U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:48 PM

56,656 posts, read 80,952,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The thing with NYC high schools is that kids can apply to whatever ones they want. You hardly see kids going to their local high schools in NYC, even if a kid lives in the Upper East Side. That local high school will attract kids from all over, including kids in gangs, drug sellers, etc.
I did read in our local paper about a girl that was in the A Better Chance program at one of the local suburban schools that said that they have a lottery system in NYC as to what HS a kid will attend. She was from Harlem and she decided to enter her name in the ABC program and she was picked. In Upstate, for the kids that attend public schools, the girls go to Fayetteville-Manlius High, which is an affluent Eastern suburb of Syracuse and the boys go to Clinton, which is an affluent suburb of Utica. Some attend private schools in Upstate too. Here's information on the program, btw:A Better Chance : A Better Chance Home

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-06-2009 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 07:53 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,325,746 times
I think a better question would be what major cities DO have good schools?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:01 PM

56,656 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I was wondering about the same thing. Madison WI's school district is known for being pretty good:Madison Metropolitan School District

Madison Metropolitan School District schools - district elementary, middle, and high school information

Old 02-07-2009, 05:35 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,138,123 times
Camden, Nj and Compton, CA

Old 02-07-2009, 05:54 PM

34 posts, read 60,606 times
Dallas Independent School District (DISD) has some bad schools.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:24 PM

87,013 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Quote:
Denver Public Schools' overall graduation rate is 46% (!), but it varies widely from school to scool. Several of Denver's high schools are on Newsweek's best high schools list.

Graduation rates still dismal - The Denver Post

Old 02-08-2009, 11:13 AM

23,648 posts, read 33,445,874 times
Quote:
Virginia Beach, VA
Raleigh
Lexington, KY
San Jose

Old 02-08-2009, 12:57 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
New Orleans public schools have had a remarkable record of failure since the 1960's.
Historically, anybody who can afford it sends their kids to very low-cost New Orleans Catholic schools, which, for Catholic families (most of the population) , are very heavily subsidized by the church. For this reason, only the dregs are enrolled in New Orleans public schools. The NO parochial schools have very high educational standards, and discipline rules that the public school would not be allowed to get away with. So you can't judge NO schools by the standards set in the public school system.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:05 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
My wife used to so social work in a little town called Greenville, Florida, east of Tallahassee. In some years, there was no graduating class---not a single student staying long enough to graduate. When I lived near Powhattan, Kansas, one year the class valedictorian (and only graduate)was a C student who only stayed in school through his senior year so he could play on the football team and try for a scholarship. Stories like these are not at all uncommon in a lot of small school districts around the country with a largely minority student body.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:05 PM

87,013 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Virginia Beach, VA
Raleigh
Lexington, KY
San Jose
All but San Jose are fairly small. Omaha, NE has good schools, and is bigger than Raleigh or Lexington, and just barely smaller than Virginia Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or