U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:14 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times

Advertisements

Happiest: New Hampshire, NW Indiana

Least Happy: Kansas City, and Kansas

I did not care for the people in Kansas City for the most part. Many seemed to have a lot of judgemental ideas regarding many issues, and were not too friendly. I also did not care for the "sunbelt style" plastic fake people either.

I liked New Hampshire and NW Indiana the best due to great scenery, jobs, lakes, and proximity to larger urban areas The people in these locations tend to be friendly, helpful, and reserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 09:23 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,877,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
I've been happy everywhere, because I got it like that.

Happiest: Dallas,Texas!

Least happy: Las Vegas (assigned there 18 mos)

Yep, people are so unhappy in Texas our population just keeps growing and growing and growing....
Completely agree, I am extremely happy here in Texas (Houston) lots to do, worldclass culture and activities, the hottest girls (Texas in general) and friendly people. I was also very happy living in NY state. the one drawback with NY for me was the job situation

Least favorite was California, lived in SD and was kind of bored there, lots of druggies and dirtbags, although it was Pacific Beach I lived in and I might have liked it better in a different neighborhood

Old 09-04-2008, 11:08 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,969,738 times
Happiest: Massachusetts, New Hampshire

Most unhappy: California

Old 09-04-2008, 11:15 AM

5,858 posts, read 14,044,713 times
Happiest: MN & NY
Unhappiest: FL

Old 09-04-2008, 11:27 AM

5,858 posts, read 14,044,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e dantes View Post
I moved to Kansas City, Mo. early last year after living most of my life in Central New York. Missouri is OK, but I REALLY miss Upstate New York. The people are friendlier, and it's a far more beautiful state than any I've seen. I love the proximity to several major cities, Canada, and New England states. Will move back with my wife in a couple of years.
I know what you mean. I'm originally from NYS, too, and I didn't really appreciate its natural beauty until I moved to 4 subsequent states. I do think the fact that it was "home" may have colored my perception.

When I lived in Iowa I knew people from small towns that had atrocious architecture, miles of nothing but cornfields in every direction, land flat as a pancake, no place to shop but WalMart, no place to eat but Hardee's, the whole place smelling like manure, and they thought it was the most beautiful place in the world (because it was home). I can respect that: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. They wouldn't have thought much of my rust Belt home town, either.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:30 PM

398 posts, read 1,163,391 times
I grew up in CT and couldn't wait to leave. I lived right outside of Fairfield County and it was just getting too built up for me. There were very few parks and very little preserved land. Plus, I could have never afforded to buy a place in that area. Those are the main reasons I moved.

I'm now in Colorado an hour west of Denver and I love it. I love all of the open space and am constantly amazed at how many parks there are within a 30 minute drive. Denver is a nice easy city to navigate, and it has just about everything I could want in a city.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:40 PM

3,528 posts, read 7,322,158 times
Clifton, NJ = MISERABLE
Nashville, TN = HAPPY
Murfreesboro, TN = ECSTATIC

Old 09-04-2008, 06:03 PM

769 posts, read 2,010,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
I've been happy everywhere, because I got it like that.

Happiest: Dallas,Texas!

Least happy: Las Vegas (assigned there 18 mos)

Yep, people are so unhappy in Texas our population just keeps growing and growing and growing....
The people who move into Texas fall into three categories:

1. People who move into Texas and like it.

2. Illegal immigrants because Texas is very welcoming of illegal immigrants.

3. People like me and other posters who didn't like Texas. We originally went there thinking we'd be in for a pleasant surprise but we got a horribly rude awakening instead.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:01 AM

19 posts, read 46,117 times
Default I agree!

I agree with What's post. #3, hit the nail on the head.
Your #3 reason for people who move to Texas fits me and my situation perfectly. My kids love it here, and when I leave, my oldest wants to move to another part of Texas for school, God bless him.
I have never been more held down culturally, financially, and all things in between, than I been since I have been here.
Being educated, military-trained, and a few other things, has not worked in my favor.
I am in Corpus Christi, and I have not been able to fit in with the good ol boys, or the women, out in the workplace, nor have I been able to dummy down enough for the locals, and the military wife crowd...well, that is just boring. Before anyone yells, I was a soldier, and I was a wife, so I can call it as I see it.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:03 PM

120 posts, read 422,359 times
I am very happy in Texas, but I was extremely unhappy in Florida and Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.