U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:49 PM

305 posts, read 886,370 times

Advertisements

How is the littering in your state and how much is the fine for littering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:26 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,092,123 times
The littering is doing just fine. Thank you very much for asking. :-)

Drive along the highways and roads of Missouri and especially as you enter the Kansas City metro area and you'll see more junk and garbage in the roads than any place in the country. I've driven in something like 40 different states and to date I've never seen so much garbage on the roads including the highways as I've seen in the Kansas City area.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:34 PM

16,738 posts, read 23,174,179 times
CT does pretty well cleaning up any litter. Driving along any of the state highways you really won't see any garbage - especially the Merritt Parkway. I think this is noteworthy given our dense population.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:24 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,061,142 times
Louisiana has a ton of litter, but there are places where it is much worse than others. For instance, the other day, I was driving north of Baton Rouge to Mississippi and I was taking Highway 61 since I hate I-55 and they were cutting the grass on the Median of Senic Highway/Samuels Road and they hadn't had the inmates pick up the trash first, and the mower was turning the thousands of pieces of litter into millions of pieces of litter. Then there are other places where I hardly ever see trash.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:30 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,069,248 times
Cincinnati had the most litter of any place I have ever been to. I have walked some of the inner streets at night around clubs and stuff. The back alleys had trash everywhere just blowing around. Sometimes before the street sweeper comes around it looks like its been abandoned after a nuclear strike and you're waiting for zombies to attack.

If anyone has ever played Resident Evil, it looks like that in some places. I thought that was just over exaggerated scenes from one street in NYC or something. Nope. Some inner cities really have trash blowing around everywhere. Glass broken all over the roads and alleyways. You get the feeling real quick its not a good place to be walking around.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:03 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,459,022 times
the fine in New Mexico for littering is $500, the deserts usually have trash all on the sides of the roads and further out people dump everything out there from junk cars to washer and dryers, you will also see paper bags stuck to cactus

in some areas you can get fined for throwing out a cigarette butt cause its so dry

Old 06-23-2008, 08:21 AM

305 posts, read 886,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
the fine in New Mexico for littering is $500, the deserts usually have trash all on the sides of the roads and further out people dump everything out there from junk cars to washer and dryers, you will also see paper bags stuck to cactus

in some areas you can get fined for throwing out a cigarette butt cause its so dry
I think but I am not sure but in Minnesota our fine is 300.00. Our ditches areclean and you never see trash laying around but then the city where I live is really good about hiring people to do just that pick up garbage.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:26 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,689,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Louisiana has a ton of litter, but there are places where it is much worse than others. For instance, the other day, I was driving north of Baton Rouge to Mississippi and I was taking Highway 61 since I hate I-55 and they were cutting the grass on the Median of Senic Highway/Samuels Road and they hadn't had the inmates pick up the trash first, and the mower was turning the thousands of pieces of litter into millions of pieces of litter. Then there are other places where I hardly ever see trash.
Yeah, I know sometimes that happens. Louisiana tries hard to keep up with its litter patrol, but there are so many litter bugs both instate and out of state its really a full time job (well almost). I don't know what makes people so lazy and uncaring, but they sure are.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:36 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,423,575 times
Parts of IL are pretty bad, others are not. Like pretty much everywhere else I imagine....

Old 06-23-2008, 04:14 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,576,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeen2008 View Post
How is the littering in your state and how much is the fine for littering?
It's a $500 fine here. Littering is not bad in my area. The work release inmates clean area roads often and there's also the Adopt A Highway program where a group can volunteer to clean a 2 mile stretch of road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or