Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Los Angeles: traffic, real estate, mortgage, metropolitan city, earthquake survival.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:45 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,016 times

Advertisements

Why does he own LA posters an apology? Are you going to demand the majority of Americans who participated in the Travel&Leisure/CNN survey to apologize to Angelenos because of their negative views towards LA and its people.

The person named SandyCo also has some interesting points in his/her posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
In my opinion vegaspilgrim owes LA posters an apology for his negativity & gross exaggerations about Los Angeles especially since he is a newcomer & has yet to even scratch the surface of a very interesting city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 11:42 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Are you going to demand the majority of Americans who participated in the Travel&Leisure/CNN survey to apologize to Angelenos because of their negative views towards LA and its people.
Just so you know, 60,000 people is hardly the majority of Americans and does not reflect most Americans views. This survey only represents 1% of the readers of Travel and Leisure Magazine and is definitely not a representative sample of America's views. The article should be titled "Travel and Leisure Reader's Favorite Cities" not America's. If it was a representative sample, every single American would of had to have had an equal chance of being chosen to participate in the survey. Obviously, people that read this magazine were more likely to participate than the majority of Americans who don't subscribe to the magazine. Also, people were willingly able to participate and choose whether they wanted to do this survey. Basically, this survey has many flaws and may show trends among readers of the magazine, but it isn't the holy end all argument truth of America's views. Don't show too much faith in these online haphazard surveys the media loves to do because they are not true representative statistics and don't follow the ten steps statisticians follow.

Also, the people shouldn't apologize in my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and LA is definitely a more difficult city to visit. All the sites and attractions are centered in one location in many cities, but not in LA. Stuff is scattered about the entire region with Disneyland miles to the south, the beaches out to the west, Hollywood in one direction, and historic Olvera Street in another direction, etc...

Old 06-27-2008, 12:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
In my opinion vegaspilgrim owes LA posters an apology for his negativity & gross exaggerations about Los Angeles especially since he is a newcomer
Then I demand that some Angelenos to aplogize for all the times theyve said "L.A. rules the world" or "L.A. is better than any other city", etc, etc. Yes, they have said that many times. It was posts like those that made me understand why many in NV, AZ, ID, etc, dread Californians coming into their states. Of course not every Californian is like that, but if youre gonna demand vegaspilgrim apologize (which is ridiculous to begin with), I demand that some of those Californians apologize, too. That sounds fair, what say you?

Old 06-27-2008, 12:22 PM

162 posts, read 271,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Just so you know, 60,000 people is hardly the majority of Americans and does not reflect most Americans views. This survey only represents 1% of the readers of Travel and Leisure Magazine and is definitely not a representative sample of America's views. The article should be titled "Travel and Leisure Reader's Favorite Cities" not America's. If it was a representative sample, every single American would of had to have had an equal chance of being chosen to participate in the survey. Obviously, people that read this magazine were more likely to participate than the majority of Americans who don't subscribe to the magazine. Also, people were willingly able to participate and choose whether they wanted to do this survey. Basically, this survey has many flaws and may show trends among readers of the magazine, but it isn't the holy end all argument truth of America's views. Don't show too much faith in these online haphazard surveys the media loves to do because they are not true representative statistics and don't follow the ten steps statisticians follow.

Also, the people shouldn't apologize in my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and LA is definitely a more difficult city to visit. All the sites and attractions are centered in one location in many cities, but not in LA. Stuff is scattered about the entire region with Disneyland miles to the south, the beaches out to the west, Hollywood in one direction, and historic Olvera Street in another direction, etc...
Yes, that magazine caters to people who actually TRAVEL. Their opinions are useful, IMO.

I've yet to ever read anything travel/desirable/leisure/survey where Los Angeles is at top with NYC, San Fransisco, San Diego and Chicago.

That fact shouldn't be dismissed.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:25 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,119,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE1 View Post
Yes, that magazine caters to people who actually TRAVEL. Their opinions are useful, IMO.

I've yet to ever read anything travel/desirable/leisure/survey where Los Angeles is at top with NYC, San Fransisco, San Diego and Chicago.

That fact shouldn't be dismissed.
I agree 100% (even though I like LA). Those people who read that magazine are gonna better equipped to make an informed decision about cities in the country. They are much more likely to have traveled extensively across the US.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:09 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,288 times
LA has destroyed human society.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:55 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,841,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
LA has destroyed human society.
You're too kind... LA has destroyed the universe! We're all doomed! Someone invent a trans-dimensional portal to save us all!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:03 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,054 times
Is anyone really suprised that vegaspilgrim deteststs L.A? S/he has been dreading moving there for months and never really gave it a chance. I wouldn't really like living in South Central L.A either but it's pretty unfair to generalize all L.A that way. S/he might have a different opinion if they were attending UCLA and living in the Westwood/Brentwood/Santa Monica area.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:19 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,871,801 times
Most people i've met love L.A,but the one's that hate it are found on City Data.

L.A is Huge and has Millions of People,so it has it's Good and Bad Points.

The things I love about L.A is the Diversity,Scenery,Outdoor Activities,Shopping,Dining,Entertainment,Special Events,the Opportunities and the Weather.

If others don't like L.A,well that's their opinion,but it doesn't affect my love for this Wonderful City

Old 06-27-2008, 11:18 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,300,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Happ, the tone of your post does nothing to promote Los Angeles to anyone reading this thread. VegasPilgrim is in a program at USC, and that was chosen after careful consideration of all the choices available. Even though USC has the misfortune to be located in a bad part of town, it still has an amazing reputation. A year of your life isn't too much to ask in return for greater rewards in the future.

Starving students don't usually have a huge income on which to live. As the parent of a UC Berkeley student, I'm surviving, but our household isn't exactly rolling in money!

I'm sure VegasPilgrim had to choose, like many of us, to either live close to school in a gritty area, or have a pricey commute from a better one (and higher rent to boot!).

And again, VP's rant only illustrates my point that L.A. is so big that it presents many different lifestyles, depending on where you're living, what kind of life you're striving for, and so on.
Yeah, SandyCo got it right. Thanks for saying it better than I could. I'm going to USC and live right next to the campus. I'm not going to even bother responding to happ's pompous remarks. He is the unhappy one, if you ask me. I'm not saying I'm the happiest person in the world, but this poster is worse. I don't owe anyone an apology. Notice that I never said that all of LA is a ghetto. I said that the bad areas are a mind bogglingly huge portion of the greater LA megalopolis. This is a fact. I'm familar with west LA-- Westwood in particular is probably my favorite area within LA. I wish UCLA would have had the program I'm in now, but they don't. The high ticket, attractive, nice, cool, areas are actually a pretty small area when you consider how freaking gigantic the city is. I also never said Californians are close-minded, "period." I said Californians and Angelinos in particular are closed minded when it comes to what the rest of the country is like. I think my observation is fairly accurate-- and a lot of the posts right on this forum seem to confirm that. Ironically, the people I've met here who seem to have the greatest sense of perspective about what LA is all about, good and bad, are people who come from other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.