indicator of where other numbers should be to maintain viability.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:24 AM

1,915 posts, read 4,603,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post
The long term trends are not good. Fewer educated people having offspring. More Third World and domestic underclass people still having kids (often on our taxpayer dime). We are destroying our productive future for innovation by basically subsidizing the least successful of our society. It doesn't make much sense when the middle and even upper classes can't afford to have many kids.

What's up with that? Middle class Americans can't afford to have many kids and therefore limit their family size to what they can afford, while many of the "underclass" and poor have large families without regard to what they can afford....and they all end up being subsidized by the middle and upper-middle class folks who are trying to act responsibly. If people can't afford to have kids, IMO, maybe they should think twice before having them! What's going on here?? This is not a sustainable situation.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:36 AM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Middle and upper income people usually have as many kids as they want and can afford. They have access to family planniing measures, and have a long history of using such services. Birth rates tend to go down as the likelihood of the children surviving goes up. There is research that immigrant women have smaller families within a generation of moving to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or