Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Los Angeles: traffic, real estate, mortgage, metropolitan city, earthquake survival.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 PM

93 posts, read 247,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
It has better weather and coastal elitism, the insane growth of wealth and power, that makes flyover states feel incredibly uncomfortable. Hence many efforts from Chicago posters to downgrade the city.
I think there is very, very little "discomfort" or envy towards California in the "flyover states." In general, I find that most in flyover states - aside from displaced Californians, and those that are interested in the entertainment industry - are quite happy that their states are not like California, weather aside, to the extent that they even think about it at all. I'm quite certain that the vast majority of Chicagoans, in particular, are entirely comfortable with that city's not insubstantial amount of "wealth and power."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 10:23 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Quote:
the Carolinas are booming with Californian expatriates.
As are the Ozarks. The majority of the people moving to that fast-growing region are from California. Much of Kansas City's growth comes from the coasts, also.
Frankly, I don't care about any of that. I just think it's sad that people are being forced away from home, because they can't afford to live there anymore. I'm sure some of them are "cashing in", but all the ones I've talked to simply cannot pay the mortgage.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:28 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
I can assure you that Angelenos do not relocate to Chicago if they leave California. Las Vegas has a large number of former residents of LA; so does Arizona/Oregon/Washington/Hawaii.

My family is 5 generation Californio & are quite happy living all over the state, including Los Angeles. There was a discussion comparing Los Angeles with Chicago & a poster claimed that Californian's vacation in Illinois, right

I like Chicago, but like many out here, could never even consider living in a climate of long brutal winters no matter how nice the city.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:30 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I can assure you that Angelenos do not relocate to Chicago if they leave California. Las Vegas has a large number of former residents of LA; so does Arizona/Oregon/Washington/Hawaii.

My family is 5 generation Californio & are quite happy living all over the state, including Los Angeles. There was a discussion comparing Los Angeles with Chicago & a poster claimed that Californian's vacation in Illinois, right

I like Chicago, but like many out here, could never even consider living in a climate of long brutal winters no matter how nice the city.
Long, brutal winters are a beautiful thing.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:32 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
As are the Ozarks. The majority of the people moving to that fast-growing region are from California. Much of Kansas City's growth comes from the coasts, also.
Frankly, I don't care about any of that. I just think it's sad that people are being forced away from home, because they can't afford to live there anymore. I'm sure some of them are "cashing in", but all the ones I've talked to simply cannot pay the mortgage.
I'm entirely positive in my believe that people in California couldn't even point to the Ozarks on a map. Texas, now, they go to Texas often, but Kansas? This I do not believe, nor have I seen any support evidencing it.

Secondly, how flattering would you find it if your state or neighborhood was a national refugee camp for people who would do anything to be "someplace better"? It's not exactly a compliment to be the banishment grounds for people who will never view your state as someplace they would consider living longterm.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:25 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
LA is such an easy city to hate for so many people. I grew up in Northern CA and there is so much of a "I Hate LA" mentality that is ingrained in people's heads there from birth. It's not such an easy city to love anymore with all of the problems it has but it does offer a lot for those that are willing to look past it's negative qualities. I like it a lot but it's not a city you instantly fall in love with or like at all. You have to get to know LA and experiance it to really understand what it has to offer and to appreciate it. I guess that makes it more challenging that other cities but doesn't necessarily make it fundamentally worse overall. Despite it's size, it's still a relatively young city with a lot of growing up to do and I think it has a lot of potential to be something better than it is now. If it could just get it's transportation and mobility issues in order it could easily continue to develop nicely into the future. There are a lot of possibilities in LA but traffic is choking the city and past planning/development issues are preventing some forward progress. Overall I like the city and I think in time it will get better with age.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:33 PM

149 posts, read 200,872 times
Quote:
Los Angeles is incredibly exclusive. It has a culture that does not at all derive from New York City, which makes the east coast elitists feel extremely uncomfortable since there's an entire coast of people who couldn't care less about them. When I lived in Manhattan it was a very common to hear colleagues complain on and on and on about how their special Harvard-educated selves were simply out of place. And not for misunderstanding the culture, but because they were clearly so much better and special. Right? Wrong.

It has better weather and coastal elitism, the insane growth of wealth and power, that makes flyover states feel incredibly uncomfortable. Hence many efforts from Chicago posters to downgrade the city.

It's a whole other world that has had an extreme tendency to complete ignore everyone else. Add to this the stunning scenery, the educated and financial elite that rule the state from cities that range from tropical paradise to Tuscan Villa to the distinct European scenery in SF, and you have a place literally like no other in the country. It really is its own country.
Where do people get such nonsensical thoughts from? 95% of New Yorkers and Californians are NOT elite so your argument is completely off topic. This is city-data, not a country club.

But since you've taken it there, I've lived in San Fransisco and Los Angeles for years and and I recently arrived in New York and I honestly think you're wrong when it comes to elites and their mannerisms and their so called "hate" of the West Coast elite. First of all, when it comes to affluence and "elitist" (if thats your thing), New York trumps Los Angeles. The notion that the true elites in NYC even give a second thought (let alone feel uncomfortable) around smaller group of elites in the "west coast" is laughable.

