U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:26 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,050,763 times

Advertisements

And to answer the first question, there are also lots of Poles and such in San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,063 times
Another area that has a lot of Bohemians is North Dakota, especially the southwest corner. My family coming from Bohemia in 1906 still farms there.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:54 PM

295 posts, read 756,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qazzaq9 View Post
I'm not really sure how to word the thread title, but I was wondering something. Are there towns in the U.S. where Eastern European families tend to settle or that just have more than an average number of Eastern Europeans living there. I mean outside of NYC, L.A., Miami, and Chicago, of course. I'm thinking from countries like Slovenia, Romania, Poland, Russia, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, the Ukraine, Czech Republic, etc.

These countries are the ones I would most like to travel to someday, and I really enjoy reading about their history, geography, and culture. Also I need to choose a language to take in school and I've been thinking about Russian. But I was wondering about the practicality of it. In case I never did travel is there anywhere in the U.S. where I might get a chance to use it? I mean the obvious choice would be Spanish but my interest would be Russian or a similiar language. Then again with all the changes over there how far would russian get me if I did travel. Does anyone know what language(s) are the most useful to know while traveling in central and eastern Europe? I'm just trying to learn some more about languages, so any help with info is appreciated.
As for Croats the oldest communities are, as far as I know, gold diggers in California, than maritime industry (oysters in Louisiana, fishing in San Pedro), and miners in Ohio, Pennsylvania. Coastal Croats (Dalmatians) tend to go to southern parts, while continental Croats immigrated to colder places. I think 95% of Croatian Americans immigrated late 19/early 20 century.

I believe Pittsburgh, Pa. is the city with the highest nr of our people in the USA.

Donít worry about the travel over here Ė English will be just enough. In fact, Russian could be useless since a lot of Central/Eastern European people, due to the recent history, refuse to speak it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or