U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:20 PM

5,233 posts, read 11,704,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelover17 View Post
What kind of work is there in Floyd, Carroll, and Grayson Counties? I was looking at Hillsville, Va and it looks absolutely beautiful!

Yes, that was another town I visited while there but unfortunately, I haven't a clue about work. Galax is nice too, a little larger, but that entire area is just great. If I retire there, I won't have to worry about work. That's one reason why I keep "hanging in there" so I won't have to find another job. Retirement is about seven years away, and I absolutely cannot wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 08:38 PM

2,735 posts, read 5,967,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Shenandoah Valley area of VA.
That's where I'm going

Old 06-26-2008, 08:40 PM

2,735 posts, read 5,967,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Try the Ozark mountains of Arkansas and Missouri. Plenty of outdoor activities from mountain biking, adventure racing, canoeing, kayaking, lots of great hiking. Winters are mild with a few snow and ice storms. Summers are pretty hot and humid but not nearly so bad as the rest of the real South. Here's a tourist web site for Arkansas with plenty of info on the Ozarks - Arkansas Tourism Official Site - Fun Affordable Family Vacations - State of Arkansas. I'm sure Mizzou has one too. Lots of Californians moving to AR to escape the high cost of living and replace it with a laid back, friendly atmosphere in a place where you can actually have the money and time to enjoy your surroundings instead of being cooped up in the car commuting.

I definately agree!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:48 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,440,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Try the Ozark mountains of Arkansas and Missouri. Plenty of outdoor activities from mountain biking, adventure racing, canoeing, kayaking, lots of great hiking. Winters are mild with a few snow and ice storms. Summers are pretty hot and humid but not nearly so bad as the rest of the real South. Here's a tourist web site for Arkansas with plenty of info on the Ozarks - Arkansas Tourism Official Site - Fun Affordable Family Vacations - State of Arkansas. I'm sure Mizzou has one too. Lots of Californians moving to AR to escape the high cost of living and replace it with a laid back, friendly atmosphere in a place where you can actually have the money and time to enjoy your surroundings instead of being cooped up in the car commuting.

I second the Arkansas reco! What a beautiful, underrated state.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I second the Arkansas reco! What a beautiful, underrated state.
It is pretty, but I think it's way too hot and humid.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:44 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,641,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
It is pretty, but I think it's way too hot and humid.
that's in low elevations near the LA border and also close to the TN border, but in the higher elevations of the Ozarks in summer, the high's are in the mid-80s lows in the lower 60s, not too bad, IMO.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:56 PM

343 posts, read 847,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelover17 View Post
Hello! My name's Emily and my family and I are looking to move out of California in the next two years. The problem is...we don't know where to go! We love the mountains, but many mountain states seem to have extreme weather, with winters lasting half the year! Are there any mountain communities where temperatures don't dip below zero, don't get 100+ inches of snow, and where it's not 100* + in the summer? We'd like to be in a small town with no more than 10,000 people, near a lake/stream/creek, with affordable housing (less than $200,000??), a hospital nearby, and where crime isn't out of control. Good school aren't a necessity, as the youngest will soon be finished with school. Does such a place exist within the good ol' US of A?
Perhaps Albuquerque or other NM locales. The winters are pretty mild and the housing is pretty affordable. But why would you want to leave CA?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
that's in low elevations near the LA border and also close to the TN border, but in the higher elevations of the Ozarks in summer, the high's are in the mid-80s lows in the lower 60s, not too bad, IMO.
Wow, that's not bad at all.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:59 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,943,229 times
Santa Cruz Mts. Problem is, the place is burning up and the fact that it's in the dreaded California-$$$$$$ ! Arkansas is off my list primarily because of the bugs I hear of. Arkansas does have one thing to boast about though. It was the place where the toothbrush was invented. How do we know this ?

Because if it was invented anywhere else it would be call a teethbrush !

Old 06-28-2008, 02:03 PM

46 posts, read 187,253 times
Where I live in California it's extremely crowded, noisy, crime-filled, and expensive, not to mention hot (it was 96* in the SHADE the other day). In fact, I can't afford to live here anymore. Unless one makes a killing working for some big company, it's pretty much impossible to survive here (unless, of course, you don't mind being in debt). At heart I'm a country gal and think it's time to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or