U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:35 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,353,076 times

Advertisements

Do you have a US visa? Green card?

First things first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 09:39 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,938,946 times
You're going to borrow $14,000 from a bank with no job and no collateral, and you're then going to go to a foreign country.
Tell me again you're not a troll!

Old 06-24-2008, 10:00 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,726,416 times
I agree with others that big cities in the Northeast and on the west coast tend to be expensive places to live. You might really want to give some serious thought to whether you want to take out a loan, so you're starting out owing money, and then try to make it in one of the more expensive cities in the U.S. You've mentioned Boston several times. I live in that area, and I can tell you that it's tough to make it there financially if you're not working full time in either a professional-level job or a skilled trade. It's possible to scrape by on a low-wage job, but it's a real struggle. And it's more expensive to live right in the city. In order to have the best chance of living on low pay you'd be best off living in the suburbs, away from the active city life I'm guessing you're seeking.

The best way to decide which college to attend is to do some serious research. A good place to start is at the websites of the colleges you're considering. Spend some serious time looking at the academic departments that offer majors you might consider, to see which schools have high-quality faculty in areas that interest you. Look up all the costs, like tuition and FEES (make sure to check these out, because they can add a lot to the college bill), housing costs, and the cost of on-campus meal plans and student health insurance. Check to see how much the insurance covers. Some schools' student health insurance policies cover most major medical costs, while others would leave you without comprehensive coverage. Decide whether you want to live on campus or off. If you'd prefer to be on campus, look at the housing section on each school's website to find out whether the school has housing options that would work for you, at a price you can afford. If you'd rather live off campus, check on typical rents, again, to see how much housing typically costs in each city. A good website to check for an idea of the approximate rent in each city is craigslist.org.

By doing thorough research, you can find out a lot about each college and about the cities where the colleges that interest you are located. It's great to have adventures and see new places, but it could be a serious problem for you if you were to go off to another country, thousands of miles from home, in tight financial circumstances, without being fully familiar with which city and college would best fit your needs.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:12 PM

5,721 posts, read 9,087,125 times
Nice to see someone from Boston chiming in and reinforcing some of what I've stated.

Another place to consider is Columbus, Ohio or possibly Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Both are far cheaper than New England and the other cities mentioned and they each have excellent colleges. Ohio State in Columbus and then the University of Pittsburgh and Duquesne University. And you can more easily keep a roof over your head on entry level wages in these communities than virtually any city in New England.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:53 PM

29 posts, read 61,233 times
Thank you very much all !! I'll really think about it long and hard ! Thanks !

Old 06-25-2008, 12:23 AM

388 posts, read 1,437,886 times
Hey,

Greetings to Bulgaria Im from Czech republic and want to move to the US after Ill graduate university there.

Well, USA is not an excellent country without crime, drugs etc. You will find there rude people like in Bulgaria. USA is crime is not that bad in most cities, however, dont move to Baltimore, Detroit, Saint Louis and New Orleans. The city YOU should move to is Dallas / Fort Worth, Houston, Austin - Texas - southern US, the lowest cost of living of big cities in the US. There is just one con - If you dont like heat and humidity (especially in Houston) dont move to those cities. The other cities I can recommend you are Minneapolis / Saint Paul in Minnesota - again depends if you can stand the Minnesota winters...

Moving to the US is not as easy as you think... Or you wanna be illegal immigrant? Well, dont try that. Its just making a lot of problems to the US people and its the most terrible way you can move to the US. Try the USCIS web, where you find all the informations about LEGAL immigration. If you will do it the legal way, I think that Americans will like you, because you will do it the same way as their forefathers that and you will be respected for it. USA accepts to their country someting over one million legal immigrants (and about another million as illegal immigrants).

I wish you will make it and GOOD LUCK. Continue the Bulgarian culture in the US, especially food!

Btw: If you dont make it in the US, try Canada.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:02 AM

605 posts, read 2,219,321 times
Any chance we could have these two (almost) identical threads from the same user merged?

Old 06-25-2008, 07:00 AM

@MJay - I know it's not easy to go to US. But I'll try everything to go there. Yeah.. Bulgarians are very rude.. real a**holes... But not all Bulgarians are like that! I don't like the heats... who does anyway.. Minneapolis is a good choice. But there is a whole year I should wait until i graduate high school here in Bulgaria. So I have a lot of time to research the US cities, colleges, rents, jobs etc. I've just needed some opinions so I can dispose with information. And when the time comes I'll make the right choice for me based on all the information i've gathers all this time! Because it's a huge step in life for someone to move to another country/continent alone.. with no friends there.. That's why I ask and search info all around the web! Thanks all!

PS: @MJay I'll continue the Bulgarian culture in US! Everything about it

Last edited by wallk3r; 06-25-2008 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake :)

Old 06-25-2008, 07:30 AM

3,940 posts, read 13,337,597 times
You also don't have to get an apartment your first year here. If you are going to school you will probably have to live in the school's dormitory for at least the first year. This will save you a lot of money and time.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:24 AM

Is college dormitory free ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.