And the New York elites I've known don't hate California. In fact they could care less about anyplace else other than New York, The Hamptons, and [insert random European destination]. The ones I've known do like San Fransisco and San Fransisco's elite have more ties with the New York elite than the Los Angeles elite so your argument is moot. If you weren't aware, The San Fransiscan "smug" generally looks down on Los Angeles so this whole fallacy of state-wide elitist alliance is false.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:45 PM

149 posts, read 200,872 times
Quote:
This is incorrect on several levels. I bought a three-bed, two-bath house for less than a million in a nice part of LA. Is it Beverly Hills? No. It's just suburbia, but it's close to work and it's very spacious. I didn't pay through the nose. Only in San Francisco proper do you find real estate prices that high.

California real estate is a function of both desire and necessity. CA actually has educated people fighting to get in, unlike your old, gritty cities in the midwest. So I'm not entirely certain where this "15 minutes of has-been fame" is coming from, because Los Angeles never set out to win a popularity contest. We did achieve a level of desire that has the best restaurants, universities and real estate in this country, and all of the problems that come with it.

As I said, and as is evidenced by northbound, most midwesterners are extremely put off by California. A lot of this does have to do with coastal elitism, as I've had to explain to people time and again that Chicago is a real city and yes, I really did use public transit and live in a skyscraper. Blows their minds that I lived across from where I worked for a reasonable price.

But they also understand quite clearly (and without having to be told) that demand in for real estate in the midwest is nonexistant, and supply is sky-high on basically worthless land.
And why do you seem to confuse the words Los Angeles and California?

Wasn't there a best state poll on this forum? California received the most votes, so this California vs. Elsewhere argument is senseless. I think it's been established that people LOVE California (San Fransisco and San Diego, specifically) and are aware that it's the best *state*, but Los Angeles is a completely different story. California does not equal Los Angeles. The OP is asking why people bash LOS ANGELES.

I personally enjoyed living in Los Angeles. LA is fab. The weather, the beaches the opportunity. I think it's an exaggeration that people bash LA. LA is usually only bashed when there is a "Los Angeles vs _____" thread and people try to defend their city. The only city that seems immune to bashing is THE city,.. New York City, or SF for one reason or another..maybe .

Last edited by soho111; 06-24-2008 at 11:54 PM..

Old 06-24-2008, 11:59 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soho111 View Post
Where do people get such nonsensical thoughts from? 95% of New Yorkers and Californians are NOT elite so your argument is completely off topic. This is city-data, not a country club.

But since you've taken it there, I've lived in San Fransisco and Los Angeles for years and I recently arrived in New York and I honestly think you're wrong when it comes to elites and their mannerisms and their so called "hate" of the West Coast elite. First of all, when it comes to affluence and "elitist" (if thats your thing), New York trumps Los Angeles. The notion that the true elites in NYC even give a second thought (let alone feel uncomfortable) around smaller group of elites in the "west coast" is laughable.

And the New York elites I've known don't hate California. In fact they could care less about anyplace else other than New York, The Hamptons, and [insert random European destination]. The ones I've known do like San Fransisco and San Fransisco's elite have more ties with the New York elite than the Los Angeles elite so your argument is moot. If you weren't aware, The San Fransiscan "smug" generally looks down on Los Angeles so this whole fallacy of state-wide elitist alliance is false.
I guess it boils down to what one's experience is. I have lived all over California from Chico/Fresno in the Central Valley to the Bay Area for college & on the Central Coast as well as Los Angeles. It must be that I am not an elitist that I never run into smugness about LA from San Franciscans. Many friends from San Francisco enjoy spending time in LA b/c of the many things that are not available to them in San Francisco. Just like it is not uncommon for Angelenos to spend a weekend in the Bay Area/Monterey Bay/Napa Valley & love it. Ironically the only people I have heard complain about Los Angeles are some of my relatives who can't deal with the traffic & huge size but these folks live in rural areas of the Sacramento valley where many Angelenos would go nuts in boredom

I have also lived near Chicago for 2 years & spent 3 years living in Brooklyn. It was only in NYC where I encountered negative comments about Los Angeles & California, in general [and most had never been to California]. Being asked if opera was performed in LA in a snotty matter or comments about the weird people were not uncommon.

I can not think of a more inappropriate comment to make to a visitor/newcomer from LA than to put down your quests hometown. So if that is NYC elitism than I am all the more happy to have left the East Coast to return to the place I was born [where nobody comments about other cities/states unless it is anger over the political ramifications [ie.NYC is much more Republican than any large city in California - is that sophistication?].

Btw - learn to spell San Francisco, esp since you claim to have lived there [is that an unsophisticated comment?

Last edited by happ; 06-25-2008 at 12:12 AM..

Old 06-25-2008, 02:01 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Welllll......... most of the people I run into here in fly-over country either hate it, or are indifferent towards it. LA is a has-been town. It's fifteen minutes are up. I've been there twice, and have no desire to go back.
Plastic women, smoggy skies, looks-are-everything, substance is nothing, better-than-thou Hollywood preachiness, race riots over a convicted criminal, O.J.... did I mention real estate prices? Even with the current situation, you suckers in L.A. are still paying out the gord for some rat hole to lay your head in. A half-million dollar house out there only costs 100k in the real world. L.A.'s average income isn't nearly enough to cover it, either.
There's people all over the place that don't care for LA, not just on C-D.
No, I'm not the slightest bit jealous, or "uncomfortable". Give me a break. Yes, I'm a proud midwesterner, who loves our old, gritty, close-knit cities.
Of all the people I've known who have actually lived in LA, I'd say that 9 out of 10 have absolutely loved it. Actually, probably even more than that.

If people who live there are happy, shouldn't other people be happy for them? I don't get why people in other regions should hate a city that they don't even live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.