U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:20 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,056,121 times

Advertisements

Actually, come to think of it, Seattle could work too. There are mountains nearby, but it doesn't really snow in city proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:37 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,657,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Northern Georgia or the mountains near Asheville, NC may also be worth a look.
I agree that the souther appalachians might be exactly what you are looking for. It is the only place that comes close to your requirements of having mountains, affordable housing, and more temperate weather. Check out the many cities located near the mountain chain in southwestern VA, eastern TN, western NC, and north GA.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:35 AM

179 posts, read 570,852 times
You're not going to find a condo, much less a house (especially with land), anywhere near 200k around Durango, Prescott, or Flagstaff. The housing markets are still insane around these towns. New Mexico is a great place to check out. There are still some undiscovered towns scattered in there. Check out Red River, NM. It may be difficult locating a job there, but you never know.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,002,332 times
Try the Ozark mountains of Arkansas and Missouri. Plenty of outdoor activities from mountain biking, adventure racing, canoeing, kayaking, lots of great hiking. Winters are mild with a few snow and ice storms. Summers are pretty hot and humid but not nearly so bad as the rest of the real South. Here's a tourist web site for Arkansas with plenty of info on the Ozarks - Arkansas Tourism Official Site - Fun Affordable Family Vacations - State of Arkansas. I'm sure Mizzou has one too. Lots of Californians moving to AR to escape the high cost of living and replace it with a laid back, friendly atmosphere in a place where you can actually have the money and time to enjoy your surroundings instead of being cooped up in the car commuting.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:46 AM

25 posts, read 64,939 times
IF you want to stay in Cali, Yosemite is really nice. You have a bunch of small towns up here. Oakhurst (45 min north of Fresno) and Mariposa are the bigger ones. Oakhurst has a population of 13,000 and I'm not sure of Mariposa. You have North Fork which is about 25 min from Oakhurst. It's really pretty up here and the winters are very mild. Last winter it only snowed a few times and it was gone in a couple of days. I was raised in Vegas and I was able to handle the winter with no problem. The summers are really nice too. You also have bass lake between North Fork and Oakhurst.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:12 AM

3,940 posts, read 13,350,634 times
Durango, CO or Pueblo, CO are mountain towns with low snowfall amounts. Actually, Pueblo is on the high plains next to the mountains. Each town has a southwest feel to it. Try other towns in Southern Colorado.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:34 AM

845 posts, read 2,483,545 times
Western North Carolina or Northern Georgia. Maybe even Virginia. Beautiful tree covered mountains with not too much snow and mild enough summers.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:53 PM

46 posts, read 187,039 times
Wow, thanks for all of the input! I'll be sure to check out the different areas.

Emily

Old 06-25-2008, 10:16 PM

5,232 posts, read 11,689,587 times
Southwestern Virginia is absolutely gorgeous with relatively mild winters in many places. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I were able to. Check south of Roanoke like Floyd, Carroll, and Grayson counties. I just love it there.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:37 PM

46 posts, read 187,039 times
What kind of work is there in Floyd, Carroll, and Grayson Counties? I was looking at Hillsville, Va and it looks absolutely beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or